Should we stop using the word 'cyclists'?

kwackers

Re: Should we stop using the word 'cyclists'?

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Another similarity: one of the main dangers created by cyclards is going too fast (not infrequently exceeding the maximum speed limit) :(

What maximum speed limit?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

kwackers wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Another similarity: one of the main dangers created by cyclards is going too fast (not infrequently exceeding the maximum speed limit) :(

30 kmh
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
kwackers wrote:

30 kmh

Where's this?
I know some parks have bicycle speed limits but I'm unaware of anywhere else.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I am a Cyclist.
I have been a Cyclist for 44 years.
Before that i was a cyclist for 12 years.
Before that i was a toddler.
I like being a Cyclist.
Not a Bike Rider, not a cycle rider ..... non of the other names the commenters use during their reports of cycling in and on the media.
A Cyclist, a supporter of the Cyclists Touring Club .... wherever it might be.
:D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

kwackers wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
kwackers wrote:What maximum speed limit?

30 kmh

Where's this?
I know some parks have bicycle speed limits but I'm unaware of anywhere else.

20 mph if you prefer
Plenty go too fast or too close without exceeding the maximum
I try not to leave gaps but I am often undertaken, for example when riding outwith the door zone, PoBs undertake, one even offered violence after I pointed out that one should overtake on the offside
Certainly do not want even more cycling! Nimby, at least
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

‘PoB’ ? Perhaps it’s a term in common usage here and one that ‘everyone’ else understands already. Does ‘PoB’ mean ‘person on bike’?

Would it be a case of all Cyclists are (also) PoB’s but all PoB’s are not Cyclists? If so then I believe that some PoB’s get the rest of us a bad name, or at least tarnish our reputation, and that in doing so they both encourage and generate anti-cycling sentiment.

‘Anti’ sentiment is something to have some concern about, if I gets great enough then it will result in adverse consequences.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

kwackers wrote:

It’s usually displayed on road signs and normally 30 mph in built up areas. The Highway Code is a good guide and I believe that speed limits apply to Bicycles in the same way that they apply to Cars and Lorries.

Of course Bikes don’t (yet compulsory) have speedometers on them so whether you’re within a speed limit might be open to question. I try ride within the limit of my brakes and visibility, etc.; at a guess my pace on a level and open minor road must be around 20 mph.
Last edited by Carlton green on 3 Jul 2019, 9:52am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Carlton green wrote:
kwackers wrote:

It’s usually displayed on road signs and normally 30 mph in built up areas. The Highway Code is a good guide and I believe that speed limits apply to Bicycles in the same way that they apply to Cars and Lorries.

But bicycles are not required to have the means to measure speed.
John
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Carlton green wrote:‘PoB’ ? Perhaps it’s a term in common usage here and one that ‘everyone’ else understands already. Does ‘PoB’ mean ‘person on bike’?

Would it be a case of all Cyclists are (also) PoB’s but all PoB’s are not Cyclists? If so then I believe that some PoB’s get the rest of us a bad name, or at least tarnish our reputation, and that in doing so they both encourage and generate anti-cycling sentiment.

‘Anti’ sentiment is something to have some concern about, if I gets great enough then it will result in adverse consequences.

Whilst folk complain about cyclists its my experience that the most common complaints are aimed at "lycra louts" / "mamils".
I guess the argument is that these people dress as a tribe and so any behaviour they exhibit is assumed to apply to the entire tribe.

In contrast PoB's are just that, "people on bikes". They don't belong to a tribe they just look like people which makes it harder to characterise them beyond the overarching term "cyclist".

Being a person on a bike is hardly something that gives cyclists a bad name, to the contrary just looking like a normal person on a bike in my opinion makes cycling look accessible to normal people who don't want to dress up like power rangers to nip to the shops.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Carlton green wrote:It’s usually displayed on road signs and normally 30 mph in built up areas. The Highway Code is a good guide and I believe that speed limits apply to Bicycles in the same way that they apply to Cars and Lorries.

The highway code is a good guide - but tbh you need to read it rather than assume. ;)
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Gosh some really rapid responses and before I’d finished polishing / correcting my posts.

If you have to wear Lycra to be a Cyclist then I’m not a Cyclist and doubt that I ever will be. I’ve virtually always worn normal cloths to cycle in. What is a Cyclist and how does one distinguish them from PoB’s ? I’m inclined to think it’s about attitudes and behaviours.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Carlton green wrote:Gosh some really rapid responses and before I’d finished polishing / correcting my posts.

If you have to wear Lycra to be a Cyclist then I’m not a Cyclist and doubt that I ever will be. I’ve virtually always worn normal cloths to cycle in. What is a Cyclist and how does one distinguish them from PoB’s ? I’m inclined to think it’s about attitudes and behaviours.

Sorry I thought I'd cleared up my thoughts earlier.
To me "cyclist" is a generic term - on a bike you're a cyclist but it says nothing about the sort of cyclist you are.
Hence why to me I'm a PoB - because that's what I look like.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Carlton green wrote:Would it be a case of all Cyclists are (also) PoB’s but all PoB’s are not Cyclists? If so then I believe that some PoB’s get the rest of us a bad name, or at least tarnish our reputation, and that in doing so they both encourage and generate anti-cycling sentiment.

Yes, it's another attempt to divide and conquer the remaining cyclists.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Sounds like some sort of two-wheeled snobbery to me.
John
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Oldjohnw wrote:Sounds like some sort of two-wheeled snobbery to me.

That’s disappointing as my comments are not intended as snobbery in any way. If you’re happy not to differentiate between people who ride responsibly and with respect to others and those that do then that’s your right. To my mind accepting the common use of the term Cyclists to include those that ride in clearly irresponsible, illegal or antisocial ways isn’t helpful. That’s not some snobbish us and them attitude at all as it judges exhibited attitudes and behaviours rather than individuals.