Jokes about murder.

thirdcrank
Posts: 28648
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Jokes about murder.

Postby thirdcrank » 14 Jun 2019, 4:23pm

On the comedian theme. Let's imagine that this joke had been made by the late Bernard Manning. It wouldn't have changed the underlying nastiness, but nobody would have accused him of hypocrisy, but of being his own unpleasant self.

brynpoeth
Posts: 10108
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: 'Jokes' about murder.

Postby brynpoeth » 14 Jun 2019, 5:40pm

The slebs should raid the clean joke thread on here

The cops should visit anyone who makes 'jokes' about murder, violence etc and put the fear of God into them
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

thirdcrank
Posts: 28648
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Jokes about murder.

Postby thirdcrank » 15 Jun 2019, 6:40am

Jo Brand to face no action over acid joke, police say
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48640411

(I see the BBC has this in the entertainment/arts section of its website)

kwackers
Posts: 13075
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Jokes about murder.

Postby kwackers » 15 Jun 2019, 7:57am

thirdcrank wrote:Jo Brand to face no action over acid joke, police say
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48640411

(I see the BBC has this in the entertainment/arts section of its website)

Colour me unsurprised.

I'm no Brand fan but you'd need to have a fairly big axe to grind to think it was actually any sort of incitement.

I suspect from the police pov it was all a storm in a tea cup, a complaint they had a duty to investigate (at least superficially) which was stirred up by media and the profile of the people involved.

landsurfer
Posts: 4613
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Jokes about murder.

Postby landsurfer » 15 Jun 2019, 7:59am

kwackers wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:Jo Brand to face no action over acid joke, police say
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48640411

(I see the BBC has this in the entertainment/arts section of its website)

Colour me unsurprised.

I'm no Brand fan but you'd need to have a fairly big axe to grind to think it was actually any sort of incitement.

I suspect from the police pov it was all a storm in a tea cup, a complaint they had a duty to investigate (at least superficially) which was stirred up by media and the profile of the people involved.


I wonder what the reaction would have been if Farage had made the comment about Brand ... ?
Somewhat different i'll be bound ....... :roll:
“I’m responsible only for what I say, not what you understand.”

The Road Goes on Forever.

kwackers
Posts: 13075
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Jokes about murder.

Postby kwackers » 15 Jun 2019, 8:02am

landsurfer wrote:I wonder what the reaction would have been if Farage had made the comment about Brand ... ?
Somewhat different i'll be bound ....... :roll:

To be fair Farage is a better comedian than Brand can ever be.

landsurfer
Posts: 4613
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Jokes about murder.

Postby landsurfer » 15 Jun 2019, 8:13am

kwackers wrote:
landsurfer wrote:I wonder what the reaction would have been if Farage had made the comment about Brand ... ?
Somewhat different i'll be bound ....... :roll:

To be fair Farage is a better comedian than Brand can ever be.


+ 1 .... possibly for not the same reasons as you ... but still +1 ... :D
“I’m responsible only for what I say, not what you understand.”

The Road Goes on Forever.

brynpoeth
Posts: 10108
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: 'Jokes' about murder/violence

Postby brynpoeth » 15 Jun 2019, 8:19am

Trouble is, although many don't take jokes about violence seriously, or really laugh at them, but someone might do what such 'comedians' seem to be suggesting

I think such 'jokes' should be prohibited by law just like racist jokes are
Anyone agree?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

kwackers
Posts: 13075
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: 'Jokes' about murder/violence

Postby kwackers » 15 Jun 2019, 8:29am

brynpoeth wrote:Trouble is, although many don't take jokes about violence seriously, or really laugh at them, but someone might do what such 'comedians' seem to be suggesting

I think such 'jokes' should be prohibited by law just like racist jokes are
Anyone agree?

AFAIK racist jokes aren't illegal.

pete75
Posts: 11193
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Jokes about murder.

