BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Cunobelin

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Post by Cunobelin »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Well it would be if we could be sure that the survey method was reliable, yes. Then as you rightly say, we'd have to turn our attention to the way in which it had been used.

As I indicated in a reply to ano above, we must be careful to apply the same scrutiny to everything we forward to support or challenge something.

Nope..... The thing to do is treat others like adults.

Rather than perform. critical review of the research methodology of any article before posting... post it and assume that most others on here can form an opinion of their own.

Our view differs then. I don't post things without looking critically at whether they actually support a point I'm making.

Which goes back to the start, I did and it does...... please discuss your problems with the authors
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

thirdcrank wrote:Driver uses vehicle as a weapon AND receives non-custodial sentence. Neither has received much attention here. The use of custody is a wider debate so I'll concentrate on the assault. We could make it "Driver uses vehicle as a weapon in assault on cyclist" to acknowledge that this is a cycling forum. Is there an obvious subject for a campaign? I'd have said so, but I defer to the majority view that there's more to be gained from a session of stereotyping BMW drivers, whose impact on the world beyond this forum will be zilch.

Not sure I follow your reasoning. The topic title is just the headline from the newspaper.

For some reason some people chose to take exception to the adjective 'BMW', as if it were somehow exciting prejudice against a marginalized group within society.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

FWIW, the headline in the link as it now appears is

BMW driver runs down cyclist in road rage horror
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
londoncommuter0000 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:The problem with this thread was, in my view, the original newspaper report. Describing the case as "BMW driver" was unnecessary, unhelpful and prejudicial.

The (excessive, puerile and wholly unnecessary) censorship on this forum makes it impossible for me to tell you what I think BMW drivers are.

Suffice to say that I don't believe that the headline was in error.

The censorship is a chance to use creative language, try that please

Swearing does not indicate a 'lack of creative language' or an 'inability' to use create language. Try to remember that, please.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What is your dream car? (question to anyone who cares to answer :wink:)

If I had a dream car (which I don't), it would be of course something that does not pollute and - equally important, IMHO - makes no noise. The internal combustion engine has destroyed the countryside not only with its pollution, but with the noise it makes as it rips the peace and quiet apart.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

My dream car (possibly needs a new thread) https://www.podbike.com/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
The (excessive, puerile and wholly unnecessary) censorship on this forum makes it impossible for me to tell you what I think BMW drivers are.

Suffice to say that I don't believe that the headline was in error.

The censorship is a chance to use creative language, try that please

Swearing does not indicate a 'lack of creative language' or an 'inability' to use create language. Try to remember that, please.

I think swearing is unnecessary, anyone may read these fora including small children, the mods pointed that out
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies