Sheffield magazine under fire after call to 'razor wire' cyclists

mercalia

Sheffield magazine under fire after call to 'razor wire' cyclists

Postby mercalia » 19 Jun 2019, 5:59am

The editorial in Grapevine magazine, which is delivered free to 23,000 houses in Sheffield each month, recounted a conversation between the editor, Ian Macgill, and an “old chum” in which the latter said pavement cyclists needed to be “taught a lesson” using wire at head height.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... e-cyclists

Charming :roll:

brynpoeth

Re: Sheffield magazine under fire after call to 'razor wire' cyclists

Postby brynpoeth » 19 Jun 2019, 6:01am

Hate crime, call the cops!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 19 Jun 2019, 9:10am

I've just sent a message to South Yorkshire Police Commissioner, maybe a few more could spur some action?

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 19 Jun 2019, 12:57pm

That's horrible! Memories of Matthew Parris and his infamous Times article* of some years back. To do him credit, at least Parris apologised and seemed to show remorse.

One one occasion wire was strung up across a residential road in our town - apparently during the night. The first vehicle to pass that way in the morning (a car, luckily not a cyclist) happened to be a police car. The story was in the local paper. The wire damaged the car, and a gatepost to which it was tied was ripped out - but fortunately there were no injuries. I don't think the culprits were ever caught.

That could have been a 'copycat' offence after the Parris article appeared.

*behind the paywall - but you can see enough of the article without being registered.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

ianloasby

Postby ianloasby » 19 Jun 2019, 2:08pm

Article about this on the keeper of the Peak

https://kofthep.com/2019/06/16/i-heard- ... ry-marvin/

Therein lies a handy list of companies who might be persuaded to withdraw their adverts, particularly those involved with outdoor activities in the Sheffield and Derbyshire area. For those who don't know Sheffield, this magazine is delivered to what they describe as the affluent south-west of the city, which just happens to be an area that many of the more well-heeled cyclists live, not least as its bang next to some great trails.
Last edited by Graham on 19 Jun 2019, 2:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Copied advertiser list removed

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 19 Jun 2019, 3:03pm

A student and member of the local rowing club got injured after anglers strung up strong fishing line across the river Lune with hooks dangling on lines attached to the main line at head height for rowers.

Police investigated but the police officer investigating was a member of the angling club the culprits came from. Believed to be drinking buddies. Complaints made against the police, senior officer apologised and nothing happened. That's despite locals knowing who did it. They weren't exactly discrete, boasting about it in the club bar and other places.

That was on the back of the angling club going back on agreements made between various river users and sending threatening solicitor letters to clubs such as local scout group and rowing club (apparently the 4th oldest rowing club in the country dating back to Elizabethan times iirc). The letters had no legal grounding so were mostly ignored. Then the lines incident.

All in all these are all just thugs who deserve locking up.

brooksby

Postby brooksby » 19 Jun 2019, 3:06pm

661-Pete wrote:To do him credit, at least Parris apologised and seemed to show remorse.

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression he'd called "Satire!" on it and claimed it was supposed to be amusing, without actually apologising at all...

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 19 Jun 2019, 7:54pm

brooksby wrote:
661-Pete wrote:To do him credit, at least Parris apologised and seemed to show remorse.

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression he'd called "Satire!" on it and claimed it was supposed to be amusing, without actually apologising at all...

I think he published more than one such article, read about it on these fora I think :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 20 Jun 2019, 11:36am

brooksby wrote:

All right. Maybe I should have stressed the word "seemed".

But it's not really about what the man thinks, inside his head - after all he may still hate cyclists, personally. It's the impression he gives to his readership, the message he sends out to them, that really matters. If even a few Times readers now come to realise that cyclists are not a sort of non-human out-group, a community deserving to be victimised, then he'll have done the right thing.

Alas! this Grapevine geezer appears to have done nothing of the sort.... :evil:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

ianloasby

Postby ianloasby » 20 Jun 2019, 12:21pm

Update from KOP

Otto’s Restaurant have who asked for the editorial to be pulled and for an apology to all involved.
S11 Carpets and Flooring who are removing adverts until an apology is made.

Sheffield Window Centre are taking it very seriously and are in discussions with directors on how to proceed. Tweeted

"In light of the article published in Grapevine magazine our directors are currently in discussions about our future advertising with them. With a number of cyclists amongst our family and staff we are appalled by the comments made and are taking this very seriously."

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Jun 2019, 3:14pm

Ian MacGill = barsteward of the first order.
Here's hoping he loses his job for it :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 20 Jun 2019, 3:52pm

I wonder if his car is one of the many illegally parked or obstructing the pavement outside of the Magazine’s premises

Perhaps garrotting or blowing up some of these would be a subject for an editorial?

brooksby

Postby brooksby » 20 Jun 2019, 4:16pm

ianloasby wrote:Update from KOP

Otto’s Restaurant have who asked for the editorial to be pulled and for an apology to all involved.
S11 Carpets and Flooring who are removing adverts until an apology is made.

Sheffield Window Centre are taking it very seriously and are in discussions with directors on how to proceed. Tweeted

"In light of the article published in Grapevine magazine our directors are currently in discussions about our future advertising with them. With a number of cyclists amongst our family and staff we are appalled by the comments made and are taking this very seriously."

Wow. Result :shock:

pga

Postby pga » 23 Jun 2019, 10:11pm

Amazing I had not heard of that but of course it is perfectly acceptable for the media to attack cyclists. Whereas Jo Brand was taken apart by her ill judged attack on Farage.

Sadly cyclists have become the only group in English society that it still permitted to openly attack in the media and on the roads.

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 24 Jun 2019, 12:01pm

pga wrote:Sadly cyclists have become the only group in English society that it still permitted to openly attack in the media and on the roads.

There is a natural desire amongst a noisy minority of humanity to put down "out groups" (I think this is the current sociological term).

insults on grounds of race, sexuality etc are now illegal, so these pathetic people have had to move down to the next target on the list. Personally I think it should still fall under hate crime.