Act Right Away for your Right of Way!

CTC Off-Road Campaigner

Act Right Away for your Right of Way!

Postby CTC Off-Road Campaigner » 21 Sep 2005, 4:49pm

In 1968 CTC, the national cyclists’ organisation, successfully lobbied to allow off-road cyclists to make use of bridleways, which opened up hundreds of new trails across the UK.

On October 11th MPs will vote on the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Bill, whose rights of way clauses could provide welcome protection for trails and the countryside from the damage caused by motorised vehicles. With a suitable amendment, the Bill could also help clarify cyclists’ ability to claim rights of way, in the same way that walkers and horse-riders can at present.

CTC is lobbying MPs to ensure that cyclists can claim ‘restricted byway’ rights. This would enable new trails to be opened for off-road cycling, because where there is enough evidence of past cycle use, we will gain a permanent right to use the trail!

This could provide our first new opportunity to claim off-road rights for cyclists in almost 40 years.

To get involved visit It takes less than 2 minutes to use our website to join the campaign and you could make a real difference to the future of off-road cycling.


Re:Act Right Away for your Right of Way!

Postby gar » 22 Sep 2005, 6:34pm

Thank you for your recent letter to Jim Knight MP about Part 6 of the NERC Bill.

Given that the issue you raise is related to Jim’s ministerial portfolio, I have passed your letter on to his office at DEFRA and I am sure you will receive a considered response from Jim in due course.

With best wishes,

Mrs. Lena Huskinson, Secretary to Jim Knight MP

Dorset South


Re:Act Right Away for your Right of Way!

Postby Nick200 » 28 Sep 2005, 7:17pm

Rather than campaigning for cyclists to be able to claim restricted byway rights, wouldn't it make more sense for cyclists to be able to claim that a route that has been used by cyclists has become established as a Cycletrack ..or if used by cyclists and horses that it should be recorded as a Public Bridleway?