Insurance for cyclists again

Wanlock Dod

Re: Insurance for cyclists again

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Yet the police are investigating this incident where a pedestrian was pushed into the road. The offender was most likely unlicensed, unregistered, and uninsured but that hasn’t prevented it being investigated. No calls for greater regulation of pedestrians though. Apparently the Lordy lord in question was helped by two bystanders which suggests that there were witnesses to the assault, and the police have quite a good record of dealing with these types of incidents successfully.
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

Am I to assume that if Prof Winston had got into an argument with a fellow pedestrian who had kicked him, he would then be calling for all pedestrians to carry ID numbers?
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

Hmmm, I doubt it.

His bio https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Winston shows a number of professional bodies there to complain to, and he does have a Twitter feed apparently.

I feel a few complaints coming on, for someone who apparently represents science his attitude to cyclists from his anecdotal experience is appaulingly unscientific, as a starter for 10 maybe he needs reminding that the plural of "anecdote" is NOT "data". Then there is the data he has not considered- that mandatory licensing and registration doesn't stop car drivers from killing and injuring people (far mor often than cyclist do at that).

Also, given his association with medicine and health (including an gold award from a health organisation), he seems to have forgotten the health benefits of cycling and how much that would suffer if cyclists had to be mandatorily registered.

He is in a public office and commands attention due to the privleges of those offices- so he should be judged on the higher standard required of that (in the same way as someone making islamophobic or antisemetic comments would be held to account for their remarks).

TPO
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Don't stick your nose into other peoples business and they may be less inclined to do unpleasant things in return.

In any case, number plates don't seem to prevent car drivers indulging in jolly bouts of fisticuffs. It's just sour grapes from some out of touch has-been who stuck his nose in and came off worse. Even most of my non cycling, and even anti cycling, associates think he's a twit for this.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.