"Elderly drivers can't cope with modern traffic" - wrong argument?

The utility cyclist

Re: "Elderly drivers can't cope with modern traffic" - wrong argument?

Post by The utility cyclist »

NSL should be removed completely from every road and be reduced to 40mph as the maximum default, aside from motorways and major dualled trunk roads, all others should be reassessed taking note of 'be able to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear' and also taking into account vulnerable road users (because we aren't getting parallel wide cycle lanes on major routes anytime this century). Whilst it's sometimes unavoidable to be on roads without encountering 60/70mph speeds by drivers and their boxes, it's pretty clear that 70 and even 60mph is too fast most of the time for most motorists to be safe in any case.

This could make older drivers (and indeed other drivers with some minor impairments deemed to be legal on the roads, drivers who don't feel confident or simply don't want to go at xx speeds) feel less pressured to drive at speeds they feel uncomfortable and have that extra time to make decisions.
It'll also increase it *thinking time) for those that believe they are king of the roads and are invincible. Too often I see people (including older drivers) belting round corners as if they are on a track, I'm fed up of the number of drivers whowith the aid of modern tech in motors and bigger tyres will drive around mini roundabouts cutting them as straight lines or around a bend in the road with parked cars on their side in excess of the 30mph limit never mind when it comes to 50/60/70.

Government are complicit in the whole poop storm and do nothing when we have the tech to force modern motors to obey maximum speeds and the ability to reduce the limits as well, these things should be a matter of urgency, over and above spending billions on EV infrastructure and pointless vanity projects disguised as 'high speed' trains/lines. :twisted:
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

RickH wrote:Are speed signs on the road surface only legal? I thought (possibly mistakenly) that they were reinforcement of the legal road signs.

I thought speeds signs on the road are reinforcement ie repeater, signs in a speed limited section of road. There are normally signs on poles at the start of the limit, but are there areas with an exception to this?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

The NSL is a total joke, here their are lots of lanes that two cars can only just pass and the limit is NSL, some of the lanes are even more narrow. i go slow down them on my bike and even slower walking my old single speed dog, people come around the bends at speed, madness.
Total bloomin madness, the law of the tin box.
Pat