Everday cycling hall of fame

atlas_shrugged

Re: Everday cycling hall of fame

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Nice to see Richard Ballantine being nominated. Well deserved IMHO.
pwa

Post by pwa »

atlas_shrugged wrote:Nice to see Richard Ballantine being nominated. Well deserved IMHO.

He made me think about cycling even more, at a time when there were no internet communities for cyclists, I had no cycling club, and the only cycling magazine was a bone dry thing for club racers, of no interest to tourers. Ballantine made it alright to be enthused by a well engineered touring bike.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

atlas_shrugged wrote:
Nice to see Richard Ballantine being nominated. Well deserved IMHO.

He made me think about cycling even more, at a time when there were no internet communities for cyclists, I had no cycling club, and the only cycling magazine was a bone dry thing for club racers, of no interest to tourers. Ballantine made it alright to be enthused by a well engineered touring bike.

Yes - he went with me on all my tours in the 80's and helped me fix punctures, broken chain, etc!
But the person who got me on those tours in the first place was Nicholas Crane and his book (with Crista Gausden) 'The CTC Route Guide To Cycling in Britain and Ireland'. Plus Josie Dew's articles in the Observer.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tim Hughes, Gazette Editor
John Coulson
Keith Bingham
Randonneur
Wayfarer
Ragged Staff
Patterson
Johnny Helms
Mick Gambling
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There's a chap I no longer see out and about(maybe due to his age)who I used to see regularly and only got to chat to him once.He rode/rides a quality 26inch wheel MTB based tourer with nearly always four panniers on board.I'd see his bike parked outside Sainsbury's or a couple of local pubs,nice chap :)
There are many about.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden