Icy roads and cycleways

evink

Icy roads and cycleways

Post by evink »

In the Q and As in the current issue of Cycle M Shaffer raised the issue of cyclists falling on ice on a new cycle bridge. Most suffered minor injuries but one was taken away by ambulance with what looked like a broken leg. Five accidents had been witnessed in the last year.

Ice causes the second highest reasons for cyclists being admitted to hospital for emergency treatment according to a ROSPA paper issued earlier this year-https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/public-health/rs3-non-collision-casestudy-edition2.pdf. I am the co-author of this paper.

Other points from this paper are:-

1 A survey was taken in 2016 of the extent of cycle path gritting in the South West. Of the 11 authorities who responded only two partially treated their cycle network in icy weather

2 The MET Office ice forecasts are not adequate for cyclists to make an informed decision to travel. As a substitute for a comprehensive accurate forecast of road-ice, cyclists have often to rely on air temperature forecasts as a rule of thumb. These can be misleading. The MET Office advises that road surface temperatures can be 4-5 degrees below air temperatures, meaning ice can form even when air temperatures are above freezing.

As a surrogate for reliable ice weather forecasts the following are helpful sources

1 Many local authorities post on a daily basis when their gritters are being deployed
2 Several local authorities provide a real-time link to their weather stations that record road temperatures - http://www.trafficweather.info. Scotland is well served by a site that covers all major roads - https://trafficscotland.org/wintertreatment/

The ROSPA paper calls on Local Authorities to

1 Recognise that when building cycle paths treatment during icy conditions should be taken into account
2 Consider progressively treating existing cycle paths
3 Sharing best practice eg the Leeds-Bradford cycle path uses aircraft runway de-icing fluid that does not require vehicle weight activation which salt requires to become fully effective

The paper also calls on the MET Office to improve the detail and accuracy of their ice forecasts including publishing and reporting against accuracy targets

Much work needs to be done to create safe cycling conditions in winter.
gaz

Re: Icy roads and cycleways

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for this, useful information as I prepare for the annual attempt to get any form of gritting on the local cycle network.

PS. FTFY: https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/adv ... ition2.pdf
pwa

Post by pwa »

In icy weather I don't use cycle tracks or ungritted lanes. And thinking about it, why would cycle tracks be gritted if most roads, open to all users, are not gritted? Most roads do not get gritted either. Few footways are gritted. It is a problem but I don't see an answer.
mjr

Post by mjr »

IMO, you can't even trust gritted roads any more. My last slide down one was supposedly gritted (bus route) but it seems like councils have become more sparing with the salt, possibly only going out when it's a dead cert that it'll be icy or maybe using cheaper but less effective methods.

Is fitting studded tyres in icy weather the most effective thing we can do ourselves? Well, unless you ride a trike, but even then sliding can be rather dicey in some situations.

Airfield deicing fluid and even humble salting have some drawbacks for the environment, although I'm sure it's the cost which means most councils have stopped treating cycleways and footways.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:And thinking about it, why would cycle tracks be gritted if most roads, open to all users, are not gritted?

Because we want to encourage cycling even in icy weather because 100kg of sliding bike+rider is far less dangerous to everyone and everything than tons of sliding vehicle? And because winter high pressure and low wind conditions when we get the worst ice is also when horrible exhaust pollution really hangs around?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:And thinking about it, why would cycle tracks be gritted if most roads, open to all users, are not gritted?

Because we want to encourage cycling even in icy weather because 100kg of sliding bike+rider is far less dangerous to everyone and everything than tons of sliding vehicle? And because winter high pressure and low wind conditions when we get the worst ice is also when horrible exhaust pollution really hangs around?

I guess how one sees this depends on one's local network. I live in a rural setting with a few gritted main roads at my disposal in icy weather, and my preferred minor lanes ungritted. And I suspect a lot of urban cyclists will have preferred routes that mix a bit of cycle track with side roads that don't get gritted. Anyone who walks will also be familiar with ungritted slippery footpaths. Ungritted cycle tracks are just one part of the picture of ungritted surfaces in winter. And I just can't see local government spending increasing in that area at the moment. I wish I could say otherwise.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

In Norway, they spread gravel. That has it's own problems, but it has the advantage of working, even when it's too cold for salt to work, and they can collect it, wash it, and reuse it.

