PBP Ancien (2007)
De Sisti

Re: The city that rewards Cycling with free beer

Post by De Sisti »

Misleading title. Not the full story of the initiative. :roll:
gaz

Post by gaz »

I've been using the Better Points app here in the UK. Signed up to the Get Active in Ebbsfleet programme, £40 of vouchers already this year, donated about £20 to the local air ambulance and nearly have enough points for £20 more.

There's a scheme in Salford, probably a few others about too.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

gaz wrote:I've been using the Better Points app here in the UK. Signed up to the Get Active in Ebbsfleet programme, £40 of vouchers already this year, donated about £20 to the local air ambulance and nearly have enough points for £20 more.

There's a scheme in Salford, probably a few others about too.

I do like the donate to charity option on the Salford scheme.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mjr

Post by mjr »

Another effing app! I bet it's not available for independent review.

Did everyone else notice the motorist at 20s drive through the STOP junction and force the cyclist to stop despite priority? So it's not a panacea, but I guess each person persuaded to switch from a car is one less person who can bully cyclists, so it's worth welcoming despite the flaws.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

mjr wrote:Another effing app! I bet it's not available for independent review.

It certainly has it's foibles. Missed tracking, double tracking, reporting that you are in a car whenever you go down a modest hill and walking on water at 30mph amongst them.

Untitled.png

Better Points are in it for the tracked movement data, somebody somewhere is paying money to understand how and where people travel. I believe that the "rewards" in my local scheme are at least part funded by the relevant NHS Trust in an effort to reduce sedentary lifestyles.
mjr

Post by mjr »

gaz wrote:It certainly has it's foibles. Missed tracking, double tracking, reporting that you are in a car whenever you go down a modest hill and walking on water at 30mph amongst them.

That reminds me: my wife resists my suggestion to switch to OSMAnd~, but recently her current app has done a few similar mad things like claiming she cycled 227 miles at average 110mph (I was in the same group and I think I would have noticed that). If it keeps doing that, I expect she'll switch.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.