Motorway closes Cambridge-Histon Cycleway from Sat!

mjr

Motorway closes Cambridge-Histon Cycleway from Sat!

Post by mjr »

Another act of utter vandalism against cycling by Highways England: less than a weekˋs notice on-site, a relatively long and hazardous diversion, and all to prioritise more tarmac for the quasi-motorway that crosses above it! :evil: Read more and who to email at https://www.camcycle.org.uk/blog/2019/06/busway-cycleway-closed-for-8-weeks-this-summer-beginning-this-weekend/
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ivor Tingting

Re: Motorway closes Cambridge-Histon Cycleway from Sat!

Post by Ivor Tingting »

No it's not. It's hardly that long, onerous or dangerous. The only part you will have to ride on the road is from the Histon GBW junction south along the old part of the Cambridge Road (or north to the junction depending which direction you are travelling) down toward the Histon interchange junction 32 of the A14. You cross onto Bridge Road (the B1049) from the old Cambridge Road just north of junction 32 but onto a wide pavement which permits cycling. Arguably the only inconvenience will be having to stop at the several sets of traffic lights at the slip roads of junction 32 of the A14. I guess in peak times queues might develop, but you could always cycle on the road if you feel it would be quicker. Once you have passed through junction 32 you are riding on a nice wide pavement which takes you on to NCN51which runs adjacent to Kings Hedges Road and back round to join the GBW again adjacent to Cambridge Regional College and close to where works will be going on to widen the A14 which will be closed off. I guess it will be the same for buses as well.

There is absolutely no point in writing to councillors, MPs or Highways England about the temporary closure of the GBW as the diversion route is probably the safest route in the circumstances. I suppose you could complain about the length of time the closure will be in force but it is my guess contractors will be under pressure to complete the works more quickly than anticipated meaning the proposed closed section of the GBW could be open a lot earlier than planned. The period for the longer closure from July, August, start of September coincides with school summer holidays. In any case widening of the A14 has been a huge project and the sooner it is completed the better imho. I suppose if you feel that aggrieved you could try and cycle along the A14 itself from the Histon interchange junction 32 towards the Milton Interchange junction 33 then down the Milton Road into Cambridge but I wouldn't recommend this.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Ivor Tingting wrote:No it's not. It's hardly that long, onerous or dangerous.

That doesn't contradict what I wrote because it is still relatively long and hazardous, being three times longer (in time) and having many many more road crossings and poor surfaces than the closed route.

Arguably the only inconvenience will be having to stop at the several sets of traffic lights at the slip roads of junction 32 of the A14.

Go on then, argue it: why aren't the crossings of Histon Road, Chariot Way and the pig's ear by the regional college also inconveniences? Why isn't climbing up to the A14 and back down inconvenient compared to the closed cycleway?

There is absolutely no point in writing to councillors, MPs or Highways England about the temporary closure of the GBW as the diversion route is probably the safest route in the circumstances. I suppose you could complain about the length of time the closure will be in force but it is my guess contractors will be under pressure to complete the works more quickly than anticipated meaning the proposed closed section of the GBW could be open a lot earlier than planned.

There is a point, to complain about the lack of notice and the pathetic unsigned diversion, as well as to point out that they say they're all in favour of reducing air pollution and improving public health but their actions are consistently contradicting that. A safer diversion would be temporary cycleways around the northern edge of the work site from the next bridge east (Mere Way, I think it may be) - closing a mile of cycleway for weeks on end because they won't put down 200m or so of panels seems pathetic.

Would they do this to motorists? When was the last time the A14 was diverted along farm roads and forest tracks with a week's notice? Cyclists are too damned placid and nice for our own good!

I suppose if you feel that aggrieved you could try and cycle along the A14 itself from the Histon interchange junction 32 towards the Milton Interchange junction 33 then down the Milton Road into Cambridge but I wouldn't recommend this.

Yeah, the A14 is a motorway in all but name and alternative provision. If Camcycle or someone organises a Right To Ride mass ride then I may well do that, but otherwise, no way.
Last edited by mjr on 20 Jun 2019, 10:04pm, edited 4 times in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Typical crud from HE, the sad thing is that this is allowed at all with next to zero noticed, never mind not having to consider the safety impact n vulnerable road users.
Last edited by Graham on 23 Jun 2019, 1:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pointless emotional insult removed.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

mjr wrote:
Ivor Tingting wrote:No it's not. It's hardly that long, onerous or dangerous.

