HC update - opening motor vehicle doors ...

mjr

Re: HC update - opening motor vehicle doors ...

Post by mjr »

ambodach wrote:One other hazard not so far mentioned is vehicles parked front end in to in my case seafront railings. They then have to reverse out and the driver cannot see what is coming along the street. I always cycle or drive along here pretty far out so I have space to react in time if I can see a reversing light. I always reverse into such spaces and I think in some countries it is compulsory to do so. Not had any serious confrontations so far but still take as much care as I would in a potential dooring situation.

In their infinite wisdom, the council has put the spaces on King's Lynn South Quay at an angle so that one has to drive in forwards because there's not enough width to turn. This is one time it's good that it's a shared space because cyclists can ride between the quayside and the posts in front of the cars, or between the posts opposite the reversing potential killers and the buildings those posts protect.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Another thought about 'Dutch Reach' (also mentioned in this thread). Surely it works better in the Netherlands because they drive on the right there, so most vehicles are LHD? And most motorists are right-handed. It seems more logical for a right-handed motorist to reach across with their right hand to open a door. But in the UK and Ireland, how many motorists would choose to reach across with their left hand to open the door?

Perhaps we should switch to driving on the right? :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Perhaps we should switch to driving on the right? :roll:

But only part of the country at a time. Say odd number registrations to start....
John
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

It doesnt work better in the Netherlands. It may or may not be taught there, depending on the particular instructor, and is not part of their driving test. The origins of the manoeuvre itself are unclear, but its was named the 'Dutch' reach in America in 2011 for no more reason than the Doctor promoting it admired the Dutch for their approach to cycling. Since then an impressive body,of myth has emerged about how its taught in Ductc schools, is in their highway code equivalent, and is part of their driving test, etc, none of which is actually true.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.