2017 Road casualties annual report

[XAP]Bob

Re: 2017 Road casualties annual report

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No being enclosed in 1500kg of metal make *you* safe from instant collision damage, it isn't inherently safe...

It is demonstrably not safe for those around you, and it is in fact not safe for you either - it prevent you from being active, and therefore increases the risk of various life shortening health conditions...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pwa

Post by pwa »

thirdcrank wrote:
64% of hospital admissions for cyclists in England in 2017 (10737) were due to non-collision incidents. Using survey data from NHS Bristo, where applicable, the highest cause of admissions was collision with a car, pick-up or van. The second highest was ice causing a non-collision injury.

If 64% was "non-collision incidents" it's hard to see how the highest cause can be "collision with a car, pick-up or van."

Maybe that is just the highest single cause, and it is still smaller than all the non-collision incidents put together. I don't know that, I'm just suggesting it as a possible explanation.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Pretty clearly correct though.

If 40% hit by vehicle
30% slipped on ice
30% ride into wall
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

evink wrote:I have just posted a relevant comment to this thread under 'Accidents Statistics and Data recovery' . . . .
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=125398&p=1281163#p1281163

This post makes the case for taking due account of Hospital Episode Statistics (HES) as STATS 19 over covers personal injury incidents which become known to the police. The DfT states that a very low proportion of pedal cyclists injured in non collision incidents become known to the police.

64% of hospital admissions for cyclists in England in 2017 (10737) were due to non-collision incidents. Using survey data from NHS Bristo, where applicable, the highest cause of admissions was collision with a car, pick-up or van. The second highest was ice causing a non-collision injury.

Without a comprehensive record of the causes of cycling accidents we cannot establish properly targeted measures to reduce these accidents and hence encourage more cycling

There is more information under 'Accidents Statistics and Data recovery' .

Same for motorists and pedestrians but what we do know is from hospital data is that there are circa 1.3million reported head injuries annually, circa 160,000 admitted to hospital for head injuries and just over 3100 serious cycling injuries of all types, figures are between 800-1200 being head related.
Even with discrepancies for cycling injuries not reported so not coming up in STATS19 you've got a massive number of people reporting to GPs, medical centres and hospitals and a significant % being admitted that are simply unrelated to cycling. Far be it for me to tell people what to do but the figures suggest that the government need to invest in a big campaign to get everyone other than those on bikes to wear helmets, it would save billions of pounds a year if they and others believe noddy hats are so effective. :roll:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

The utility cyclist wrote:[...... Far be it for me to tell people what to do but the figures suggest that the government need to invest in a big campaign to get everyone other than those on bikes to wear helmets, it would save billions of pounds a year if they and others believe noddy hats are so effective. :roll:

Yes, yes! No one will ever need to go to the quack or hossy again if we all just wear polystyrene caps all of the time, including in bed of a night. Why didn't we realise this before!

But wait - the savings at the NHS (which will reduce our taxes to nearly zero, as we know) will be offset by the expense of having to buy the polystyrene hats. After all, there cannot be a universal polystyrene hat - each activity will require one of special design suitable for only that activity. I calculate that this will require 237 hats each (327 for certain special cases who do unusual things). Also, they will need to be renewed at least twice a year, for fashion purposes and also because of the built-in obsolescence.

Having done the sums, I find that the cost of buying all the necessary polystyrene hats will exceed the savings in taxation for the NHS by a factor of 11.8X. And I haven't yet included the cost of the landfill and transportation of old-hat thereto.

Scrap that scheme then - unless you're a Tory in the pay of Polystyrene-Hats-R-Us, of course.

Cugel, amateur accountant Grade 7.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes