a Positive school policy

martinn

a Positive school policy

Post by martinn »

a quote from my daughters Primary school on Cycling and Scooting to school, thought I would share it with you all, as it makes a refreshing change!, Now to ask my Daughter what she wants to call her Cycle!

"Bicycles and Scooters We are delighted that so many pupils love scooting and cycling to school but ask that pupils remember these key rules: remember road safety, never ride your bike/ scooter in school and store them safely in the correct designated bike or scooter racks. Please remember all bicycles/ scooters must be named. This term two year groups have received Bikeability training and it was wonderful to hear Year 6 pupils explaining their “top tips” to the rest of XXXXX – excellent advice! Remember ABC – Air, Brakes, Chain!"

Not a mention of the H word :D

Martin
Bonefishblues

Re: a Positive school policy

Post by Bonefishblues »

I expect that there will be an outcry post haste :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ABC +1

Names for bikes
Gillott
Mercian
Bob Jackson
Holdsworth
Raleigh
Brompton
Thanet
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
martinn

Post by martinn »

you forgot Isla, or as my Daughter wanted to call it, "the fastest bike in the school" !
craigbroadbent

Post by craigbroadbent »

Just got our school to send an email advising all the parents not to sit outside with their engines running.

It is against road traffic act 1999, but more importantly bad for pollution, especially for the young.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Our granddaughters school encourages children to ride and scoot to school.
When questioned during the recent open evening on the subject of helmets the head mistress pointed out that that is a parental decision.
Good for her ....
However ..
Since the riding of bicycles and use of scooters is forbidden on school premises she's pretty well covered... The children ride to the gates and walk their bikes etc to the covered bike racks ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Our school had cycling classes for reception. My son already learnt to ride without stabilisers so spent the b classes riding around doing stunts. No hands, legs in the air, even tried leg over the bars. Got sent into the opposite corner of the yard to the others still learning.

For all that the school has always been pretty positive about cycling. They join in all the national cycle to school initiatives. Classes in several years. However that's only half the story. If you're encouraging kids from 4/5 years of age to ride when there's only busy or dangerous roads to ride on then it's a little step to nowhere. At my kid's school they took their bikes to school for the classes then left them there. Bikes were only used at school by some kids which is really sad.

Round our street it's a dead end road with other dead end roads off it. Kids ride around them and up back alleys too. However there's car drivers living at the end who live on a side road drive way too fast and kids have been close to getting run over before now. The worst thing is the worst offender was a mother of a kid who rides her bike on those very streets. She'll hit some kid one day.