Finally... Beckham gets banned

Barks
Posts: 261
Joined: 14 Oct 2016, 5:27pm

Finally... Beckham gets banned

Postby Barks » 9 May 2019, 5:28pm

After numerous close calls on previous motoring offences David Beckham finally gets nailed for using a mobile phone at the wheel. As 6 points already on his licence sux moth ban and fines. I wonder if he might consider changing his behaviour once back on the road?


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48213106

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 13761
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Finally... Beckham gets banned

Postby mjr » 9 May 2019, 5:50pm

Barks wrote:I wonder if he might consider changing his behaviour once back on the road?

That seems far from sure. On the one hand he pled guilty, but on the other claimed "no recollection of the day in question or this particular incident".
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Mike Sales
Posts: 3345
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Finally... Beckham gets banned

Postby Mike Sales » 9 May 2019, 5:58pm

mjr wrote:On the one hand he pled guilty, but on the other claimed "no recollection of the day in question or this particular incident".


That seems to imply that using a phone whilst driving is habitual behaviour for him.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 1816
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Finally... Beckham gets banned

Postby Oldjohnw » 9 May 2019, 6:04pm

As if his cars didn't have hands free.
John

Cycling and recycling

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6793
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Finally... Beckham gets banned

Postby Bonefishblues » 9 May 2019, 6:58pm

Barks wrote:After numerous close calls on previous motoring offences David Beckham finally gets nailed for using a mobile phone at the wheel. As 6 points already on his licence sux moth ban and fines. I wonder if he might consider changing his behaviour once back on the road?


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48213106

How many other close calls has he had, out of interest?

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46492
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Finally... Beckham gets banned

Postby Mick F » 9 May 2019, 7:23pm

Oldjohnw wrote:As if his cars didn't have hands free.
Exactly.
Can you buy a car nowadays without it?

Last two of ours have been bluetooth enabled for mobile phones, controlled from buttons on the steering wheel. This is going back to 2011.
Mick F. Cornwall

irc
Posts: 4537
Joined: 3 Dec 2008, 2:22pm
Location: glasgow

Re: Finally... Beckham gets banned

Postby irc » 9 May 2019, 8:28pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
Barks wrote:After numerous close calls on previous motoring offences David Beckham finally gets nailed for using a mobile phone at the wheel. As 6 points already on his licence sux moth ban and fines. I wonder if he might consider changing his behaviour once back on the road?


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48213106

How many other close calls has he had, out of interest?


https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7176006/d ... -loophole/

Late paperwork gwts speeding charge dropped

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/567909.stm

Doing 76 in a 50 trying to escape a paparazzi photographer.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6793
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Finally... Beckham gets banned

Postby Bonefishblues » 9 May 2019, 8:33pm

Does two constitute numerous, I wonder, or is it more about his profile and ability to employ expensive and similarly high profile lawyers?

User avatar
Lance Dopestrong
Posts: 1227
Joined: 18 Sep 2014, 1:52pm

Re: Finally... Beckham gets banned

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 9 May 2019, 11:06pm

That fine will teach him. He'll be close to financial ruin and will never offend again. Publicly crushing his phone and car (ideally with him in the drivers seat) would have been more fitting.
https://themediocrecyclist.home.blog
Self employed MIAS L5.B Instructor.
Warwickshire Lowland Rescue Bike lead.
IPMBA certified member.
Cyctech C2 hammer and crowbar bodger.
Lapsed CTC Ride Leader, amateur hour stuff from the fun old days.

Psamathe
Posts: 10423
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Finally... Beckham gets banned

Postby Psamathe » 9 May 2019, 11:13pm

Mick F wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:As if his cars didn't have hands free.
Exactly.
Can you buy a car nowadays without it?

Last two of ours have been bluetooth enabled for mobile phones, controlled from buttons on the steering wheel. This is going back to 2011.

I suspect that making phone calls is a small aspect of what many use their phones for. Twtiier updates, Facebook updates, WhatsApp, Instagram, Google+, etc., etc. (I have little idea about what services are being used these days) but to see that latest photo your mat has just posted handsfree not a great help.

Ian

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 13761
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Finally... Beckham gets banned

Postby mjr » 9 May 2019, 11:27pm

Bonefishblues wrote:Does two constitute numerous, I wonder, [...]

As I have a maths degree, I am happy to confirm that two is indeed a number and so strictly speaking, two things are numerous. ;) Not what's usually meant by it IMO.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

brynpoeth
Posts: 11034
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Finally... Beckham gets banned

Postby brynpoeth » 10 May 2019, 4:15am

The Grauniad reports that 86% of those caught telephoning were male :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

User avatar
Lance Dopestrong
Posts: 1227
Joined: 18 Sep 2014, 1:52pm

Re: Finally... Beckham gets banned

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 10 May 2019, 7:59am

brynpoeth wrote:The Grauniad reports that 86% of those caught telephoning were male :?


Because the females were going too fast to be caught!
https://themediocrecyclist.home.blog
Self employed MIAS L5.B Instructor.
Warwickshire Lowland Rescue Bike lead.
IPMBA certified member.
Cyctech C2 hammer and crowbar bodger.
Lapsed CTC Ride Leader, amateur hour stuff from the fun old days.

thirdcrank
Posts: 28648
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Finally... Beckham gets banned

Postby thirdcrank » 10 May 2019, 8:08am

I feel a bit - but only a bit - sorry for DB here. Most brands he helps advertise will pay him megabucks for his name to be associated with the product or service, but he's helped publicise NIck Freeman's Loophole brand and the publicity is coming back to bite him.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6793
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Finally... Beckham gets banned

Postby Bonefishblues » 10 May 2019, 9:12am

I expect the mobile phone endorsements will dry up somewhat now :D