Commitment to Cycling in West Sussex

MikeF
Posts: 3731
Joined: 11 Nov 2012, 9:24am
Location: On the borders of the four South East Counties

Commitment to Cycling in West Sussex

Postby MikeF » 2 Dec 2018, 7:50pm

I found this enquiry on the web.
The problem with many authorities is all they think they need do is produce a strategy = job done. I'm not sure WSCC knows what segregated infrastructure is as they have sacked their cycling officers. Also WSCC seems keen on soft spending eg bikeability which is essentially guidance on how victims can stay safe but without removing the danger itself, rather than hard spending such as building anything.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

Pete Owens
Posts: 1519
Joined: 7 Jul 2008, 12:52am

Re: Commitment to Cycling in West Sussex

Postby Pete Owens » 2 Dec 2018, 8:16pm

MikeF wrote:I found this enquiry on the web.
The problem with many authorities is all they think they need do is produce a strategy = job done. I'm not sure WSCC knows what segregated infrastructure is as they have sacked their cycling officers. Also WSCC seems keen on soft spending eg bikeability which is essentially guidance on how victims can stay safe but without removing the danger itself, rather than hard spending such as building anything.

As opposed to spending lots on segregated farcilities that increase the risk of collisions by an order of maginitude.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 13783
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Commitment to Cycling in West Sussex

Postby mjr » 2 Dec 2018, 9:17pm

Oh no they don't, not if they're designed well and you don't bend the collision data.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

MikeF
Posts: 3731
Joined: 11 Nov 2012, 9:24am
Location: On the borders of the four South East Counties

Re: Commitment to Cycling in West Sussex

Postby MikeF » 2 Dec 2018, 9:56pm

Surrey CC has a different "take" on "infrastructure".https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/cycling_infrastructure_in_surrey#incoming-580562
I wish someone in Surrey CC would cycle the Redhill "infrastructure" to see what it's like for themselves. I think it's all on shared pavements and "greenways" ie mud routes - to London Design Standards I was told. But I don't think they read the specs. :roll:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

MikeF
Posts: 3731
Joined: 11 Nov 2012, 9:24am
Location: On the borders of the four South East Counties

Re: Commitment to Cycling in West Sussex

Postby MikeF » 2 Dec 2018, 10:04pm

Pete Owens wrote:
MikeF wrote:I found this enquiry on the web.
The problem with many authorities is all they think they need do is produce a strategy = job done. I'm not sure WSCC knows what segregated infrastructure is as they have sacked their cycling officers. Also WSCC seems keen on soft spending eg bikeability which is essentially guidance on how victims can stay safe but without removing the danger itself, rather than hard spending such as building anything.

As opposed to spending lots on segregated farcilities that increase the risk of collisions by an order of maginitude.
You need to join this group and have a much better ride. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 4504
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Commitment to Cycling in West Sussex

Postby RickH » 2 Dec 2018, 10:43pm

MikeF wrote:Surrey CC has a different "take" on "infrastructure".https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/cycling_infrastructure_in_surrey#incoming-580562
I wish someone in Surrey CC would cycle the Redhill "infrastructure" to see what it's like for themselves. I think it's all on shared pavements and "greenways" ie mud routes - to London Design Standards I was told. But I don't think they read the specs. :roll:

Maybe you need to check which London the design standards are from - London, Ohio maybe? :lol: