Nick Freeman Attacks "exceptional hardship"

reohn2

Re: Nick Freeman Attacks "exceptional hardship"

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I don't have a problem with the ability to make the plea, but its application needs better scrutiny and clearer criteria, perhaps.

Could you explain what you mean please?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I don't have a problem with the ability to make the plea, but its application needs better scrutiny and clearer criteria, perhaps.

The ability to plead thus should be maintained but there should be clearer instructions to Magistrates as to what constitutes exceptional hardship.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

The ability to plead thus should be maintained but there should be clearer instructions to Magistrates as to what constitutes exceptional hardship.

Agreed.
Throughout this thread I've been waiting for someone to define 'exeptional hardship',it hasn't been forthcoming.
W H Auden
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Exceptional Hardship : Classic Law , not defined , a matter of opinion . That's how the Lawyers make their money. :x
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

9494arnold wrote:Exceptional Hardship : Classic Law , not defined , a matter of opinion . That's how the Lawyers make their money. :x

I should've known it'd be a scam for the lawyers to exploit :wink: :?
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

He also said he suffered from "terrible motion sickness" when sitting anywhere but the driver's seat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-46157817
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thirdcrank wrote:
He also said he suffered from "terrible motion sickness" when sitting anywhere but the driver's seat.

Law properly applied.
thirdcrank

A classic case

Post by thirdcrank »

If anybody wanted to start a campaign about this, here's a case to quote
Dartford Crossing death crash lorry driver watching TV

Jurors heard he had twice been caught using his phone while driving and had 12 penalty points on his licence before the crash.
He had been allowed by magistrates to continue driving due to extreme hardship.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-47857774
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

That's a poignant case, clearly, and he has gone to prison for a very long time.

Are there any statistics as to the propensity of drivers to be involved in accidents when they continue to drive after establishing exceptional hardship?
pwa

Post by pwa »

thirdcrank wrote:

I don't think you do 77 in a 40 limit by accidentally losing concentration. You do it because of an attitude. A ban is the only thing that is likely to prove effective on that sort of mentality.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:

I don't think you do 77 in a 40 limit by accidentally losing concentration. You do it because of an attitude. A ban is the only thing that is likely to prove effective on that sort of mentality.

He was. He was talking nonsense. The Magistrate saw through it.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:

Yes but three months is too short - the default for twelve points is six months so he was treated leniently. With his existing eleven points and another six for this offence he now has a grand total of seventeen. Next time he's up in court with some more points the default is a 12 month ban based on the not unreasonable assumption he's there within three years of this ban.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

How about something more reasonable? Say a years ban for every mph over the limit? No exceptions whatsoever. An idiot is still an idiot even if he thinks he has an excuse.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Any driving unlicenced or insured obviously means you don't care so prison. The idea is to scare people into behaving.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

But it's the probability of being caught, not the severity of the punishment that drives behavioural compliance.