Elderly drivers: when is it time to hand over the car keys?

Oldjohnw

Re: Elderly drivers: when is it time to hand over the car keys?

Post by Oldjohnw »

I'm puzzled why people might press the brake thinking it was the clutch, since you never use your left foot whether manual or auto gearbox.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I took that as meaning the missing third pedal is the clutch. The habit of changing gears at certain speeds / engine noise sticks. So you press a pedal to make the imaginary gear change when you think it should be. However the only pedal available to the left foot is the brake not a clutch pedal. IIRC my clutch and brake pedals (left and centre pedals) are at about the same height from the floor. The accelerator is lower.

That is my take on this.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Makes sense, TM. Thanks.
John
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Tangled Metal wrote:I took that as meaning the missing third pedal is the clutch. The habit of changing gears at certain speeds / engine noise sticks. So you press a pedal to make the imaginary gear change when you think it should be. However the only pedal available to the left foot is the brake not a clutch pedal. IIRC my clutch and brake pedals (left and centre pedals) are at about the same height from the floor. The accelerator is lower.

That is my take on this.

Correct - as explained in my original post above.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

An incompetent young or old driver might engage gear in automatic, the vehicle the then moves
In a manual they might stall the engine :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

BIG FEET!!!!!!!

I drive a friend’s Renault and stopped after a few hundred yards

I have size 13s and with the size and position, could not operate the brake without partially clipping accelerator or clutch
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Cyril Haearn wrote:An incompetent young or old driver might engage gear in automatic, the vehicle the then moves
In a manual they might stall the engine :?

You cannot engage gear in an auto unless your foot is on the brake and you overcome a detent mechanism. The vehicle will only creep (if it moves at all) when you release the brake and will only accelerate when you depress the throttle. All deliberate and discrete actions which would have to be performed by the incompetent driver. If he or she is that incompetent, they probably wouldn't be able to unlock the door in the first place - let alone start the engine.
Barks

Post by Barks »

Exactly, Automatiics are far easier to drive and very much more conducive to smooth acceleration and braking - my original post was to expose the OP’s erroneous assumptions and has been pretty well much supported by those after. What should really happen in this country is that automatics should be the default vehicle (they will be with all electric) and anyone driving a manual should pay hefty extra insurance premuims for the privilege. Petrol Heads will invariably complain - the answer is simply that they are not welcome on the roads as they are invariably too dangerous.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I didn't make erroneous assumptions because I never made any assumptions: I asked a question. My mind was open.

Perhaps this might put this to rest (it does for me):

http://casr.adelaide.edu.au/rsr/RSR2011 ... alkmer.pdf

It is not a uk study but I would imagine it is universally helpful.
John
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

"if you can afford to live in these sorts of rural areas, you can afford to move to more urban locations. That's the choice you have to make, if you take a responsible attitude to driving" . Please add "in my opinion"
Enforced migration and political prejudice? looks like that to me.
Several errors in your post including the concept that its expensive to live in the country side.
I take it that many poster here are town dwellers going by their posts.

I am not defending poor driving, in fact I would be the first to condemn it. I do not however see that condemnation of a specific sector is acceptable. No different than having a go at cyclists with one pannier. I would far rather risk a doddering old fool in the country side than any number of perfect drivers in a town.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Automatics are also good for the disabled.

My wife has a modified car with hand controls.

Pull up to accelerate, push down to brake, indicators are the little switch on top

However with one hand on the wheel, the other controlling the accelerator....... no hands left for the gear stick
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Oldjohnw wrote:I didn't make erroneous assumptions because I never made any assumptions: I asked a question. My mind was open.

Perhaps this might put this to rest (it does for me):

http://casr.adelaide.edu.au/rsr/RSR2011 ... alkmer.pdf

It is not a uk study but I would imagine it is universally helpful.

Pretty much what I, as a confirmed auto driver of 35+ years*, would expect. I think I am right in saying that many police pursuit vehicles are autos. I assume this is to allow them to keep both hands on the wheel and improves their concentration (by removing one potential distraction).

* That's not to say that I have only driven autos, just that my personal choice is auto. I have driven manuals since the age of 15 and still do so when hiring vehicles in conjunction with my work. I have also recently relinquished my HGV Class 1 licence and have driven both range change and splitter manuals. A lot of trucks are now going auto too.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Barks wrote:Exactly, Automatiics are far easier to drive and very much more conducive to smooth acceleration and braking - my original post was to expose the OP’s erroneous assumptions and has been pretty well much supported by those after. What should really happen in this country is that automatics should be the default vehicle (they will be with all electric) and anyone driving a manual should pay hefty extra insurance premuims for the privilege. Petrol Heads will invariably complain - the answer is simply that they are not welcome on the roads as they are invariably too dangerous.

Despite preferring automatics, I can’t see any reason for your assumption that manual shift are more of risk and should pay more money. If they were more risky the insurance companies would have worked it out, and adjusted premiums accordingly.
NUKe

Post by Oldjohnw »

Barks wrote
Petrol Heads will invariably complain - the answer is simply that they are not welcome on the roads as they are invariably too dangerou

Invariably means without variation. Perhaps a little extreme? I have always, in almost 53 years of driving, driven manual cars. I have no currently plans to get an auto. I am not a petrol head and my driving record suggest that I am not dangerous, either. I have had two accidents: each where someone came out of a minor road and hit me. I have been caught twice for speeding, each time at 35mph in a 30mph limit. I have made three insurance claims: the two just mentioned plus a theft. The suggestions that I and others are not welcome on the roads is in itself not welcome.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 24 Jan 2019, 7:09am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Caught exceeding the maximum speed limit, twice? :?
I am proud to report that I was stopped for 'speed', once in 31 years, Constable Sargent noticed that I was driving slowly, followed me home, he wondered if I had been drinking
Of course not!

Have driven automatics but mostly manual
I think automatic should be the norm, most drivers do not use the gears correctly, abuse the clutch &c, surely automatics could be set to use less fuel than manuals, to be smarter than the average driver :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies