BC membership up

Steady rider

BC membership up

Post by Steady rider »

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/commu ... ommuters-0

What can Cycling UK do to attract members?

BC seems to be gaining membership and it looks like 145,000 members. Cycling UK has about 65,000. Could some joint cycling events be promoted?
Cyril Haearn

Re: BC membership up

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe BC + CUK could merge, but together they would have fewer than 210 000 members because some are members of both :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
meic

Post by meic »

If they drop helmet compulsion when doing so then that would be a good idea.
If they accept helmet compulsion when doing so then that would be a bad idea, but on the bright side it would save me almost £50 a year. :)
Yma o Hyd
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

I see that BC has launched a new 'Commuter' membership category. Was it not a late CTC CEO who objected to BC 'parking tanks on our lawn?'...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ChrisButch wrote:I see that BC has launched a new 'Commuter' membership category. Was it not a late CTC CEO who objected to BC 'parking tanks on our lawn?'...

I remember that too, Mr Mayne, was he not translated to Brussels? He lived in Wales, worked in Godalming, cycled to work, +1!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
RickH

Post by RickH »

meic wrote:If they drop helmet compulsion when doing so then that would be a good idea.
If they accept helmet compulsion when doing so then that would be a bad idea, but on the bright side it would save me almost £50 a year. :)

They don't have helmet compulsion on their leisure rides, at least not for adults (unless you're one of the ride leaders), under the Let's Ride banner.

I think they are also meeting a demand that cycling UK groups generally aren't for organised rides of 10 miles or less, sometimes only 2 or 3, for inexperienced riders (the significant funding from HSBC, & formerly Sky, has no doubt helped a lot in that respect :D).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
meic

Post by meic »

Its nice to know that the rides which I cant attend dont need helmets and that it is only the ones that I actual want to attend and can attend that do insist on lids.
Yma o Hyd
RickH

Post by RickH »

meic wrote:Its nice to know that the rides which I cant attend dont need helmets and that it is only the ones that I actual want to attend and can attend that do insist on lids.

Blame your council (at least partly) as BC operate (mostly) in partnership with local councils for their programme of rides!
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
meic

Post by meic »

I'll blame my council for not cleaning the road drains, that is their job.
Arranging local bike rides is more my responsibility than theirs.
Yma o Hyd
PH

Post by PH »

ChrisButch wrote:I see that BC has launched a new 'Commuter' membership category. Was it not a late CTC CEO who objected to BC 'parking tanks on our lawn?'...

I've commented on this elsewhere so apologies to the multi forum users for the repetition.
This new membership seems to be very limited, just what do you get for £37? TP insurance that only covers you for utility cycling and commuting with specific exclusions for " participating in cycling events or any kind of formal group cycling activity, such as club rides." and 10% off Halfords, that's all except for the first few members that also get a free light. This is launched in conjunction with a commercial operation who's interests are in promoting their own products. If it takes off it'll be a triumph of marketing over substance, most people have probably already got TP insurance bundled in with something else, some probably without realising it.
PH

Post by PH »

RickH wrote:I think they are also meeting a demand that cycling UK groups generally aren't for organised rides of 10 miles or less, sometimes only 2 or 3, for inexperienced riders (the significant funding from HSBC, & formerly Sky, has no doubt helped a lot in that respect :D).

This is true, Member Groups do tend to offer rides that appeal to current members rather than bringing others in. The group I'm involved with does offer rides from around 10 miles, and over the last couple of years structured programs for people who wish to increase that.
But although MGs are not offering this, it'd be wrong to say Cycling UK are not involved at that level, how that compares to British Cycling's involvement I don't know, though I know they sometimes work together which is how it should be.
The funding for such things is great of course, but the sustainability of the projects is often tied into it's reliability. I know of several groups, including one set up by a CUK Cycling Champion, that just died out when the money stopped.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

meic wrote:If they drop helmet compulsion when doing so then that would be a good idea.

There is no helmet compulsion with BC.You are quite free to join whether you wear one or not :wink:
pga

Post by pga »

I joined the then CTC in 1968 and am now a Cycling UK Life Member. I was a member of the British League of Racing Cyclists in its last year 1958 and a member of the British Cycling Federation, which united the BLRC and the National Cyclists Union, in its first year 1959. I am still a British Cycling (which replaced the BCF) member.

Over the years membership of both organisations have ebbed and flowed. Not so long ago BCF membership had declined and with it its power so that there was even talk of it being absorbed into the CTC. Nothing came of it. Recently British Cycling has been seen as a campaigning organisation under Chris Borardman's strong leadership and at the same time providing more and more cycling options, often straying into areas that were once seen as CTC territory. At the same time the CTC has let slip chances to play a more active role in promoting non racing cycling,more on the lines of the FFCT in France. The formation of AUK has a separate body is a case in point. Of course I risk the wrath of the current AUK hierarchy for saying that.

The answer to all this is to unite Cycling UK, British Cycling, AUK and even Sustrans into one overall national cycling body to enable a concentration of effort. This perhaps is like asking Parliament to reform. Those in the driving seats do not like change even when the case for it is strong. My generation of racing cyclists gave up their beloved BLRC in the cause of a more unified road racing front. Sadly the time triallists at the time were not prepared to join us. Whatever your views the BC Commuter Membership initiative is a wake up call to Cycling UK.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:

I've commented on this elsewhere so apologies to the multi forum users for the repetition.
This new membership seems to be very limited, just what do you get for £37?

You get to agree to follow the World Anti Doping Authority code, bizarrely, and forbidden to take many useful medications just because they might also enhance your performance in races that you're not licensed to participate in anyway! :roll: Just another way that BC discriminates against people with illnesses: join now and your membership is immediately invalid.

Thanks for the warning about the insurance exclusions.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pga wrote:.....
The answer to all this is to unite Cycling UK, British Cycling, AUK and even Sustrans into one overall national cycling body to enable a concentration of effort. This perhaps is like asking Parliament to reform. Those in the driving seats do not like change even when the case for it is strong. .....

I suspect it is not their dislike of change that is the hindrance but more the realisation that 2 organisations becoming one and that means 2 big white chiefs becoming 1 big white chief and neither want to stop being big white chief and when there is significant disparity in size guess who gets to keep their "man at the top" status?

Ian