Children to be banned from riding bikes without number plates.

kwackers

Children to be banned from riding bikes without number plates.

Post by kwackers »

BBC wrote:Children have been told they will be banned from cycling to their south London school if they do not put number plates on their bikes.

Teachers at Stanley Park High, in Carshalton, are introducing the scheme so members of the public can report pupils cycling dangerously.

The secondary school said the main aim was to keep children safe.

Charity Cycling UK questioned why Stanley Park High "want to make cycling to school more difficult".

I suspect avoiding the comments section will be good for ones sanity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45636870
Bonefishblues

Re: Children to be banned from riding bikes without number plates.

Post by Bonefishblues »

...so of course off we all go to precisely those! :lol:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I went to add this to the school's page on Wikipedia (embarrass them a bit) but somebody got there before me (and their effort was better than I'd intended). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Park_High_School

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If school heads feel it's important to be able to identify delinquents on the journey to or from school, the logic seems to be to have prominent personal ID on the school uniform. That would deter both walkers and cyclists.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:I went to add this to the school's page on Wikipedia (embarrass them a bit) but somebody got there before me (and their effort was better than I'd intended). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Park_High_School

Ian

Good to know it's focusing on the right stuff, what with it being one of the UK's worst schools (reportedly...)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

thirdcrank wrote:If school heads feel it's important to be able to identify delinquents on the journey to or from school, the logic seems to be to have prominent personal ID on the school uniform. That would deter both walkers and cyclists.

A number and a bar-code, like a prison uniform :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It is the worst school and the best school, Plusminus One!

Both are true
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:If school heads feel it's important to be able to identify delinquents on the journey to or from school, the logic seems to be to have prominent personal ID on the school uniform. That would deter both walkers and cyclists.

A number and a bar-code, like a prison uniform :wink:

I knew he was a wrong 'un Sarge, he was wearing a school uniform.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I went to add this to the school's page on Wikipedia (embarrass them a bit) but somebody got there before me (and their effort was better than I'd intended). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Park_High_School

Ian

Good to know it's focusing on the right stuff, what with it being one of the UK's worst schools (reportedly...)

Indeed. Perhaps it's time for shaming badges to be worn by the staff, so we can all report them to someone or other for being hopeless at teaching or even damaging to the educational prospects of their charges?

This may also be a good notion for politicians, fatcats and other authority figures. It would be good to be able to know them as what they are should one come across them in the street or in the park. I have several lectures about my person that I feel they would benefit from should I deliver them the contents, in a loud and persistent manner.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Why do Constables wear id numbers?
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

The article says that the head has said they're "aware of issues" with school-age children in the area riding badly. Do they know that the kids in question are definitely from this school? If so, it seems to me that a number plate isn't necessary...

I honestly don't see how the school can stop their students riding a bike to school, anyway. If they brought in this number plate scheme then any child without one could presumably ride to school and then lock their bike up outside the school grounds?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cugel wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Ian

Indeed. Perhaps it's time for shaming badges to be worn by the staff, so we can all report them to someone or other for being hopeless at teaching or even damaging to the educational prospects of their charges?

This may also be a good notion for politicians, fatcats and other authority figures. It would be good to be able to know them as what they are should one come across them in the street or in the park. I have several lectures about my person that I feel they would benefit from should I deliver them the contents, in a loud and persistent manner.

Cugel

You are closer to the truth than you know....

Teachers in a 'drunken brawl' on school trip to Barcelona
Pupils at Stanley Park High School were left terrified as their supervisors allegedly came to blows after a drunken night out in Spain

The holiday included a tour of the Nou Camp, Barcelona FC’s home stadium, and a trip to the Aventura water park, but was allegedly ruined after a late night row between teachers scared the pupils.
According to reports, staff members, who were lead on the tour by Head of Performance Paul Stapleton, went out for drinks on the eve of their return home.

