Hand in your driving licence?

9494arnold

Hand in your driving licence?

Post by 9494arnold »

I think it's strange that the 70 year old driver is legislated to confirm fitness to drive , yet it is only a self certification.
What's the point of that? There does seem to be a streak of intransigence in the older generation ( in fact just had paper delivered and apparently Prince Phillip has had a Police Warning for no seat belt 2days after his crash. ) ( I realise he isn't your standard old age pensioner)

I think a proper thorough test wouldn't be a bad idea.

Younger drivers : The penalty points have been adjusted for recently qualified are effectively doubled
BUT There's Precious Litlle Road Policing going on ( in fact Little Policing in General)! which has to be part of the overall problem.

Policing is supposed to be THE PREVENTION and detection of offences . It is not. (I am a retired Police Officer)

Public Transport .
The Government spend big bucks subsidising Busses, you can see various companies following one another around lucrative routes .
Taxis . Friend of mine recently retired. Ok I accept she lives in a conurbation. Sold the car, got a bus pass, got her bike, uses Taxis and Hire Cars and reckons her overheads from being a car owner are much reduced. Of course she is quite fit

Stats show majority of serious accidents happen in Rural areas . Attributed to fewer vulnerable road users on motorways and extensive traffic calming in a lot of urban areas.
9494arnold

Re: Hand in your driving licence?

Post by 9494arnold »

I intended this as an ad on to the OAP driving post if the moderators could move it? :(
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Msm mirror signal manoeuvre we learnt, belt up before starting the engine etc

If one 'forgets' to belt up it is time to stop driving

Parker, fetch the Rolls!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ron

Post by Ron »

9494arnold wrote:Public Transport .
The Government spend big bucks subsidising Busses, you can see various companies following one another around lucrative routes .

Government spending on bus subsidies is minimal in comparison to that paid to protect cheap private motoring.
The vision of buses from various companies following each other around is sheer fantasy for many in the UK who suffer an ever reducing frequency and withdrawal of bus services.