BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

De Sisti
Posts: 633
Joined: 17 Jun 2007, 6:03pm

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Postby De Sisti » 12 Feb 2019, 11:32am

londoncommuter0000 wrote:
De Sisti wrote:
londoncommuter0000 wrote:

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about this. What sort of personality would you attribute to someone who buys:
small cars, big cars, estates, convertibles, sports cars, blue cars, second hand cars? :wink:


Well, since few of us buy several cars at once, I would hypothesise that the make of car you bought at any particular point in your life, reflected your personality and priorities at that point.

Choice of car is not the only decision one makes in life, so cannot be used to define personality.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 562
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Postby Oldjohnw » 12 Feb 2019, 12:15pm

De Sisti wrote:
londoncommuter0000 wrote:
De Sisti wrote:Hmmm, I'm not so sure about this. What sort of personality would you attribute to someone who buys:
small cars, big cars, estates, convertibles, sports cars, blue cars, second hand cars? :wink:


Well, since few of us buy several cars at once, I would hypothesise that the make of car you bought at any particular point in your life, reflected your personality and priorities at that point.

Choice of car is not the only decision one makes in life, so cannot be used to define personality.



True. I am more than my car.
John

Cycling and recycling

londoncommuter0000
Posts: 177
Joined: 18 Jul 2018, 10:36am

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Postby londoncommuter0000 » 12 Feb 2019, 12:16pm

De Sisti wrote:
londoncommuter0000 wrote:
De Sisti wrote:Hmmm, I'm not so sure about this. What sort of personality would you attribute to someone who buys:
small cars, big cars, estates, convertibles, sports cars, blue cars, second hand cars? :wink:


Well, since few of us buy several cars at once, I would hypothesise that the make of car you bought at any particular point in your life, reflected your personality and priorities at that point.

Choice of car is not the only decision one makes in life, so cannot be used to define personality.


I didn't say it defined your personality. I said it reflected it. If you decide to wear a fluorescent pink jacket and to have a foot-high yellow mohican, then inferences can be drawn from that. The same if you choose to buy a Mercedes SUV.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit

Oldjohnw
Posts: 562
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Postby Oldjohnw » 12 Feb 2019, 12:20pm

londoncommuter0000 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:The problem with this thread was, in my view, the original newspaper report. Describing the case as "BMW driver" was unnecessary, unhelpful and prejudicial.


The (excessive, puerile and wholly unnecessary) censorship on this forum makes it impossible for me to tell you what I think BMW drivers are.

Suffice to say that I don't believe that the headline was in error.


So a judge (or jury) asks: " what kind of car did the defendant drive?"

"A BMW".

"OK, case solved. He must be guilty."
John

Cycling and recycling

londoncommuter0000
Posts: 177
Joined: 18 Jul 2018, 10:36am

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Postby londoncommuter0000 » 12 Feb 2019, 12:21pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
De Sisti wrote:
londoncommuter0000 wrote:
Well, since few of us buy several cars at once, I would hypothesise that the make of car you bought at any particular point in your life, reflected your personality and priorities at that point.

Choice of car is not the only decision one makes in life, so cannot be used to define personality.



True. I am more than my car.


Of course you are.

But the choice you make - let me correct that. The choices you make reflect on your personality.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit

londoncommuter0000
Posts: 177
Joined: 18 Jul 2018, 10:36am

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Postby londoncommuter0000 » 12 Feb 2019, 12:21pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
londoncommuter0000 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:The problem with this thread was, in my view, the original newspaper report. Describing the case as "BMW driver" was unnecessary, unhelpful and prejudicial.


The (excessive, puerile and wholly unnecessary) censorship on this forum makes it impossible for me to tell you what I think BMW drivers are.

Suffice to say that I don't believe that the headline was in error.


So a judge (or jury) asks: " what kind of car did the defendant drive?"

"A BMW".

"OK, case solved. He must be guilty."


Erm…
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit

pete75
Posts: 10487
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Postby pete75 » 12 Feb 2019, 4:24pm

londoncommuter0000 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
De Sisti wrote:Choice of car is not the only decision one makes in life, so cannot be used to define personality.



True. I am more than my car.


Of course you are.

But the choice you make - let me correct that. The choices you make reflect on your personality.


Not necessarily - quite a few people have no choice about what sort of car they get as it's supplied by their employer.

pete75
Posts: 10487
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Postby pete75 » 12 Feb 2019, 4:28pm

londoncommuter0000 wrote:
De Sisti wrote:
londoncommuter0000 wrote:
Well, since few of us buy several cars at once, I would hypothesise that the make of car you bought at any particular point in your life, reflected your personality and priorities at that point.

Choice of car is not the only decision one makes in life, so cannot be used to define personality.


I didn't say it defined your personality. I said it reflected it. If you decide to wear a fluorescent pink jacket and to have a foot-high yellow mohican, then inferences can be drawn from that. The same if you choose to buy a Mercedes SUV.

The inferences drawn will be entirely down to personal prejudices. Some who think they can judge people on appearance or car are likely to have quite a lot of those.

thelawnet
Posts: 1654
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 12:56am

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Postby thelawnet » 12 Feb 2019, 5:03pm

pete75 wrote:
londoncommuter0000 wrote:
De Sisti wrote:Choice of car is not the only decision one makes in life, so cannot be used to define personality.