They have been accused of becoming drunk and rowdy, waking up children late at nights and leaving one sick pupil without her medication.
Parents have claimed the teachers started fighting in front of the children and shouting offensive comments at each other. The ensuing bust up is said to have left one member of staff with a black eye.
It is claimed that at least one punch was thrown before the fight was broken up.
Mr Stapleton declined to comment but the school confirmed it has launched an investigation into the incident, which it described as “extremely serious”.
One parent whose child was on the trip said the fight broke out between teachers just before the end of the holiday on May 29, while the group were staying at Hotel Samba in Lloret de Mar.
She said: "My child sent me a text message saying how scared she was to go to sleep because there were drunk teachers fighting. She said they were all teachers and were calling each other very rude words.
"They hit each other and the students were all very scared. One teacher came away with a black eye"
She added: "There was another girl who wasn't very well on the trip and they couldn't find the teacher who had their medication because they had gone drinking."
Another parent said: “If the pupils managed to behave themselves for a week then the teachers should be able to restrain themselves. They should not be going out and getting drunk when they have 75 children in their care."
A spokeswoman for Stanley Park High said the teachers would be sanctioned if an ongoing investigation “deemed it appropriate”.
“The school has taken all matters very seriously and we have been conducting a thorough and detailed investigation upon the return of the school trip into the allegation made,” she said.
"The safety and well being of our students is always at the forefront of what we do and action will be taken if deemed appropriate."
The 1,100-pupil school was found to "require improvement" in its latest Ofsted inspection, which was completed in July last year.
On the issue of student safety while outside the school's premises, the report concluded: "The school’s arrangements for safeguarding meet statutory requirements and the school’s record-keeping is exemplary. Off-site provision is carefully monitored."
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The other issue is that like most schools there are problems with parking, and especially inappropriate parking in the local area. Number plates don't seem to have enabled this Head Teacher to address this issue.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Apart from the obvious daft policies that should be blocked, I would be interested to know how they intend to implement this to achieve their justifications. How/where are they going to fit a number plate such that others can see and read and record that numberplate when some child is allegedly riding badly. Has to be big enough to be read from a distance, aligned to that passers by can read it quickly, etc.

Practicalities will be interesting as I suspect the scheme is probably for reasons other than stated (though purely personal opinion as I have no knowledge of the school, etc.).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cunobelin wrote:
Cugel wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Good to know it's focusing on the right stuff, what with it being one of the UK's worst schools (reportedly...)

Cugel

You are closer to the truth than you know....

Teachers in a 'drunken brawl' on school trip to Barcelona
Pupils at Stanley Park High School were left terrified as their supervisors allegedly came to blows after a drunken night out in Spain

The holiday included a tour of the Nou Camp, Barcelona FC’s home stadium, and a trip to the Aventura water park, but was allegedly ruined after a late night row between teachers scared the pupils.
According to reports, staff members, who were lead on the tour by Head of Performance Paul Stapleton, went out for drinks on the eve of their return home.

They have been accused of becoming drunk and rowdy, waking up children late at nights and leaving one sick pupil without her medication.
Parents have claimed the teachers started fighting in front of the children and shouting offensive comments at each other. The ensuing bust up is said to have left one member of staff with a black eye.
It is claimed that at least one punch was thrown before the fight was broken up.
Mr Stapleton declined to comment but the school confirmed it has launched an investigation into the incident, which it described as “extremely serious”.
One parent whose child was on the trip said the fight broke out between teachers just before the end of the holiday on May 29, while the group were staying at Hotel Samba in Lloret de Mar.
She said: "My child sent me a text message saying how scared she was to go to sleep because there were drunk teachers fighting. She said they were all teachers and were calling each other very rude words.
"They hit each other and the students were all very scared. One teacher came away with a black eye"
She added: "There was another girl who wasn't very well on the trip and they couldn't find the teacher who had their medication because they had gone drinking."
Another parent said: “If the pupils managed to behave themselves for a week then the teachers should be able to restrain themselves. They should not be going out and getting drunk when they have 75 children in their care."
A spokeswoman for Stanley Park High said the teachers would be sanctioned if an ongoing investigation “deemed it appropriate”.
“The school has taken all matters very seriously and we have been conducting a thorough and detailed investigation upon the return of the school trip into the allegation made,” she said.
"The safety and well being of our students is always at the forefront of what we do and action will be taken if deemed appropriate."
The 1,100-pupil school was found to "require improvement" in its latest Ofsted inspection, which was completed in July last year.
On the issue of student safety while outside the school's premises, the report concluded: "The school’s arrangements for safeguarding meet statutory requirements and the school’s record-keeping is exemplary. Off-site provision is carefully monitored."

Maybe that should be added to the Wikipedia entry for the school. Do you have a source for the story and then it can be added (they'd need a reference). If you don't want to add it let me know (and the link to a source) and I'll add it (I've been flagged as not needing patrolling when making changes/additions on Wikipedia so I'm not so closely scrutinised).

Ian