Should we stop using the word 'cyclists'?

kwackers

Re: Should we stop using the word 'cyclists'?

Post by kwackers »

pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Motron is the word, or moturd perhaps

Motard is French for motorcyclist, a two-wheeled friend

(my bold)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48826650

Shame I'm not French they'd be my friend as opposed to the contraction of two words I intend.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Here's a thought. I suspect that, relatively, there are as many cycling as motoring idiots. A cycling idiot causes less harm but they are still idiots.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 2 Jul 2019, 1:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Oldjohnw wrote:Here's a thought. I suspect that, relatively, ther are as many cycling as motoring idiots.

Yep, we need a word for cycling idiots.
Cyclards?

Perhaps we can add 'ard' to activity being done by idiots?
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

Perhaps we can prepend bad/incompetent/thoughtless to collections of people that perform an activity in that way, in order to create greater specificity? Why the need for new words; is it just to build a clique?

Yours grumpily, but inclusively,

rfryer
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

rfryer wrote:Perhaps we can prepend bad/incompetent/thoughtless to collections of people that perform an activity in that way, in order to create greater specificity? Why the need for new words; is it just to build a clique?

rfryer

Prepended words both change a word into a (too) long phrase and diminish the contempt I feel for such people.
Motard implies every kind of bad: incompetence, thoughtlessness and outright aggression into a single easy to wield word.

I predict its inclusion into the Oxford English Dictionary in fairly short order and then these discussions can cease. ;)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rfryer wrote:Perhaps we can prepend bad/incompetent/thoughtless to collections of people that perform an activity in that way, in order to create greater specificity? Why the need for new words; is it just to build a clique?

rfryer

I'd agree with that.
Person riding a bi/tri/quadcycle= cyclist whether of sound mind and action or not
Person riding motorcycle(however many wheels) = motorcyclist whether of sound mind and action or not
Person driving a car = motorist whether of sound mind and action or not.

Prejudice is,thankfully,in the minority,to join in the prejudice is to increase the problem.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

reohn2 wrote:

rfryer

I'd agree with that.
Person riding a bi/tri/quadcycle= cyclist whether of sound mind and action or not
Person riding motorcycle(however many wheels) = motorcyclist whether of sound mind and action or not

Prejudice is,thankfully,in the minority,to join in the prejudice is to increase the problem.

And I'd add that use of any word is mainly about context. If we use the word "motorist" - for example - in a reasonable, respectful manner, then all should be well; the context should make clear whether a *specific* driver is worthy of praise or shame.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

rfryer

I'd agree with that.

And I'd add that use of any word is mainly about context. If we use the word "motorist" - for example - in a reasonable, respectful manner, then all should be well; the context should make clear whether a *specific* driver is worthy of praise or shame.

Agreed,rather than terms like PoB or Motard or similar being used to describe people who don't fit the clique mentality of those who use such generalities.
Last edited by reohn2 on 2 Jul 2019, 2:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mattheus wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

rfryer

I'd agree with that.

The terms 'motard' or 'motron' are too often, in my view, used indiscriminately ie to describe all who drive a motor vehicle.
John
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Words are used to give you a quick handle on something.

What is a cyclist? To me it's a vague concept of someone riding something that requires peddling.
On the other hand if I hear mamil or pob or ninja I immediately have a mental image above and beyond that generic term.

A motorist is another generalised figure whose driving is non-descript. A motard on the other hand is driving in fairly specific way.

FWIW I'm not a fan of the word "cyclist", I prefer to think of myself as a pob. Given I don't wear lyrca, team colours or even anything cycling specific and my bike is a fairly non-descript bike with a pannier attached I feel pob is a better match for what I am.
Cyclist lumps everyone into the same bucket, pob is more specific.

Embrace the new words, life is too short to make up long flowery descriptions in order to get across a simple concept.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Personally, I couldn't give a tuppeny stuff what I'm called. I ride a bike and occasionally drive a car. I try always to respect others.
John
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Oldjohnw wrote:Personally, I couldn't give a tuppeny stuff what I'm called. I ride a bike and occasionally drive a car. I try always to respect others.

From now on you'll forever be a "respectomoclist" to me.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

Oldjohnw wrote:
mattheus wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I'd agree with that.

The terms 'motard' or 'motron' are too often, in my view, used indiscriminately ie to describe all who drive a motor vehicle.

Actually, I've got no real idea how they are used - only how I tend to interpret them. Which is kind of the point - there's no point using language where it's well-known that some readers will misinterpret your meaning.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oldjohnw wrote:The terms 'motard' or 'motron' are too often, in my view, used indiscriminately ie to describe all who drive a motor vehicle.

Does that view say more about the reader than the writer, though?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:Here's a thought. I suspect that, relatively, there are as many cycling as motoring idiots. A cycling idiot causes less harm but they are still idiots.

Another similarity: one of the main dangers created by cyclards is going too fast (not infrequently exceeding the maximum speed limit) :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies