Page 1 of 1

Guardian video on cyclists breaking the law

Posted: 10 May 2019, 10:43am
by horizon

Re: Guardian video on cyclists breaking the law

Posted: 10 May 2019, 10:55am
by reohn2
That video should be shown at prime time TV along with a series of road safety programs in relation to who it is that's causing the most mayhem on UK roads.
Nicely argued indeed.

Re: Guardian video on cyclists breaking the law

Posted: 10 May 2019, 11:49am
by Cugel
Hmmmmm.

We cyclists are, naturally, convinced of the argument. We alreay were before watching the video. But put yourself in the mind of the average motorist with no experience of cycling....

The video begins with numerous instances of badly-bahaved cyclists. Why? They are not the norm are they? Mr Motorist is already incened as he begins to watch - against those cyclists, not his poor motorist attitudes & behaviours.

We then get a delivery from a bloke that sounds like he's lecturing a class of 8 year olds. Mr Motorist will reject him as he has failed to adopt the Clarkson bit-of-a-lad mode, which is the preferred style of many of the car-bound these days, particularly those who offend against cyclists, pedestrians, horse riders and other motorists.

This is often the problem with The Guardian - a bit too much clever-us-talking down-to-childish-you. Of course, many motorists are very childish - infantile even. But they won't be convinced to change their behaviour by being told so in a condecendng fashion.

Cugel

Re: Guardian video on cyclists breaking the law

Posted: 10 May 2019, 12:04pm
by Des49
What a great, well balanced and watchable video.

Re: Guardian video on cyclists breaking the law

Posted: 10 May 2019, 1:31pm
by pjclinch
Cugel wrote:Hmmmmm.

We cyclists are, naturally, convinced of the argument. We alreay were before watching the video. But put yourself in the mind of the average motorist with no experience of cycling....

The video begins with numerous instances of badly-bahaved cyclists. Why? They are not the norm are they? Mr Motorist is already incened as he begins to watch - against those cyclists, not his poor motorist attitudes & behaviours.


If there was a definitive right way to do it everything would use the same method.

As far as a lot of people are concerned, the bad stuff is the norm, which is why there was felt to be a need for this in the first place. And if you start off saying there's not a problem you'll have lost the people you need to convince otherwise.

Cugel wrote:We then get a delivery from a bloke that sounds like he's lecturing a class of 8 year olds. Mr Motorist will reject him as he has failed to adopt the Clarkson bit-of-a-lad mode, which is the preferred style of many of the car-bound these days, particularly those who offend against cyclists, pedestrians, horse riders and other motorists.


It doesn't matter who is delivering the message to unreconstructed bampots, they'll still not take any notice. But I suspect there's a fair few who have picked up the cultural norm of cyclists = pains by accretion and they might be converted, especially if they're otherwise bearded sandal wearing lefty Grauniad-reading types.

Cugel wrote:This is often the problem with The Guardian - a bit too much clever-us-talking down-to-childish-you. Of course, many motorists are very childish - infantile even. But they won't be convinced to change their behaviour by being told so in a condecendng fashion.


No, they won't be convinced, end of.

Also, "for some values of condescending". Check out "Bike Nation", Peter Walker knows what he's on about.

Pete.

Re: Guardian video on cyclists breaking the law

Posted: 15 May 2019, 1:39am
by mercalia
cycling on pavements should be stopped in general. Too many youngish people on bikes wizz by weaving inbetween pedestrians as if it is a game at too high speed I think and scare me

Re: Guardian video on cyclists breaking the law

Posted: 15 May 2019, 8:31am
by mjr
mercalia wrote:cycling on pavements should be stopped in general. Too many youngish people on bikes wizz by weaving inbetween pedestrians as if it is a game at too high speed I think and scare me

Does it matter whether that's on pavement? Anyone weaving between pedestrians at speed needs dealing with, no matter where.

Re: Guardian video on cyclists breaking the law

Posted: 15 May 2019, 9:04am
by Cugel
mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote:cycling on pavements should be stopped in general. Too many youngish people on bikes wizz by weaving inbetween pedestrians as if it is a game at too high speed I think and scare me

Does it matter whether that's on pavement? Anyone weaving between pedestrians at speed needs dealing with, no matter where.


I once wove a pedestrian blanket but it wriggled too much when one was trying to get to sleep. Also, who should be the weft and who the warp? No one can agree.

Cugel

Re: Guardian video on cyclists breaking the law

Posted: 15 May 2019, 9:39am
by reohn2
I'll have pint of what Cugel's on :wink:

Re: Guardian video on cyclists breaking the law

Posted: 15 May 2019, 10:09am
by mercalia
mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote:cycling on pavements should be stopped in general. Too many youngish people on bikes wizz by weaving inbetween pedestrians as if it is a game at too high speed I think and scare me

Does it matter whether that's on pavement? Anyone weaving between pedestrians at speed needs dealing with, no matter where.


but its mainly pavements where the pedestrians are? I sometimes think what if i had moved slightly to the left/right when one of these so-and-sos come by.... it happens alot in Streatham High St where there are lots of pedestrians most of the day. There are even by laws with signs delclaring penalties but nothing is done about it.

Re: Guardian video on cyclists breaking the law

Posted: 15 May 2019, 11:35am
by mjr
mercalia wrote:
mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote:cycling on pavements should be stopped in general. Too many youngish people on bikes wizz by weaving inbetween pedestrians as if it is a game at too high speed I think and scare me

Does it matter whether that's on pavement? Anyone weaving between pedestrians at speed needs dealing with, no matter where.


but its mainly pavements where the pedestrians are?

And to hell with anyone who lives on a street without pavements, eh?

mercalia wrote:I sometimes think what if i had moved slightly to the left/right when one of these so-and-sos come by.... it happens alot in Streatham High St where there are lots of pedestrians most of the day. There are even by laws with signs delclaring penalties but nothing is done about it.

Like I wrote, anyone weaving between pedestrians at speed needs dealing with, no matter where. However, although it's anti-social, intimidating and risky, I suspect there are probably bigger dangers that our cut-to-the-bone police are prioritising and that's probably correct for now. Longer term, the answer is to stop cutting police.

Re: Guardian video on cyclists breaking the law

Posted: 15 May 2019, 12:14pm
by Cugel
reohn2 wrote:I'll have pint of what Cugel's on :wink:


It's the coffee. Some of them are "monsooned" which seems to mean they got wet then a fungus grew in them. Is that fungus a bit ergotty? Who can tell, except by drinking lots then seeing if you can remember the subsequent events. I never can. :-)

Cugel, well past the "substances" period of life now (except the legal ones, including queer coffees or boozings such as that psychedelic French beer).