It's green so I'm going!

Cyril Haearn

Re: It's green so I'm going!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

fastpedaller wrote:At our local Town, the zebra crossing was replaced by the pelican, and now because of quite light traffic at times (small market town) pedestrians often press the button to find that there is a large gap in the traffic and they cross safely before the lights have changed - the knock on effect is that a short while after (the ped had crossed) a moton arrives and has to stop for the red light and no pedestrians cross :lol:

Plus Two, anything that holds up motrons is good
I prefer lights, 'feels' safer than zebras
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

When some people will fight and even sometimes kill each other because they support different football teams you cant expect much from some members of the human race,
Pat
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

fastpedaller wrote:At our local Town, the zebra crossing was replaced by the pelican, and now because of quite light traffic at times (small market town) pedestrians often press the button to find that there is a large gap in the traffic and they cross safely before the lights have changed - the knock on effect is that a short while after (the ped had crossed) a moton arrives and has to stop for the red light and no pedestrians cross :lol:

Conversely, my local city has a pedestrian crossing on a major route. This crossing has university buildings on both sides, a huge car park on both sides. Especially at rush hour the traffic (motor and pedal cycle) is pretty much gridlocked for 2 miles around because of the steady flow of pedestrians over the crossing, seldom a break long enough for a single vehicle (motor or pedal) to proceed. For many years there has been a campaign to replace it with a pelican crossing so that at least all users can proceed in batches - this sensible approach has yet to find the funding from city coffers.
Barks

Post by Barks »

tatanab wrote:

Conversely, my local city has a pedestrian crossing on a major route. This crossing has university buildings on both sides, a huge car park on both sides. Especially at rush hour the traffic (motor and pedal cycle) is pretty much gridlocked for 2 miles around because of the steady flow of pedestrians over the crossing, seldom a break long enough for a single vehicle (motor or pedal) to proceed. For many years there has been a campaign to replace it with a pelican crossing so that at least all users can proceed in batches - this sensible approach has yet to find the funding from city coffers.

Clearly something needs to be done to reduce the car volume and encourage use of other forms of travel.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

tatanab wrote:

Build a low gradient 'flyover' for people on bikes and remove motorvehicles from the roadway completely, problem solved.