Kissing Gates

landsurfer

Re: Kissing Gates

Post by landsurfer »

pwa wrote:If you look at the google images you will see alternative access for horses which you could get a bike over. I guess that is the cycle access, not the kissing gates.

Good point well made, but i was concentrating on the kissing gates ... i've never had a problem with them ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
pwa

Post by pwa »

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.0402493 ... 6?hl=en-GB
This messy spot on the Way of the Roses route had me struggling a bit with a Thorn Tandem loaded with four panniers and stuff on top of the rack. The gate is, I think, to the right. Okayish for a solo bike with not too much baggage. We had to take the panniers off to lift the tandem over. Thanks Sustrans for choosing this rather than the much too easy alternative route to the south!
whoof

Post by whoof »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The banned vehicles are heavier

Barriers could create a hiatus to slow users down, at that point the outfit would be weighed, if it were over xxx kg the way would be blocked

xxx kg? Tandem plus riders and luggage (allowed) could exceed 200 kg

How heavy is a motorcycle or moped with rider + luggage?

A Honda 50cc moped = 100kg . Add a skinny youth and it's probably less than two tandem riders + bike + luggage.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A motorbike has much wider tyres, the device would detect them and narrow the channel to grip them so the rider could not proceed except by retreating
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

landsurfer wrote:Without being obvious, i would just lift my bicycle over the fence, enter through the kissing gate and ride off on my bike .... are we over thinking this ... i don't see how it is a problem. We have a number of kissing gates near me .. i usually rotate my bicycle onto its rear wheel and wheel it .. and myself , through ... So i have to get off my bike, i am slowed down, ... so what !

So what about the handcyclist? I know some can lift a tricycle, but not over any fences worth the name.

Even rotating a common DF bike onto its back wheel isn't possible with long enough mudguards.

There is no technological solution to this social problem. Enforcement is the best option, whether by police, rangers or otherwise.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

landsurfer wrote:Without being obvious, i would just lift my bicycle over the fence, enter through the kissing gate and ride off on my bike .... are we over thinking this ... i don't see how it is a problem. We have a number of kissing gates near me .. i usually rotate my bicycle onto its rear wheel and wheel it .. and myself , through ... So i have to get off my bike, i am slowed down, ... so what !
That restrcits access to people strong enough to lift their machine over the fence/gate. This is no good to an 80 year old lady with a shopping bike. I have used this particular junction on my lightweight tricycle (30lbs without luggage) and it is extremely difficult and frustrating. Generally speaking I avoid all so called facilities like the plague, but that one time I thought I would try it leaving Stratford. I will not go that way again.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Cyril Haearn wrote:A motorbike has much wider tyres, the device would detect them and narrow the channel to grip them so the rider could not proceed except by retreating

Perhaps it could also have automatic number plate recognition and a phaser that could vaporise any illegal vehicles?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

whoof wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:A motorbike has much wider tyres, the device would detect them and narrow the channel to grip them so the rider could not proceed except by retreating

Perhaps it could also have automatic number plate recognition and a phaser that could vaporise any illegal vehicles?

+1
Or maybe a ranger, a person could be stationed there, or cctv with central monitoring, one PSP police-shaped person could operate a barrier and control dozens of accesses 24/7
mjr

Post by mjr »

whoof wrote:

Many of these scoundrels remove the number plates when defiling football pitches in order to render CCTV surveillance useless. They'd soon learn to do the same for tracks.

Maybe we could use magnetic induction loops that are set insensitive enough not to be triggered by a tricycle but would detect an engine block, then shut gates either side and call for enforcement to come impound the tresspassing motorbike.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
whoof

Post by whoof »

mjr wrote:
whoof wrote:

Many of these scoundrels remove the number plates when defiling football pitches in order to render CCTV surveillance useless. They'd soon learn to do the same for tracks.

Maybe we could use magnetic induction loops that are set insensitive enough not to be triggered by a tricycle but would detect an engine block, then shut gates either side and call for enforcement to come impound the tresspassing motorbike.

As long as we get to keep the phaser I'm happy.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

mjr wrote:Enforcement is the best option, whether by police.

WHO ??
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

pete75 wrote:
Cugel wrote:
pete75 wrote:
An example of a fra better approach in a continental country is teh Netherlands where they generally have no barriers of any kind.

Do the motorbikes with yobs on not get in there and roar about?

Cugel

There are quite a few people riding small motorcycles on them especially near towns. I've no idea if they're yobs or not but it's legal there.

It’s unpopular but legal from,memory.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

whoof wrote:
mjr wrote:
whoof wrote:Perhaps it could also have automatic number plate recognition and a phaser that could vaporise any illegal vehicles?

As long as we get to keep the phaser I'm happy.

Soon the boffins will dream up a machine that turns (upgrades) a harley into a bicycle :wink:
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Cugel wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:All of the barriers are a pain in the bum for cyclists. The narrow ones are a problem with panniers, the wiggly ones are bad if you have a trailer or a kiddie towalong, many of them are bad for recumbents, almost all of them are terrible for disabled cyclists, difficult for bikes with kids seats etc. The planners really need to learn from far better approaches in some continental countries.

What are the "far better approaches in some continental countries"? Urls or pics would be good.

Cugel

Fair point. The Netherlands is the classic-they use white lines and on road/bike path junctions often bicycle traffic lights. In France there might be a single post on a wide access cycle path with the restrictions posted on it-to deter, not to prevent misuse. The French paths I used in September were less good at junctions that the Dutch. They either abandoned you at the junction to cope or took you carefully on easy access bike paths on an overly tortuous route to get onto the relevant cycle access. I had one narrow post experience in La Grand Motte but that whole town was a total mess for bikes. Germany/Switzerland generally similar to France in my experience. I haven’t cycled anywhere else with bike paths recently enough to remember and of course regions within a country can vary.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

mjr wrote:
whoof wrote:

Many are stolen bikes.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.