7%
Don't know/no opinion (yet)
No votes

Total votes: 28

Cugel

Re: More cycling? Less motoring?

Postby Cugel » 11 Jul 2019, 8:23pm

Carlton green wrote:(snip)

Where you live does dictate a lot of choices and, of course, where you live is often a decision made with many and varied compromises. As and when we move house again I’d by far prefer to be able to manage without a car for say nine out of ten journeys. However, whilst all things are ‘possible’ some arrangements are only a sufficiently workable choice for some people for some of the time.

Exactly so - there is never a single factor involved in making a decision as complex as where to live.

Moving to West Wales from near Lancaster gets us the ability to not just avoid the madding crowd but also to have an eco house and a generally greener lifestyle, despite the increased use of the (electric) car compared to the use of the (ICE) car in NW England. The usage is still relatively small at about 8000 miles per year.

Overall, the quality of life is better for us now but does actually have a smaller carbon footprint, if still too big given human-induced climate change. But we also have a greater opportunity, moving to West Wales, to further decrease our carbon footprint, which was not possible in our NW England abode. We have a realistic chance of being carbon neutral after a bit more fiddling about with our renewable energy creation and our normal energy usage rate.

Not that carbon footprints are the be-all and end-all - although thinking about it, they may be the actual end-all for all of us!

When the dogs shuffle off their mortal coils, perhaps in around three years time, we can probably stop even the electric car use and go everywhere on our bikes, for the great majority of our remaining days. Occasional car hire might be done but it would be very occasional, as we're not the" holiday here, there and everywhere" sort. In fact our daily lives are one long holiday of walking, cycling, swimming, gardening, woodworking, ....... and much else that some feel they can only do in Thailand or The Greek Isles 3 weeks a year after a long flight in a real gas guzzler. :-)

Cugel

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 11 Jul 2019, 8:58pm

Bitte auch deine geistige Bildung nicht vergessen, please do not forget your education, ich freu mich auf deine erst Post auf Walisisch, I am looking forward to your first Welsh post (with English translation)

One long holiday, +1, been to Drygarn Fawr yet? Plenty of nowt there :wink:

(8000 miles is fairly average :?)
Wanted to ask too, you lived up in Lance-shire many decades, must have had lots of friends there, what decided you to upgrade to Wales?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 12 Jul 2019, 8:52am

brynpoeth wrote:(snip)

(8000 miles is fairly average :?)
Wanted to ask too, you lived up in Lance-shire many decades, must have had lots of friends there, what decided you to upgrade to Wales?

I have the figure of 12.000 miles per year as an average but admit to not taking too much interest in motoring matters so perhaps I am a profligate mile muncher after all. Of course, my 8000 car miles are not only 98% electric but driven perfekly by a little motoring saint who is kind and considerate to all, even the beetles trying to cross the road. :-)

Why emigrate to West Wales? I've spent more and more of each year living here since the 80s but the ever-increasing madding crowds of NW England (and the constant building of tatty new houses with no supporting infrastructure but 4 cars per household) became somewhat tedious so....

I miss the cycling club and some daily-see friends, although one is currently visiting (with dog) as have/will others. Already I have the new friendships beginning here, a number of which are via the ladywife's membership of the local Wild Indians (Women's Institute). But the quiet life suits me, especially as I become less enamoured of humanity in general as I get older. You think you're a curmudgeon? Pah!

Cugel

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 4 Aug 2019, 8:39am

Planning to upgrade to being a real curmudgeon when I retire :wink:

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 28 Aug 2019, 6:10am

Been cycling to work for a few months, there really are too many cyclists
Or rather there is too much traffic altogether, especially Too Many Mortons, and too little Space for Cycling

One rather dislikes cyclists who ride in groups of two or more, yakking away, often riding two abreast :?

There is a narrow bridge full of cyclists, some poor people have to walk over it
I go especially slow there to protect them