some wins for London

mercalia

some wins for London

Post by mercalia »

Big win: Bank junction safety scheme made permanent

https://lcc.org.uk/articles/big-win-bank-junction-safety-scheme-made-permanent

Cycle Superhighway 6 goes from Elephant & Castle to King’s Cross

The Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has this morning officially opened an extension to Cycle Superhighway 6. He rode on the cycleway alongside London's
cycling and walking commissioner Will Norman.

https://www.bikebiz.com/community/cs6-opened-by-sadiq-khan
mjr

Re: some wins for London

Post by mjr »

Official video from Mayor's Office https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkaJlmzJhZ0

Has anyone found a full ride-through of the extension yet? I wonder if it's worth switching from my previous Mount Pleasant / Hatton Garden / Shoe Lane route.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
james01

Post by james01 »

Positive news.
I visit London rarely, but in recent years the improvement in cycle routes, and consequent number of cyclists, is remarkable. I recently cycled from Paddington to Tower Bridge via Hyde Park, Westminster and Victoria Embankment in the rush hour and felt almost cosseted by all the facilities!
It would be nice to see more Amsterdam-style cyclists in "normal" clothes - urban cycling here still has a bit of a sporty image, a bit off-putting for nervous newbies.
Another point - has anyone else noticed a big increase in horn use by motorists against other motorists in stationary or slow traffic, especially in London? It's pointless, illegal, it's usually an expression of frustration or anger but does nothing to calm the nerves of travellers.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

james01 wrote:Positive news.
I visit London rarely, but in recent years the improvement in cycle routes, and consequent number of cyclists, is remarkable. I recently cycled from Paddington to Tower Bridge via Hyde Park, Westminster and Victoria Embankment in the rush hour and felt almost cosseted by all the facilities!
It would be nice to see more Amsterdam-style cyclists in "normal" clothes - urban cycling here still has a bit of a sporty image, a bit off-putting for nervous newbies.
Another point - has anyone else noticed a big increase in horn use by motorists against other motorists in stationary or slow traffic, especially in London? It's pointless, illegal, it's usually an expression of frustration or anger but does nothing to calm the nerves of travellers.

I suspect that is something which has been imported along with lots of other bad driving practices. I have often worked in countries where regular sounding of the horn is required just to keep the vehicle moving.
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

What route did you take from Paddington to Hyde Park? I’m a tourist arriving with my bike in November (2018) staying in Willesden. Google maps shows a great bike route from willesden to Hyde park along a canal (unnamed on map). The corresponding west-east bike superhighway starts on the western end around Westway A40. Getting from the canal bike route near little Venice to Hyde park looks...intimidating. Once I get to the superhighway I should be fine getting to Thames. Google maps shows a bike way that continues along the canal heading east to st Mary’s hospital and then to Hyde park. I’m wondering if you could share yr route. Thank you. I’ll be exploring the London area and sights mostly by bike.

Johnnyg
mjr

Post by mjr »

Johnnyg wrote:Getting from the canal bike route near little Venice to Hyde park looks...intimidating.

It's OK IIRC: go from the canalside to London St, straight over Praed St (lights IIRC), continue straight on until a right turn into Stanhope Terrace, curve left, then straight across (lights again, I think) into the park.

Going the other way, I'm not sure how it works now. London St is one-way southbound and I don't think cycles are excepted. Ideally, you'll continue along the superhighway and turn right on Craven St for Praed St, then left inyo London St. Not as quiet as southbound but OK.

Bishop's Bridge wasn't much fun IMO.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

Thanks MJR!
gaz

Post by gaz »

mjr wrote:Has anyone found a full ride-through of the extension yet?

[youtube]ufPMzIC1lJI[/youtube]