Postby pete75 » 15 Jun 2019, 8:38am

landsurfer wrote:
kwackers wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:Jo Brand to face no action over acid joke, police say
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48640411

(I see the BBC has this in the entertainment/arts section of its website)

Colour me unsurprised.

I'm no Brand fan but you'd need to have a fairly big axe to grind to think it was actually any sort of incitement.

I suspect from the police pov it was all a storm in a tea cup, a complaint they had a duty to investigate (at least superficially) which was stirred up by media and the profile of the people involved.


I wonder what the reaction would have been if Farage had made the comment about Brand ... ?
Somewhat different i'll be bound ....... :roll:


As it would have been if another politician had made the comment about Farage.

brynpoeth
Posts: 10108
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: 'Jokes' about murder/violence

Postby brynpoeth » 15 Jun 2019, 8:50am

kwackers wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:Trouble is, although many don't take jokes about violence seriously, or really laugh at them, but someone might do what such 'comedians' seem to be suggesting

I think such 'jokes' should be prohibited by law just like racist jokes are
Anyone agree?

AFAIK racist jokes aren't illegal.

Not tolerated? A few decades ago 'jokes' were made that would not be tolerated now, doubtless some 'comedians' got into trouble
..
harmless favourite by Bob Monkhouse:
'When I was a lad I told people I wanted to be a comedian, they laughed at me. They are not laughing now' :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

thirdcrank
Posts: 28648
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Jokes about murder.

Postby thirdcrank » 15 Jun 2019, 9:00am

kwackers wrote: ... I'm no Brand fan but you'd need to have a fairly big axe to grind to think it was actually any sort of incitement.

I suspect from the police pov it was all a storm in a tea cup, a complaint they had a duty to investigate (at least superficially) which was stirred up by media and the profile of the people involved.


I for one think the police have better things to do with their time - like discouraging drivers from killing and injuring people - but I fancy JB's ... er ... target audience, would have got very uptight if somebody not on their approved list had come out with it.

Anyway, it's reported she's apologised and I'm happy to believe it's sincere, rather than just a damage limitation exercise. We'll know that from her future comments in front of an audience of supporters.

kwackers
Posts: 13075
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: 'Jokes' about murder/violence

Postby kwackers » 15 Jun 2019, 9:08am

brynpoeth wrote:Not tolerated? A few decades ago 'jokes' were made that would not be tolerated now, doubtless some 'comedians' got into trouble

"Less tolerated" might be a better phrase.

As I said up thread, she should have kept it back for her stage show, ime of such shows almost anything goes - although if you're at such a show you presumably know what you're going to get.

pwa
Posts: 9604
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Jokes about murder.

Postby pwa » 15 Jun 2019, 9:27am

Re JB:

thirdcrank wrote:Anyway, it's reported she's apologised and I'm happy to believe it's sincere, rather than just a damage limitation exercise.


Me too. I wanted and expected her to apologise for a clumsy ill-considered joke and she has done just that, and I don't think anyone would think of her as someone who would condone attacks on politicians, not even politicians one doesn't approve of. I have made ill-considered bad taste jokes in the past and wished I could reel them back in almost as soon as I said them. That is where this joke came from. For me her apology and regret bring the story to a close.

cbman65
Posts: 10
Joined: 1 Aug 2011, 10:04pm

Re: Jokes about murder.

Postby cbman65 » 24 Jun 2019, 9:10pm

pete75 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
kwackers wrote:Colour me unsurprised.

I'm no Brand fan but you'd need to have a fairly big axe to grind to think it was actually any sort of incitement.

I suspect from the police pov it was all a storm in a tea cup, a complaint they had a duty to investigate (at least superficially) which was stirred up by media and the profile of the people involved.


I wonder what the reaction would have been if Farage had made the comment about Brand ... ?
Somewhat different i'll be bound ....... :roll:


As it would have been if another politician had made the comment about Farage.


Of course if someone Farage approved of had said this, his response would have been something along the line of ...it's just banter, hasn't anyone on the left got a sense of humour, it's political correctness gone mad...