Commitment to Cycling in West Sussex

MikeF

Commitment to Cycling in West Sussex

Post by MikeF »

I found this enquiry on the web.
The problem with many authorities is all they think they need do is produce a strategy = job done. I'm not sure WSCC knows what segregated infrastructure is as they have sacked their cycling officers. Also WSCC seems keen on soft spending eg bikeability which is essentially guidance on how victims can stay safe but without removing the danger itself, rather than hard spending such as building anything.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Pete Owens

Re: Commitment to Cycling in West Sussex

Post by Pete Owens »

MikeF wrote:I found this enquiry on the web.
The problem with many authorities is all they think they need do is produce a strategy = job done. I'm not sure WSCC knows what segregated infrastructure is as they have sacked their cycling officers. Also WSCC seems keen on soft spending eg bikeability which is essentially guidance on how victims can stay safe but without removing the danger itself, rather than hard spending such as building anything.

As opposed to spending lots on segregated farcilities that increase the risk of collisions by an order of maginitude.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oh no they don't, not if they're designed well and you don't bend the collision data.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Surrey CC has a different "take" on "infrastructure".https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/cycling_infrastructure_in_surrey#incoming-580562
I wish someone in Surrey CC would cycle the Redhill "infrastructure" to see what it's like for themselves. I think it's all on shared pavements and "greenways" ie mud routes - to London Design Standards I was told. But I don't think they read the specs. :roll:
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Pete Owens wrote:
MikeF wrote:I found this enquiry on the web.

As opposed to spending lots on segregated farcilities that increase the risk of collisions by an order of maginitude.
You need to join this group and have a much better ride. :wink:
I don't peddle bikes.
RickH

Post by RickH »

MikeF wrote:Surrey CC has a different "take" on "infrastructure".https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/cycling_infrastructure_in_surrey#incoming-580562
I wish someone in Surrey CC would cycle the Redhill "infrastructure" to see what it's like for themselves. I think it's all on shared pavements and "greenways" ie mud routes - to London Design Standards I was told. But I don't think they read the specs. :roll:

Maybe you need to check which London the design standards are from - London, Ohio maybe? :lol:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.