Chris Hoy speaks out

Cyril Haearn

Re: Chris Hoy speaks out

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Wanlock Dod wrote:It all depends how you spin it...
Telegraph wrote:Cyclists should stop hogging the road, says Sir Chris Hoy

"Why, I managed to believe six impossible things before breakfast", gasped the fat controller :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

661-Pete wrote:Just today I was waiting at a T-junction with traffic lights; just as they turned to green for us I saw an ambulance approaching with blues-and-twos flashing. So I waited and held out my arm to signal to motorists behind me to wait, and indeed the ambulance jumped the queue and went through the red light. I saw the person in its passenger seat give me a thumbs-up as they raced past. And no-one complained - even though all of us in the side road missed a green phase....

So there is courtesy out there on the roads. You just have to find it.

...or do unto others as you would have them do to you, as you did :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:Just today I was waiting at a T-junction with traffic lights; just as they turned to green for us I saw an ambulance approaching with blues-and-twos flashing. So I waited and held out my arm to signal to motorists behind me to wait, and indeed the ambulance jumped the queue and went through the red light. I saw the person in its passenger seat give me a thumbs-up as they raced past. And no-one complained - even though all of us in the side road missed a green phase....

So there is courtesy out there on the roads. You just have to find it.

Modern vehicles are sound proof
Sirens need to be louder :(
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

They have tinted windows, so the lights should be brighter, too.
Sum

Post by Sum »

I think that's the Telegraph putting words into Hoy's mouth for the sake of a money-grabbing headline. The article goes on to say:-
Telegraph wrote:Sir Chris, who has with six gold medals, said: "If you are cycling and thinking 'Well, they can sit behind me for half a mile on this single lane road' ... it's not about saying you should get out of the way and let them through, it's about, when they do come past, just give them the thumbs-up and you can see the road's clear, give them a wave through, say thanks and that little bit of communication helps."
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sum wrote:

I think that's the Telegraph putting words into Hoy's mouth for the sake of a money-grabbing headline. The article goes on to say:-
Telegraph wrote:Sir Chris, who has with six gold medals, said: "If you are cycling and thinking 'Well, they can sit behind me for half a mile on this single lane road' ... it's not about saying you should get out of the way and let them through, it's about, when they do come past, just give them the thumbs-up and you can see the road's clear, give them a wave through, say thanks and that little bit of communication helps."

No no, is he suggesting waving them on? No no no!

I can not know if it is safe to pass. My hands belong on the bars (or the steering wheel)
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

The lad is just doing PR (or his PR wallahs are). He's everywhere in the mass media just now and just happens to have a new book out.

Personally I'm uninterested in the opinions of celebs about anything really. So often these opinions are manufactured for the purposes of attention. Also, celebs tend to be expert at nothing but self-promotion, even if it was via riding a bike in a circle faster than anyone else at the time. (Which is hardly a qualification to talk about road safety matters, eh)?

Oh, and he's just taken up racing cars .......

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Sir Christopher Hoy .... how have the mighty fallen .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

GT is my role model, pwa of this parish suggested, when one has a decision to make, asking oneself: "what would geraint do?" :wink: :wink:
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:GT is my role model, pwa of this parish suggested, when one has a decision to make, asking oneself: "what would geraint do?" :wink: :wink:

Wear a helmet .... obviously .... :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Bmblbzzz wrote:No incident is ever reported like that anyway. It's always "A cyclist was hit by a car". Motorists do not exist.

I refute that - It always seems to be reported as "A cyclist collided with a car", thus implying the cyclist was a fault! (n.b without any evidence of fault either way)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
BBC said something to that on the morning news text .....sometime back.....later edited.

As soon as I spotted it and posted on here.

Cyclist died...............I think it was a veteran 80 year old world TT rider IIRC.
Scrap the bbc......If I was PM :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

fastpedaller wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:No incident is ever reported like that anyway. It's always "A cyclist was hit by a car". Motorists do not exist.

I refute that - It always seems to be reported as "A cyclist collided with a car", thus implying the cyclist was a fault! (n.b without any evidence of fault either way)

Yes, fair correction. Thinking about it a bit more, I reckon the most used phrase is along the lines of "A cyclist was in [a] collision with a car" cleverly implying blame through the word order while using an impersonal passive construction. Whatever the exact wording, the driver of the car is never mentioned - it's as if all these cars have a mind of their own.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I was a passenger in a car recently. My friend, who was driving, stopped at a zebra crossing to let someone cross. The pedestrian thanked him. My friend remarked "that's unusual", to which another passenger asked, "what's that". My friend, "I let that person cross the road and they thanked me. Where I live that never happens". I pointed out to him that him "letting" the pedestrian cross the road was in fact giving them their right of way and that not doing so would be illegal, so why should he expect to be thanked. Does he thank everyone who waits at a give way line while he drives by? I'm not suggesting that it's not a nice gesture to thank someone for stopping at a zebra crossing, it's just this attitude that it's doing a pedestrian a favour by giving them their right of way.

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Best not to communicate, not to thank someone for obeying the law

Did the driver actually stop, apply the handbrake, put the gear in neutral?