I didn't say it defined your personality. I said it reflected it. If you decide to wear a fluorescent pink jacket and to have a foot-high yellow mohican, then inferences can be drawn from that. The same if you choose to buy a Mercedes SUV.

The inferences drawn will be entirely down to personal prejudices. Some who think they can judge people on appearance or car are likely to have quite a lot of those.


Any model or brand of car can be driven quickly, but it is sensible to draw certain inferences. For example, when I saw a blue Subaru pulling out from a car park yesterday I raised an eyebrow. 10 seconds later when the sound of wheel was heard behind me, I pulled off the road to get out of his way.

All quite predictable.

thirdcrank
Posts: 27837
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Postby thirdcrank » 12 Feb 2019, 5:14pm

thelawnet

As the OP, what campaigning have you in mind?

=================================================================================
PS News item here about somebody running amock in a boozer with a chainsaw. No information on whether it was a Stihl or some cheapo jobby from Lidl.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... aw-in-sale

pete75
Posts: 10487
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Postby pete75 » 12 Feb 2019, 6:07pm

thelawnet wrote:
pete75 wrote:
londoncommuter0000 wrote:
I didn't say it defined your personality. I said it reflected it. If you decide to wear a fluorescent pink jacket and to have a foot-high yellow mohican, then inferences can be drawn from that. The same if you choose to buy a Mercedes SUV.

The inferences drawn will be entirely down to personal prejudices. Some who think they can judge people on appearance or car are likely to have quite a lot of those.


Any model or brand of car can be driven quickly, but it is sensible to draw certain inferences. For example, when I saw a blue Subaru pulling out from a car park yesterday I raised an eyebrow. 10 seconds later when the sound of wheel was heard behind me, I pulled off the road to get out of his way.

All quite predictable.

Subaru - around here they're called a vet's car as so many vets have 4 wheel drive Foresters or Outback estates not to mention land agents and agricultural auctioneers and valuers. What don't you like about vets driving?

thelawnet
Posts: 1654
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 12:56am

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Postby thelawnet » 12 Feb 2019, 6:21pm

thirdcrank wrote:thelawnet

As the OP, what campaigning have you in mind?


Did I not explain earlier in the thread? My observation was this chap is someone who seeks out vehicles designed to go fast on the sort of roads used by cyclists and then drives them in a dangerous manner on the same road. The issues are the history of dangerous driving, and the vehicular assault.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 5277
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Postby Bonefishblues » 12 Feb 2019, 6:34pm

Cunobelin wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

...or is it flawed?

Could be simply the size of the cohort?

If only two BMW drivers were interviewed, on a smoked / vaped and one didn't that would be 50%.

The survey is not flawed as it is 100% accurate.

Well it would be if we could be sure that the survey method was reliable, yes. Then as you rightly say, we'd have to turn our attention to the way in which it had been used.

As I indicated in a reply to ano above, we must be careful to apply the same scrutiny to everything we forward to support or challenge something.



Nope..... The thing to do is treat others like adults.

Rather than perform. critical review of the research methodology of any article before posting... post it and assume that most others on here can form an opinion of their own.

Our view differs then. I don't post things without looking critically at whether they actually support a point I'm making.

brynpoeth
Posts: 8771
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Postby brynpoeth » 12 Feb 2019, 7:01pm

londoncommuter0000 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:The problem with this thread was, in my view, the original newspaper report. Describing the case as "BMW driver" was unnecessary, unhelpful and prejudicial.


The (excessive, puerile and wholly unnecessary) censorship on this forum makes it impossible for me to tell you what I think BMW drivers are.

Suffice to say that I don't believe that the headline was in error.

The censorship is a chance to use creative language, try that please

Hardly anyone buys a car new, moisture registered by dealers first or leased

My dream car is no car, if I had to have one, a volvo 240, c 1978. What is your dream car? (question to anyone who cares to answer :wink:)
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras & STOP signs

thirdcrank
Posts: 27837
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Postby thirdcrank » 12 Feb 2019, 7:28pm

thelawnet wrote: ... Did I not explain earlier in the thread? My observation was this chap is someone who seeks out vehicles designed to go fast on the sort of roads used by cyclists and then drives them in a dangerous manner on the same road. The issues are the history of dangerous driving, and the vehicular assault.


Thanks for that. A search on "assault" seems to show the word has been used only twice before in the thread, once by profpointy and again in my support for their comment.

It's my impression in bad driving threads more generally, there's often a call for drivers who injure others to be charged with assault. It's not always as easy as that because it's not easy to prove criminal intent but here's a case where intent seems obvious - the driver came back for more - and yet there's no report of an assault charge.

I can see a couple of important issues here:

Driver uses vehicle as a weapon AND receives non-custodial sentence. Neither has received much attention here. The use of custody is a wider debate so I'll concentrate on the assault. We could make it "Driver uses vehicle as a weapon in assault on cyclist" to acknowledge that this is a cycling forum. Is there an obvious subject for a campaign? I'd have said so, but I defer to the majority view that there's more to be gained from a session of stereotyping BMW drivers, whose impact on the world beyond this forum will be zilch.