Bike crash: The first things to do in the aftermath

thirdcrank

Bike crash: The first things to do in the aftermath

Post by thirdcrank »

Some advice from the BBC about what to do if you are involved in a crash. There's some wise advice in there, but it seems to concentrate on crashes with other cyclists or pedestrians, with insufficient about being hit by a motor vehicle
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45703513
Cunobelin

Re: Bike crash: The first things to do in the aftermath

Post by Cunobelin »

Have posted this before, but....

Don't forget that if you are unfortunate to be in an incident, you are going to be upset, furious, weepy, hurt, anxious, and a mixture of other emotions. You will simply NOT remember half of this.

Get yourself a small laminated (credit card size) Aide Memoire and put it in your wallet or tool kit to remind you
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

They also don't include something else that is important:
record or write down everything that you remember as soon as possible, especially things people said or did which may not be in photos or police reports.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Cunobelin wrote: ... Don't forget that if you are unfortunate to be in an incident, you are going to be upset, furious, weepy, hurt, anxious, and a mixture of other emotions. ...

And that's if you are lucky enough to be alive and conscious.

==============================================================================
It includes:-
Sign, date and put a time on your account, and keep it safe

without telling you to write an account. Perhaps it was edited. :?
mjr

Post by mjr »

The above article was subject to a "do not collaborate" warning from some campaigners online. There's already much better guides online and focusing on hitting other vulnerable users rather than the more common collision type is just Bike Bashing Corporation yet again.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:Have posted this before, but....

Don't forget that if you are unfortunate to be in an incident, you are going to be upset, furious, weepy, hurt, anxious, and a mixture of other emotions. You will simply NOT remember half of this.

Get yourself a small laminated (credit card size) Aide Memoire and put it in your wallet or tool kit to remind you

It would need to be bigger than a bank card, one should take fotos, get witnesses
I am so *** scared of an incident, I take great care to avoid danger, for example where I have priority to cross a road I wait instead until there is a gap, take longer routes &c
Unbelievably (not) I was waiting today at a crossing where I did not have priority, a police vehicle stopped and the driver tried to wave me across. Sadly all too believable, fortunately an exchange of opinions did not follow
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

thirdcrank wrote:
Cunobelin wrote: ... Don't forget that if you are unfortunate to be in an incident, you are going to be upset, furious, weepy, hurt, anxious, and a mixture of other emotions. ...

And that's if you are lucky enough to be alive and conscious.

==============================================================================
It includes:-
Sign, date and put a time on your account, and keep it safe

without telling you to write an account. Perhaps it was edited. :?

The entire OP and link would also be irrelevant in that case.

The assumption is that this applies to the vast majority of accidents that don't end up as unconscious or worse
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

It would need to be bigger than a bank card, one should take fotos, get witnesses
I am so *** scared of an incident, I take great care to avoid danger, for example where I have priority to cross a road I wait instead until there is a gap, take longer routes &c
Unbelievably (not) I was waiting today at a crossing where I did not have priority, a police vehicle stopped and the driver tried to wave me across. Sadly all too believable, fortunately an exchange of opinions did not follow

I can't help thinking that some of the antipathy towards cyclists comes from incidents such as you describe, where another road user is trying to be courteous and is either ignored or admonished for his pains.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Airsporter1st wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

I can't help thinking that some of the antipathy towards cyclists comes from incidents such as you describe, where another road user is trying to be courteous and is either ignored or admonished for his pains.

Courteous? Breaking the law! I would have liked to have given her a mouthful but I know better than to argue with a policeperson
I try to never to make eye contact, keep them guessing (I have good peripheral vision)
Sum

Post by Sum »

Airsporter1st wrote:I can't help thinking that some of the antipathy towards cyclists comes from incidents such as you describe, where another road user is trying to be courteous and is either ignored or admonished for his pains.
+1
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Airsporter1st wrote:I can't help thinking that some of the antipathy towards cyclists comes from incidents such as you describe, where another road user is trying to be courteous and is either ignored or admonished for his pains.

Maybe. But courteous isn't always safe.
A few weeks ago, a van driver tried to let me out when he had priority, but I couldn't see around him to tell if something else was coming, so I waited. And he was obviously irritated that I wouldn't go.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:

A few weeks ago, a van driver tried to let me out when he had priority, but I couldn't see around him to tell if something else was coming, so I waited. And he was obviously irritated that I wouldn't go.

Best to ignore them and stick to the law
My first motor vehicle was written off when someone tried to wave someone who did not have priority out
Tjm1986

Post by Tjm1986 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

Best to ignore them and stick to the law
My first motor vehicle was written off when someone tried to wave someone who did not have priority out

This

I work in the ambulance service and have seen time and time again what happens when people rely on somebody elses (at times worse) judgements never put yourself in that situation only make a manouver when you feel safe to do so not when another road user thinks you are. I had it once where I was pulling out of a junction to the left and the lorry next to me was turning right but I couldn't see as he was in the way he waved me out saying it was clear so I moved off only to be nearly rear ended by a car as I couldn't gain speed quick enough 4 ton ambulances dont accelerate quickly.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cunobelin wrote:Don't forget that if you are unfortunate to be in an incident, you are going to be upset, furious, weepy, hurt, anxious, and a mixture of other emotions. You will simply NOT remember half of this.
Don't forget, also, that it is quite likely that you will be bullied or deceived by the offending motorist...

I post this because I now (with hindsight) have strong suspicions that this actually happened to me. I reported on this forum, about a crash I had some six years ago. I was not seriously hurt but was bleeding profusely from a nose-bleed. The driver who knocked me off handed me his phone, which he said was already on-line to the ambulance service, he having made the 999 call....

What I do recall is that the ambulance service kept me on the phone for an inordinate length of time, going into every imaginable fine detail about my state of health. During all this time, of course, I was unable to collect the driver's details or any other information.

Long after the event, I began to wonder whether I was actually online to the ambulance service in the first place. It could have been a friend of the driver's impersonating an ambulance worker...

And furthermore, no ambulance ever turned up. True, I didn't need one. The police told me they'd cancelled the ambulance. Do they have powers to do that?

Later that day, I received a call on my mobile from someone claiming to be a "cousin" of the offending driver. I was mystified as to how he'd got my number, but I may have given it to the 'ambulance worker'. He asked me whether I was planning to make an insurance claim against the motorist. I think my reply was, it was none of his business...

Anyway, luckily the police did turn up. Probably summoned by a bystander on their phone. And in consequence, the offending driver did face the due force of the Law....

Be careful. Never accept an offer from an offender, the use of their own mobile phone...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sum wrote:
+1

Come on then, please, would you rather we killed ourselves to avoid upsetting another road user who invites us into danger (possibly with good intentions) or something else? Two examples - what would you have done?

This week, I had some quite vociferous abuse from another road user who told me to jump a red light. They got really quite offensive, calling me a dick and so on, but it was a real red light, I know it detects bikes (but it's slow to change) and I'm not keen on making a right turn onto a 30mph dual carriageway against the lights. But do you think that was wrong? Should I have gone to avoid upsetting another road user who was trying to be helpful?

A few months ago, a white van stopped in the nearside lane of a fairly busy 2-lane road and waved me across from a side road. I was a bit late already, so I pulled out, but I treated the corner of his van as a blind corner and peered round it - just in time to snatch my front wheel back in away from a hot hatch close-passing him at speed. Was that wrong? Should I have gone ahead so as not to offend the van driver by implying he hadn't checked his side mirror properly before waving me out?

I think it's really better to ignore such misguided courtesy, or make some "no thanks" signal in reply.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.