Shared use paths & Strava racing

thelawnet

Shared use paths & Strava racing

Post by thelawnet »

Any thoughts?

Looking at something like this for example:

https://www.strava.com/activities/674922533#16534595015

averaging 23mph over the busiest stretch of the whole Basingstoke canal

There have been complaints about 'speeding cyclists' on this, see my previous thread viewtopic.php?t=96845

What I didn't then realise was that it was and is used as a virtual racetrack.

The surface in question: Image

This path can be very busy with walkers, dogs, etc, though obviously at times it may be much less so.

Same chap doing a steady 25mph a bit further along the canal (slightly quieter) https://www.strava.com/activities/126259252#2837078119
MikeF

Re: Shared use paths & Strava racing

Post by MikeF »

Thoughts? 18 mph is the maximum that should be travelled on this route. (The links don't work if you aren't signed up to Strava.) Travelling at this speed generates anti cyclist feeling. Also it's worth remembering that pedestrians passed at this speed might be car or HGV drivers. It doesn't do much for consideration of cyclists on the road if they themselves don't have consideration!
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Apparently you can have them flagged https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/art ... -Hazardous which will remove much of the incentive for racing, however it doesn't stop new segments being created in exactly the same spot I think. And presumably people would do so pretty much straight away.

Also to flag you have to have ridden the segment on Strava first.
mjr

Post by mjr »

This has long been a problem with Strava. I don't think there will be any way to fix it without regulators taking action against the company.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The one link I looked at 1818 people have used Strava along that section. The KOM holding from 2016 and 2014. The slowest being .5mph. It doesn’t look a hotly contested section and I would guess the KOMs were taken when no one around and of course the obligatory tail wind.
I share your concern over speeding cyclists on that path but feel implicating Strava as the catalyst might be clouding the real problem. Which are inconsiderate cyclists who share the same gene pool as many motorists.

In my area people are only interested in hills either going up them or down them. I only feature in the top ten on going down them 8)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I get the same when I ride the Bristol - Bath path and upload the ride, lots of PRs/PBs which means I then spend 20 minutes flagging all the segments.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Paulatic wrote:The one link I looked at 1818 people have used Strava along that section. The KOM holding from 2016 and 2014. The slowest being .5mph. It doesn’t look a hotly contested section and I would guess the KOMs were taken when no one around and of course the obligatory tail wind.
I share your concern over speeding cyclists on that path but feel implicating Strava as the catalyst might be clouding the real problem. Which are inconsiderate cyclists who share the same gene pool as many motorists.

Hmm? This chap advertises as a cycle coach (I should mention that he's apparently 23yo), competes in road & MTB races, his father also competes, it would be rather difficult to pin the blame on motorists.

I agree that most people are not actively contesting it, but if you look at the leaderboards, the same names are cropping up over and over again on the same stretches of towpath near the top.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

thelawnet wrote:[q
Hmm? This chap advertises as a cycle coach (I should mention that he's apparently 23yo), competes in road & MTB races, his father also competes, it would be rather difficult to pin the blame on motorists.

I agree that most people are not actively contesting it, but if you look at the leaderboards, the same names are cropping up over and over again on the same stretches of towpath near the top.

That’s certainly the nature of Strava a few people who like there name in the top ten. I find it amusing in my area there’s a name I’ve seen go out within hours of loosing a KOM to reclaim it back.
As for your MtB coach You could belittle him and his attempts along shared paths. Especially if he has a web presence where you can leave comments. Even Strava can be used for comments just to let his pals know what a great MtB rider he is on such challenging terrain. But, what if he got them one wild wet night when no one else was around and he didn’t inconvenience a single soul.
I’d need to know how many of the inconsiderate cyclists causing problems on that path are running Strava. I suspect they could be inherently inconsiderate and not linked to Strava. Meanwhile as suggested earlier flag the segment up as being inappropriate. It won’t make it disappear but it won’t appear by default.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

mjr wrote:This has long been a problem with Strava. I don't think there will be any way to fix it without regulators taking action against the company.

Why?
It isn’t Strava(or any other Apps) fault.
Strava/Endomondo/Garmin/insert-digital-stats-storage-app-here don’t force people to ride fast and there are plenty of “Racers” out there who don’t use any software to log times/PBS etc.If it’s in someone nature to be cyber-competitive then they’ll do it regardless of platform they use.
That trail looks similar to a section of the Trans Pennine Trail near here and cyclists are not the real problem.
Modified E-Bikes(30mph+),Moto-X and Quads are much more of an issue.
mjr

Post by mjr »

100%JR wrote:
mjr wrote:This has long been a problem with Strava. I don't think there will be any way to fix it without regulators taking action against the company.

Why?
It isn’t Strava(or any other Apps) fault.
Strava/Endomondo/Garmin/insert-digital-stats-storage-app-here don’t force people to ride fast and there are plenty of “Racers” out there who don’t use any software to log times/PBS etc.If it’s in someone nature to be cyber-competitive then they’ll do it regardless of platform they use.

Strava rewards them for it, ranging from their name in lights, as mentioned above, to actual prizes sometimes AIUI.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

mjr wrote:Strava rewards them for it, ranging from their name in lights, as mentioned above, to actual prizes sometimes AIUI.

And you think if Strava didn't they would not do it :roll:

I wonder what did these types did before Apps/Internet/technology :wink:

Strava seems to be a target because it's the most popular.I'll bet most who whinge about Strava and it's users don't actually use it but just click on links in threads on Forums and then vent their spleen :?

I've been using Strava and Apps connected to it it for a few years now and it's actually a fantastic tool for recording/analysing rides/runs.There are D"""&^&%s on there(as there are everywhere)but on the whole it's a useful tool.

You should check out Zwift....there's folk on there "digitally" cheating to win "Races" in a made up Virtual World.Takes all sorts.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Zwift racers and cheats knock nobody into hedges, though.

I'm sure Strava has as many analysis uses as many similar trackers but that's beside the point. Why be such a fan as to deny the drawbacks?

Without Strava, I'm sure another competition would take its place quickly, which is why regulators should step in.

It's not a surprise that people who consider Strava to be recklessly encouraging racing aren't using it, surely?
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

100%JR wrote:
mjr wrote:Strava rewards them for it, ranging from their name in lights, as mentioned above, to actual prizes sometimes AIUI.

And you think if Strava didn't they would not do it :roll:

I wonder what did these types did before Apps/Internet/technology :wink:

Strava seems to be a target because it's the most popular.I'll bet most who whinge about Strava and it's users don't actually use it but just click on links in threads on Forums and then vent their spleen :?

I use Strava, hence how I was able to point to these segments.

I think it's good, it's just that the segments need a bit more management to delete the unsuitable ones.
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

thelawnet wrote:...doing a steady 25mph a bit further along...

Whatever we do, let's not ask why cyclists who ride at this speed don't want to be on the road.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Wanlock Dod wrote:
thelawnet wrote:...doing a steady 25mph a bit further along...

Whatever we do, let's not ask why cyclists who ride at this speed don't want to be on the road.

Oh they do, they are a cat 2 racer.
http://www.instagram.com/ipucci1994

I think these segments were when they were training for MTb racing. Now apparently doing more road racing.