BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

De Sisti

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Post by De Sisti »

londoncommuter0000 wrote:
De Sisti wrote:

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about this. What sort of personality would you attribute to someone who buys:
small cars, big cars, estates, convertibles, sports cars, blue cars, second hand cars? :wink:

Well, since few of us buy several cars at once, I would hypothesise that the make of car you bought at any particular point in your life, reflected your personality and priorities at that point.

Choice of car is not the only decision one makes in life, so cannot be used to define personality.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

De Sisti wrote:
De Sisti wrote:Hmmm, I'm not so sure about this. What sort of personality would you attribute to someone who buys:
small cars, big cars, estates, convertibles, sports cars, blue cars, second hand cars? :wink:

Well, since few of us buy several cars at once, I would hypothesise that the make of car you bought at any particular point in your life, reflected your personality and priorities at that point.

Choice of car is not the only decision one makes in life, so cannot be used to define personality.

True. I am more than my car.
John
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

De Sisti wrote:
De Sisti wrote:Hmmm, I'm not so sure about this. What sort of personality would you attribute to someone who buys:

I didn't say it defined your personality. I said it reflected it. If you decide to wear a fluorescent pink jacket and to have a foot-high yellow mohican, then inferences can be drawn from that. The same if you choose to buy a Mercedes SUV.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Oldjohnw wrote:The problem with this thread was, in my view, the original newspaper report. Describing the case as "BMW driver" was unnecessary, unhelpful and prejudicial.

The (excessive, puerile and wholly unnecessary) censorship on this forum makes it impossible for me to tell you what I think BMW drivers are.

Suffice to say that I don't believe that the headline was in error.

So a judge (or jury) asks: " what kind of car did the defendant drive?"

"A BMW".

"OK, case solved. He must be guilty."
John
londoncommuter0000

Oldjohnw wrote:
De Sisti wrote:

Of course you are.

But the choice you make - let me correct that. The choices you make reflect on your personality.
--
London is a cesspit
londoncommuter0000

Oldjohnw wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:The problem with this thread was, in my view, the original newspaper report. Describing the case as "BMW driver" was unnecessary, unhelpful and prejudicial.

The (excessive, puerile and wholly unnecessary) censorship on this forum makes it impossible for me to tell you what I think BMW drivers are.

So a judge (or jury) asks: " what kind of car did the defendant drive?"

"A BMW".

"OK, case solved. He must be guilty."

Erm…
--
London is a cesspit
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote:
De Sisti wrote:Choice of car is not the only decision one makes in life, so cannot be used to define personality.

Of course you are.

But the choice you make - let me correct that. The choices you make reflect on your personality.

Not necessarily - quite a few people have no choice about what sort of car they get as it's supplied by their employer.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

De Sisti wrote:

I didn't say it defined your personality. I said it reflected it. If you decide to wear a fluorescent pink jacket and to have a foot-high yellow mohican, then inferences can be drawn from that. The same if you choose to buy a Mercedes SUV.

The inferences drawn will be entirely down to personal prejudices. Some who think they can judge people on appearance or car are likely to have quite a lot of those.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

pete75 wrote:
De Sisti wrote:Choice of car is not the only decision one makes in life, so cannot be used to define personality.

The inferences drawn will be entirely down to personal prejudices. Some who think they can judge people on appearance or car are likely to have quite a lot of those.

Any model or brand of car can be driven quickly, but it is sensible to draw certain inferences. For example, when I saw a blue Subaru pulling out from a car park yesterday I raised an eyebrow. 10 seconds later when the sound of wheel was heard behind me, I pulled off the road to get out of his way.

All quite predictable.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

thelawnet

As the OP, what campaigning have you in mind?

=================================================================================
PS News item here about somebody running amock in a boozer with a chainsaw. No information on whether it was a Stihl or some cheapo jobby from Lidl.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... aw-in-sale
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thelawnet wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Any model or brand of car can be driven quickly, but it is sensible to draw certain inferences. For example, when I saw a blue Subaru pulling out from a car park yesterday I raised an eyebrow. 10 seconds later when the sound of wheel was heard behind me, I pulled off the road to get out of his way.

All quite predictable.

Subaru - around here they're called a vet's car as so many vets have 4 wheel drive Foresters or Outback estates not to mention land agents and agricultural auctioneers and valuers. What don't you like about vets driving?
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

thirdcrank wrote:thelawnet

As the OP, what campaigning have you in mind?

Did I not explain earlier in the thread? My observation was this chap is someone who seeks out vehicles designed to go fast on the sort of roads used by cyclists and then drives them in a dangerous manner on the same road. The issues are the history of dangerous driving, and the vehicular assault.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cunobelin wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

...or is it flawed?

Could be simply the size of the cohort?

If only two BMW drivers were interviewed, on a smoked / vaped and one didn't that would be 50%.

The survey is not flawed as it is 100% accurate.

Well it would be if we could be sure that the survey method was reliable, yes. Then as you rightly say, we'd have to turn our attention to the way in which it had been used.

As I indicated in a reply to ano above, we must be careful to apply the same scrutiny to everything we forward to support or challenge something.

Nope..... The thing to do is treat others like adults.

Rather than perform. critical review of the research methodology of any article before posting... post it and assume that most others on here can form an opinion of their own.

Our view differs then. I don't post things without looking critically at whether they actually support a point I'm making.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The censorship is a chance to use creative language, try that please

Hardly anyone buys a car new, moisture registered by dealers first or leased

My dream car is no car, if I had to have one, a volvo 240, c 1978. What is your dream car? (question to anyone who cares to answer :wink:)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

thelawnet wrote: ... Did I not explain earlier in the thread? My observation was this chap is someone who seeks out vehicles designed to go fast on the sort of roads used by cyclists and then drives them in a dangerous manner on the same road. The issues are the history of dangerous driving, and the vehicular assault.

Thanks for that. A search on "assault" seems to show the word has been used only twice before in the thread, once by profpointy and again in my support for their comment.

It's my impression in bad driving threads more generally, there's often a call for drivers who injure others to be charged with assault. It's not always as easy as that because it's not easy to prove criminal intent but here's a case where intent seems obvious - the driver came back for more - and yet there's no report of an assault charge.

I can see a couple of important issues here:

Driver uses vehicle as a weapon AND receives non-custodial sentence. Neither has received much attention here. The use of custody is a wider debate so I'll concentrate on the assault. We could make it "Driver uses vehicle as a weapon in assault on cyclist" to acknowledge that this is a cycling forum. Is there an obvious subject for a campaign? I'd have said so, but I defer to the majority view that there's more to be gained from a session of stereotyping BMW drivers, whose impact on the world beyond this forum will be zilch.