Government to re-invent sat nav and Google maps?

David9694

Government to re-invent sat nav and Google maps?

Post by David9694 »

What was this I heard in the news a few days ago that by 2025 the government are doing something that will divert traffic away from congestion?

Nay, nay and thrice nay! was my reaction - we’ve got enough cars rat-running down our country lanes. Plus it’s already been done, hasn’t it?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
al_yrpal

Re: Government to re-invent sat nav and Google maps?

Post by al_yrpal »

Personally I quite like curent sat navs because they do keep traffic on Motorways and trunk roads leaving the byways for me to dawdle along on a bike or my Classic motor. Leave well alone..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The problem is that the data is delayed....

Once you have a problem, and the SatNav starts diverting, there is already a jam.

It then diverts on to alternative routes and these become overcrowded and jammed... however until the system is updated, it will continue to divert traffic on to the overloaded diversion route

Until the system for recognising obstructions is more efficient and timely, this is a red herring

... and before certain people suggest otherwise:

1. This is not a complaint about SatNAv technology - it is a statement of the fact there are delays and how they are dealt with
2. It is not an expectation that the system should predict the accident before it happens, it is a statement of what happens in reality)
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

or to avoid the congestion from building in the first place they reduce the speeds on all roads and increase active travel, just a thought. :roll:
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

To use a dreadful metaphor, instead of messing about dishing out 2 paracetamol and a kindly smile from the nice nurse, they should grow some cojones and amputate the diseased limb.

Fiddling here, faffing there, it achieves nothing, the Government needs to get some vehicles off the road, and take some steps to reduce the miles and access for those that remain.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Like the current obsession with electric cars: they'll reduce emissions along the roads but not in toto because they have to get their power from a power station, and they'll do absolutely zilch to reduce congestion.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

brooksby wrote:Like the current obsession with electric cars: they'll reduce emissions along the roads but not in toto because they have to get their power from a power station, and they'll do absolutely zilch to reduce congestion.

Electric cars go hand in hand with renewables.

Plus power stations are more efficient at extracting energy than car engines - and that's before you factor in the increasing hard and energy inefficient problem of obtaining your cars fuel in the first place. (Did you know most refinery's have their own power station? Takes a lot of energy to refine fuel, plus all those ships, petrol tankers, off shore oil rigs complete with helicopter ferrying of personnel etc etc).
Nothings perfect, but don't fall into the trap of ignoring the full picture and the long goal.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Fiddling here, faffing there, it achieves nothing, the Government needs to get some vehicles off the road, and take some steps to reduce the miles and access for those that remain.
This has just reminded me of something I thought about whilst cycling the other day.

Tavistock, Devon.
In the centre of town - I don't mean the town centre - there are a few industrial estates. Pixon Lane area.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Tav ... d-4.141654

I was cycling north of the town, and I see they are building housing schemes on beautiful green Devon fields. There's one on the Brentor road near the top of Butchers Park Hill and another one up from the hospital on Launceston Road.

Those houses won't be on the bus route, there's no pavements, no shops, no facilities, no nothing. It means that people living there cannot live there without a car.

If they built industrial units there instead of houses, they could demolish all the present industrial units at Pixon Lane and build housing.
These houses are a short walk to the schools, the shops and supermarkets, the park, the town centre, and with pavements and busses.
Mick F. Cornwall
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Cradle to grave, even in in countries such as France which generates almost 75% of its power by nuclear means, electric cars are still responsible for more emissions an pollution than a small, lightweight petrol car.

In the UK, using a typical mix of generating methods, a BMW 750i creates less less emissions, cradle to grave, than a Njssan Leaf.

Electric cars are a step in the right direction, but they're not yet our saviour. Most electric cars fall woefully short - a Leaf weighs one and a half tonnes, 1500 odd kg of steel, alloy, plastics, and hideously polluting to produce rare Earth metals. As well as improving battery technology they want to start evolving a new concept, not simply recreate what we already have but with electric motors, as that solves little.

And they could all be powered with fairy dust and dog farts, but most of them will be driven round on inappropriate short journeys, more often than not with a sole occupant. The culture needs to change as much as the vehicles do.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

kwackers wrote:
brooksby wrote:Like the current obsession with electric cars: they'll reduce emissions along the roads but not in toto because they have to get their power from a power station, and they'll do absolutely zilch to reduce congestion.

Electric cars go hand in hand with renewables.

Plus power stations are more efficient at extracting energy than car engines - and that's before you factor in the increasing hard and energy inefficient problem of obtaining your cars fuel in the first place. (Did you know most refinery's have their own power station? Takes a lot of energy to refine fuel, plus all those ships, petrol tankers, off shore oil rigs complete with helicopter ferrying of personnel etc etc).
Nothings perfect, but don't fall into the trap of ignoring the full picture and the long goal.

Fair enough: but even granting that, they’ll still do sod all for congestion- they’re still a car for four carrying one on a short journey that could be walked or travelled by other means, aren’t they?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
al_yrpal wrote:Personally I quite like curent sat navs because they do keep traffic on Motorways and trunk roads leaving the byways for me to dawdle along on a bike or my Classic motor. Leave well alone..

Al

Do They?
Just last week an artic was stuck in my village, if you knew the road no driver would want to go there.
Hasn't this been a gripe for many years with sat nav.
Well I was following a cycle specific (well I thought) route and no idea where I was.......it lead me through kissing gates and along paths..........I was lucky as I could just remove gates :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
al_yrpal wrote:Personally I quite like curent sat navs because they do keep traffic on Motorways and trunk roads leaving the byways for me to dawdle along on a bike or my Classic motor. Leave well alone..

Al

Do They?
Just last week an artic was stuck in my village, if you knew the road no driver would want to go there.
Hasn't this been a gripe for many years with sat nav.
Well I was following a cycle specific (well I thought) route and no idea where I was.......it lead me through kissing gates and along paths..........I was lucky as I could just remove gates :?

Problem is that NavTeq who provide most mapping data used Ordnance Survey data as a base.

OS has some 40 definitions of roads and tracks, SatNav data has about half a dozen.

Cynically

1. Motorways
2. Dual Carriage ways
3. Big roads
4. Roads that are not big, but not very small either
5. Roads that are small, but we don't think they are too small (honest)
6. Roads that are quite small, and actually may really be byways or similar, but we will include them as they are not actually footpaths or tracks footpaths, so we will mark them as roads.... you will soon find out when you use them

That is why the issue of inappropriate use occurs.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

There are now Sat Navs specific to large vehicles and for Caravans and Motor Homes. The stuck Artic driver obviously wasnt using one. As far as I know Google Maps doesnt cater for large vehicles

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

brooksby wrote:Fair enough: but even granting that, they’ll still do sod all for congestion- they’re still a car for four carrying one on a short journey that could be walked or travelled by other means, aren’t they?

Can't argue with that. Another good thing about electric cars is when they're stuck in a queue things are a lot more pleasant...
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Methinks they a message saying

Youre joking, I'm not doing a route for that... walk you lazy person

....may not be a selling point