Everday cycling hall of fame

cotswolds

Everday cycling hall of fame

Post by cotswolds »

Piece in the Guardian by Carlton Reid on who should be in a hall of fame for everyday cycling. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2018/nov/01/who-belongs-in-the-everyday-cycling-hall-of-fame

Top of the list for me would be Chris Boardman who I think has done most to contribute to a balanced debate.
pwa

Re: Everday cycling hall of fame

Post by pwa »

http://www.willesdencyclingclub.co.uk/a ... ack-eason/

For me the late Jack Eason was a great inspiration, encountered on many Audax rides. When I saw him he was in his mid seventies and still knocking out the occasional Bryan Chapman 600km with a smile on his face, in his Dunlop tennis shoes. A character.
Si

Post by Si »

Very difficult. Id like to go for someone who demonstrates that the average person can get around by bike without super human fitness or loads of expensive kit, and make cycling part of the average day. Problem is that no one is famous for doing such a thing, even though every utility cyclist in the country ought to be considerd a hero considering what many have to put up with and the good thst they do by leaving the car at home.

The people i would put forward for the award would be those who are known locally but not nationaly.

Of those known nationally boris doesnt cut it as he carries too much negative baggage. Chris boardman can be included as an anvocate but is he a role model? Josie dew maybe - but her touring exploits make her seem more of an endurance athlete or explorer than an average pob.

I guess the question is.....if you didnt come from a cycling family/culture, who was it that inspired you to ditch the car and use the bike instead? In my case it was a whole raft of people all adding a smidge of influence to a massive whole.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Josie Dew's more recent exploits involve transporting her 3 kids around by bike - Including a holiday to the Isle of Wight that involved a Circe Tandem ( or was it a triplet) and a trailer. A great example to everyone that it's not necessary to have a car to live everyday life with a family. She would get my vote.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mjr

Post by mjr »

Si wrote:I guess the question is.....if you didnt come from a cycling family/culture, who was it that inspired you to ditch the car and use the bike instead? In my case it was a whole raft of people all adding a smidge of influence to a massive whole.

Even if you did come from a cycling family, maybe it's worth considering who stopped you sleepwalking into the driving seat once you left home?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

mjr wrote:
Si wrote:I guess the question is.....if you didnt come from a cycling family/culture, who was it that inspired you to ditch the car and use the bike instead? In my case it was a whole raft of people all adding a smidge of influence to a massive whole.

Even if you did come from a cycling family, maybe it's worth considering who stopped you sleepwalking into the driving seat once you left home?

I'm not sure it's that "black and white". Most cyclists have a driving licence.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

MikeF wrote:
mjr wrote:

I'm not sure it's that "black and white". Most cyclists have a driving licence.

Sure, but they don't all use it every day.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I'm not sure it's that "black and white". Most cyclists have a driving licence,

Well actually, they do ... reality is harsh ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mjr

Post by mjr »

landsurfer wrote:
I'm not sure it's that "black and white". Most cyclists have a driving licence,

Well actually, they do ... reality is harsh ...

That can be shown to be incorrect by showing any cyclist with a driving licence who doesn't drive every day. Hello! :lol:
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

TrevA wrote:Josie Dew's more recent exploits involve transporting her 3 kids around by bike - Including a holiday to the Isle of Wight that involved a Circe Tandem ( or was it a triplet) and a trailer. A great example to everyone that it's not necessary to have a car to live everyday life with a family. She would get my vote.

She has a car (ok a campervan) though. I'm not sure that her expensive triplet, panniers, trailers, and other equipment is going to convince anyone of that.

I am in Indonesia where everyday family life involves a moped which can fit (somehow) up to 4 people on it. This is far more practical than any non-motorised alternative, to be realistic.
PH

Post by PH »

David Byrne would be my nomination, he always seems to make his cycling sound such fun, something that isn't always promoted as much as it could be.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

PH wrote:David Byrne would be my nomination, he always seems to make his cycling sound such fun, something that isn't always promoted as much as it could be.

One assumes you are not referring to the chap from Talking Heads ..?
Be more Mike.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

landsurfer wrote:
PH wrote:David Byrne would be my nomination, he always seems to make his cycling sound such fun, something that isn't always promoted as much as it could be.

On the contrary... https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/aug/13/david-byrne-cycling-blog
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

pjclinch wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

On the contrary... https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/aug/13/david-byrne-cycling-blog

Top Chap .... Shall read his stuff ...
Be more Mike.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Riaan Manser - read his book "Around Africa on my Bicycle"

Unknown in Britain but undoubtably one of the worlds greatest cyclists.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......