CS9 plans involve adding another lane for motor traffic on Kew Bridge

Wanlock Dod

CS9 plans involve adding another lane for motor traffic on Kew Bridge

Post by Wanlock Dod »

from road.cc

Tom Bowden points out that Transport for London’s (TfL) CS9 plans involve halving the permitted space for cycling on Kew Bridge to just one of the pavements, shared with a bus stop. The plans can be found here

Tom said: “TfL are now proposing to try and squeeze four lanes of motor traffic (instead of three) onto Kew Bridge. They are going to do this by cutting back the pavement on the east side of Kew Bridge, and banning cycling here (it is currently shared space).

“Instead, they claim they are going to widen the pavement on the west side (though it is hard to see how they can do this and fit the extra traffic lane), and require cyclists to cross the road twice to use this facility.

“Currently, the wider single lane heading south towards Kew from Brentford allows some safer space for on-road cycling. This will go if two lanes of motor traffic are being crammed in. TfL appear to have no plans to move the bus stop shelters which already take up a lot of each pavement.

“This looks like an attempt to remove space for cycling, and make conditions less convenient for cyclists and people on foot, in favour of allowing yet more capacity for motor vehicles – and using cycle funding for this purpose.”

The consultation is here, but only has a few days remaining...
MikeF

Re: CS9 plans involve adding another lane for motor traffic on Kew Bridge

Post by MikeF »

I'm not familiar with the area so cannot really comment. However Tfl have included cycling times in their modelling, which is more than local authorities around here do.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.