Children to be banned from riding bikes without number plates.

Psamathe

Re: Children to be banned from riding bikes without number plates.

Post by Psamathe »

meic wrote:The number of complaints for cycling children is disproportionately high because cyclists annoy motorists.
This is paradise for motorists, they can complain to an "authority" who only has the power to judge the pupil and not the complainant. Much better than going to the Police who might ask awkward questions about the car's conduct.
The headteacher doesnt have to stick to the highway code or even the law when making their judgements, they can apply the Daily Mail test of reasonable cycling conduct if they wish.
It just isnt fair being a kid, especially if you want to ride a bike.

You raise a good point. Can the school justify punishing a child based of the word of a motorist (who may or may not have a prejudice againt cyclists). And can a school punish a child for behaviour that is not illegal and takes place outside school premesis and outside school hours and without corrobative evidence.

Ian
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

What a shame these little ******* weren't wearing plates identifying them!

While trying to put out the rubbish fire, the youths also tried to start another fire nearby, say the fire service.

The incident comes after the service recently fitted firefighters with body cameras in a pilot scheme to help stem the rising number of attacks.

Chief Fire Officer Ian Hayton said: “Make no mistake such totally irresponsible behaviour will not be tolerated. We join forces with other emergency services in condemning these incidents.

“We have a duty to protect our firefighters who are protecting the local community. With body cameras and CCTV cameras we will now be able to capture more evidence of those involved.”

From April 2015 to the end of March 2016 there were 28 reported violent attacks on crews.

In the same period from April last year to March 2018 there were 45 such incidents – an increase of just over 60% over three years.

There were 31 incidents in 2016/2017.

OT, but I still reckon that anyone who interferes with, delays or threatens emergency services needs a special type of punishment
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

bovlomov wrote:Among all the awful things about school, what I hated most was collective punishment. This is just another collective punishment.

At risk of drifting off topic, this was written by the daughter of an acquaintance of mine:
FB_IMG_1539532902274.jpg

There's hope for the future yet. :mrgreen:
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Pastychomper wrote:
bovlomov wrote:Among all the awful things about school, what I hated most was collective punishment. This is just another collective punishment.

At risk of drifting off topic, this was written by the daughter of an acquaintance of mine:
FB_IMG_1539532902274.jpg

Plus One, is she going into politricks?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Pastychomper

That's brilliant. The future seems to be in safe hands - or at least some safe hands. A sincere pat on the back to the author from me.
Last edited by thirdcrank on 14 Oct 2018, 7:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Pastychomper wrote:

FB_IMG_1539532902274.jpg

I wish I'd been clever enough to say that to my teachers - even if it would have resulted in a caning (perhaps for the whole class).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Collective punishment is bad enough, but I read about one regime where the offender was not punished but all other members of the group were :(

Didn't work so a wall had to be built, 28 years later it was removed (1989)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Dang, looks like I misattributed the above quote - said acquaintance was actually quoting a picture that went viral a few months ago, which I missed the first time around.

Still, it seems that feedback really was written by a British schoolchild some time last year, and she was suitably rewarded (two icecreams from her father). +1 for her, and another +1 for him!
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Collective punishment seems very common in the UK. Not just in schools. You know.... one person steals stuff from work, and they put up turnstile gates so that people can barely carry a briefcase out with them. One person abuses flexi-time rules, and everyone loses their flexi-time. Etc.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Barks

Post by Barks »

Yes, when a chap riding a bike in the UK that did not comply with the braking requirement collided with a woman who walked into the road in front of him and she very sadly died, the whole media and motoring mad public clamoured for an immediate change in the law for all cyclists which the politicians gleefully grasped as an opportunity to introduce new legislation - this of course despite spending years of prevarication over bringing in amendments to driving laws to help prevent hundreds of deaths and thousands of serious injuries that result from dreadful driving occuring every year.
mjr

Post by mjr »

bovlomov wrote:I wish I'd been clever enough to say that to my teachers - even if it would have resulted in a caning (perhaps for the whole class).

It's not particularly clever to be that blatant about it. Writing something completely true but unwelcome in one of my school reports (yes, I'm young enough that this solution to rubbish teacher-pupil ratios was already used) resulted in me being called to see the head of year and losing a lunchtime rewriting it (or possibly refusing to rewrite - I don't recall). So I suspect that "viral" image is probably fake to get past probably three teachers (subject, head of subject and form) without getting referred to the head of year, or it might be a rare case where those three are the same person and they're very liberal.

With hindsight, I think it would be much cleverer to be subtle and see if you can sneak some fun past the edu-gulag wardens, such as scattering song titles or band names in all the subject reports, or doing traffic-police direction hand signals during a presentation.
Last edited by mjr on 15 Oct 2018, 1:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Vorpal wrote:Collective punishment seems very common in the UK. Not just in schools. You know.... one person steals stuff from work, and they put up turnstile gates so that people can barely carry a briefcase out with them. One person abuses flexi-time rules, and everyone loses their flexi-time. Etc.

The same has happened with minorities. Traveller communities are punished because some of them are thieves and conmen. Black people are punished (disproportionately stopped and searched, for example) because some of them carry drugs and knives. Brown people are punished because some have vowed to destroy western civilisation. In the past, Irish people were punished because some threw bombs around.

But why associate the crime with the group at all? In all of those cases it would be fairer to deal with the miscreants rather than the whole community - especially because the 'community' is often misidentified. Dealing with crime individually would be more effective too. Indeed, it could hardly be less effective than collective punishment, which can only generate hostility and resentment, as well as wasting resources. (I know this because my schools wasted a lot of resources on collective punishments and I feel hostility and resentment towards them.)
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mjr wrote:With hindsight, I think it would be much cleverer to be subtle and see if you can sneak some fun past the edu-gulag wardens, such as scattering song titles or band names in all the subject reports, or doing traffic-police direction hand signals during a presentation.

The only resistance I could muster was of the dumb kind - being a source of perpetual disappointment to the teachers. I have eleven years of school reports that say so.

Still - when I cycled to school, it was without helmet or registration plate. It was the one infringement of liberties they hadn't yet considered.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

A few years ago, I asked a former professor for a reference.

He remembered about me that I used to stick stuff in my reports like , 'Do you really read all this?' OR 'What is the difference between my report and Robert's?

He always put a little comment next to those things. I think it amused him when he was sitting grading reports.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

bovlomov wrote:The same has happened with minorities. Traveller communities are punished because some of them are thieves and conmen. Black people are punished (disproportionately stopped and searched, for example) because some of them carry drugs and knives. Brown people are punished because some have vowed to destroy western civilisation. In the past, Irish people were punished because some threw bombs around.

But why associate the crime with the group at all? In all of those cases it would be fairer to deal with the miscreants rather than the whole community - especially because the 'community' is often misidentified. Dealing with crime individually would be more effective too. Indeed, it could hardly be less effective than collective punishment, which can only generate hostility and resentment, as well as wasting resources. (I know this because my schools wasted a lot of resources on collective punishments and I feel hostility and resentment towards them.)

Actually, I think in the case of minorities, it's quite the opposite. Even though they offend at the same (or sometimes lower) rates as other groups, people perceive they they offend at higher rates. It's rather like cyclists and red light jumping.

Punishment of the group is due to racism, not offending by some members.

Acts of terrorism or war are somewhat different, although bigotry often plays a role in one or both sides of that, as well.