Cycle Nation to merge with Cycling UK

vat1666firerates1

Cycle Nation to merge with Cycling UK

Postby vat1666firerates1 » 28 Apr 2019, 3:31pm

Just heard CN is to merge with CUK.

Does anybody know anything more about this why is it happening?

sizbut

Re: Cycle Nation to merge with Cycling UK

Postby sizbut » 28 Apr 2019, 7:31pm

Because the only way those behind a failed organisation that most people have never heard of can save face as it closes down, is to pretend its a strategic merger.

RickH

Postby RickH » 28 Apr 2019, 7:47pm

Has anyone got any evidence that this is actually happening? My google-fu skills didn't come up with anything apart from a link back to this topic!

richardfm

Postby richardfm » 28 Apr 2019, 9:28pm

I've never heard of Cycle Nation, so I googled them and found this
Capture.PNG

mjr

Postby mjr » 28 Apr 2019, 10:30pm

vat1666firerates1 wrote:Just heard CN is to merge with CUK.

Does anybody know anything more about this why is it happening?

It's not happening yet, as far as I know. One CN member has proposed trying again, but the last attempt didn't happen. I'm not sure CUK is interested in creating a new group affiliation category for local campaigns and the current one is a bad fit IMO.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

mjr

Postby mjr » 28 Apr 2019, 10:34pm

sizbut wrote:Because the only way those behind a failed organisation that most people have never heard of can save face as it closes down, is to pretend its a strategic merger.

Not failed yet (although struggling because it needs more resources to do more, as usual) and Cyclenation's purpose is to support its members like GMCC, Camcycle and KLWNBUG, rather than self-promotion, so it's OK that most people have never heard of it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

vat1666firerates1

Postby vat1666firerates1 » 29 Apr 2019, 3:51am

I also heard Cambridge Cycling Campaign and London Cycling Campaign are no longer members due to the cost of membership fees.

mjr

Postby mjr » 29 Apr 2019, 10:37am

vat1666firerates1 wrote:I also heard Cambridge Cycling Campaign and London Cycling Campaign are no longer members due to the cost of membership fees.

LCC it's very possible, as the last fee structure did charge them more than most, but LCC is still used as CN's postal address, so hopefully still friendly. I'll ask Camcycle officers when I expect to see them next week. I'd hope they would seek a change to the fee structure instead of simply quitting but they can do what they like.

CUK's flat-rate group affiliation fee has the opposite problem, benefitting big city groups and penalising rural districts, as well as offering nothing concrete useful except a shared copy of Cycle magazine.