That said, clearing paths and using calcium chloride or another de-icer that is more effective than salt has other benefits.

Clear paths and pavements allow people with mobility issues to remain mobile, and prevent lots of minor injuries from slips and falls.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pwa wrote:In icy weather I don't use cycle tracks or ungritted lanes. And thinking about it, why would cycle tracks be gritted if most roads, open to all users, are not gritted? Most roads do not get gritted either. Few footways are gritted. It is a problem but I don't see an answer.

A sensible response to the unavoidable nature of freezing weather. Why do we humans think everything ought to be made safe & convenient for us at all times, no matter what the costs (financial and environmental)?

One can still cycle on the icy stuff with care and a pair of studded tyres made to bite into the likes of black ice. But, as others note, there is still the danger of some fool in a car sliding into you. All in all, better not to go out when there's ice about. (Cue bleets of necessity). If you really "have to" go out in it, take the consequences, I feel my rates would be better-spent elsewhere than on rot-inducing, polluting tons of salt chucked everywhere.

I have one cycling pal who survived an icy-bridge fall at low speed, despite having to have an artificial hip as a consequence. He avoids the icy days now, having learnt a hard lesson.

I know of two others from another club who ignored all advice not to go out and also broke their hips. They were too old; and too slow to get hip replacements toot sweet. One is now permanently disabled and t'other is dead, probably because his crash & smash was a catalyst to his slide into oblivion.

When I was young, stupid and more rubbery I went out in the snow and ice. I did fall off but survived sans bone-break. Many of us thought ourselves "hard" because we did this. Ha!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

There's an interesting short film about clearing snow and equallity issues, I'm not sure if there is an English version but it does have English subtitles.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cugel wrote:One can still cycle on the icy stuff with care and a pair of studded tyres made to bite into the likes of black ice. But, as others note, there is still the danger of some fool in a car sliding into you. All in all, better not to go out when there's ice about.

:roll: "I threw out the bathwater. Hey, has anyone seen the baby?"

The danger of some fool in a car sliding into you is pretty minimal - just yet another type of driver incompetence - although it's worth keeping an eye out for it so you can take avoiding action.

Not necessity but desirability. Even if it's not necessary for you to earn your keep, becoming a hermit on every icy day, in the colder/drier parts of the country, has a seriously harmful effect on one's health, itself quite capable of triggering the "slide into oblivion" over a winter. Keep active: keep healthy.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mjr wrote:
Cugel wrote:One can still cycle on the icy stuff with care and a pair of studded tyres made to bite into the likes of black ice. But, as others note, there is still the danger of some fool in a car sliding into you. All in all, better not to go out when there's ice about.

:roll: "I threw out the bathwater. Hey, has anyone seen the baby?"

The danger of some fool in a car sliding into you is pretty minimal - just yet another type of driver incompetence - although it's worth keeping an eye out for it so you can take avoiding action.

Not necessity but desirability. Even if it's not necessary for you to earn your keep, becoming a hermit on every icy day, in the colder/drier parts of the country, has a seriously harmful effect on one's health, itself quite capable of triggering the "slide into oblivion" over a winter. Keep active: keep healthy.

You need a shed.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Vorpal wrote:In Norway, they spread gravel. That has it's own problems, but it has the advantage of working, even when it's too cold for salt to work, and they can collect it, wash it, and reuse it.

That said, clearing paths and using calcium chloride or another de-icer that is more effective than salt has other benefits.

Clear paths and pavements allow people with mobility issues to remain mobile, and prevent lots of minor injuries from slips and falls.

Gravel :shock: . Do you actually mean gravel or do you mean grit?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

He means gravel. They vary from area to area but typically these will be grey chips about 1cm in diameter (but they are chipped not round). The great thing about the chips is that when you have a thaw and then a freeze the chips are still there also there is no damage to the vegetation. Also as mentioned the chips are just collected when the snow and ice have gone. Using salt would be useless in Norway because it can get below -35 deg C and that is just long enough to say 'taxi' before you freeze to death. The chips are great from stopping you cracking your head when walking around. I did not cycle much in Norway in the winter but would expect the chips to help, people on cycles mainly use snow tyres in the winter.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Yes, gravel. I've got some pictures somewhere. If I can find them, I will post some.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.10 ... 0/43/4/006

My view is riding skill plays a part, speed selection for circumstances and degree of leaning.