Cycling infrastructure good & bad

661-Pete

Re: Cycling infrastructure good & bad

Post by 661-Pete »

Mike Sales wrote:That is horrible. Plainly designed to set you up for a close squeeze.
Needless to say I ignore the paintwork. If at all possible, I pass bollards like that in primary position. As every safety-conscious cyclist should...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vorpal

Re: Cycling infrastructure (bike lanes are a waste of money)

Post by Vorpal »

mercalia wrote:you've got to laugh?

I imagine the second one is designed to help prevent motorists from hitting the buildings, rather than any provision for cyclists. I think that the bollard is evidence that it has happened previously.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
JohnPit

Post by JohnPit »

They have opened a nice new cycle route in South Birmingham (along the A38 Bristol Road).
Some of it is along the wide central reservation which used to be for trams.
For some reason this 2Km stretch is: "out of use during hours of darkness".
(There are about 20 signs, like this one along it).
[img]
Cycle%202.jpg
[/img]
There is street lighting along the road.
There are lamp posts along the cycle lane which aren't yet working.
The parallel River Rea route, about 1Km away, is very dark yet it can be used at night (I do).
Why do they want cyclists to ride in the road at night instead of the much safer cycle path?
(This is my first post here - I hope I have got it right).
Attachments
Cycle 2.jpg
Last edited by JohnPit on 19 Jun 2019, 9:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PushBikes or the council may know - you could try asking them?

PushBikes seem to like the lanes: http://www.pushbikes.org.uk/content/a34 ... eways-open

Cyclists in the local press don't seem happy with the lack of enforcement to keep them clear: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... s-16406245
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I suspect arse-covering until the lighting has been "activated". The Staple Hill tunnel on the Bristol-Bath path was faulty back in around 2012 and the signs warning of broken lighting are still up.
horizon

Post by horizon »

JohnPit wrote:They have opened a nice new cycle route in South Birmingham (along the A30 Bristol Road).

(This is my first post here - I hope I have got it right).

But don't let that put you off! :D Welcome to the forum!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A38? :wink:
Might be very unpleasant at night, one would be dazzled by vehicle lights
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Presumably the trees would go some way to blocking dazzle and if the lighting was working, it wouldn't be a factor anyway.
mjr

Post by mjr »

If it is about lighting and dazzle, I'm not sure why this one has to be closed when there are plenty of two-way cycleways alongside unlit roads where anyone riding one way is getting the upsweep side of the lights of motorists going the other way. At least being in the middle, they're on the dip side of both directions of motorists.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.