That doesn't contradict what I wrote because it is still relatively long and hazardous, being three times longer (in time) and having many many more road crossings and poor surfaces than the closed route.

Arguably the only inconvenience will be having to stop at the several sets of traffic lights at the slip roads of junction 32 of the A14.

Go on then, argue it: why aren't the crossings of Histon Road, Chariot Way and the pig's ear by the regional college also inconveniences? Why isn't climbing up to the A14 and back down inconvenient compared to the closed cycleway?

There is absolutely no point in writing to councillors, MPs or Highways England about the temporary closure of the GBW as the diversion route is probably the safest route in the circumstances. I suppose you could complain about the length of time the closure will be in force but it is my guess contractors will be under pressure to complete the works more quickly than anticipated meaning the proposed closed section of the GBW could be open a lot earlier than planned.

There is a point, to complain about the lack of notice and the pathetic unsigned diversion, as well as to point out that they say they're all in favour of reducing air pollution and improving public health but their actions are consistently contradicting that. A safer diversion would be temporary cycleways around the northern edge of the work site from the next bridge east (Mere Way, I think it may be) - closing a mile of cycleway for weeks on end because they won't put down 200m or so of panels seems pathetic.

Would they do this to motorists? When was the last time the A14 was diverted along farm roads and forest tracks with a week's notice? Cyclists are too damned placid and nice for our own good!

I suppose if you feel that aggrieved you could try and cycle along the A14 itself from the Histon interchange junction 32 towards the Milton Interchange junction 33 then down the Milton Road into Cambridge but I wouldn't recommend this.

Yeah, the A14 is a motorway in all but name and alternative provision. If Camcycle or someone organises a Right To Ride mass ride then I may well do that, but otherwise, no way.

I'm not going to engage with you any further suffice to say this is the type of attitude and approach that gets cycling and cyclists a bad name. I ride the GBW pretty much every day along the section that will be closed. Yes it will be irritating and take marginally longer but in the scheme of things it's as I have already stated not that onerous, not much longer, probably about 1-1.5 miles, nor dangerous and certainly not worth starting a crusade about. I concede the local authority and Highways England might have given a lot more notice but in the end does it achieve much by being so confrontational and hostile? There are more important battles to fight.
Last edited by John1054 on 21 Jun 2019, 8:28am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of unnecessary provocation
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I think "the type of attitude and approach that gets cycling and cyclists a bad name" is the one which just meekly accepts whatever punishment the motorists are willing to mete out, dismissing a tripling of the time and doubling of the distance between Histon and the regional college as "marginally longer", always saying "There are more important battles to fight" and everything is "not worth starting a crusade about".

What a hostile and confrontational reaction will achieve is make it memorable for those who have to deal with the complaints, hopefully making those involved with this injustice think twice before they do similar again. There is almost nothing to lose: the situation is not likely to get much worse than total closure for weeks on end, is it? Elsewhere, Highways England just fail to provide anything, such as Mildenhall-Elveden, the new Huntingdon bypass bypass (or is it bypass bypass bypass? I forget) or what they're now building Cambridge-Huntingdon. Whatever softly-softly approach you've been doing isn't working. I think confront is worth a try, instead of keeping on retreating.
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

The Cranebridgeshire misguided busway has a very successful cycle/walk way beside it which was originally built as a maintenance track. The authorities could not find a good reason to stop this being used by cyclists and walkers. The track is almost good enough to be called a Greenway.

It is especially nice to see cycling/pedestrian children, mothers, and hand-cyclists using this Greenway route.

Unfortunately Cranebridgeshire CC has not passed any resolutions to prioritise active travel (however Oxfordshire CC has done this).

South of Cranebridge this means that the Greenway has recently been severed by road with occasional buses and cars even though the lights could detect the presence of traffic and give default green light to the Greenway.

North of Cranebridge is the new blocking of the Greenway by Motor-Vehicles-England (aka HE). Strange how Motor-Vehicles-England is able to drill a nearby 900mm tunnel under the A14 for electricity cable ducting in a few days (see near A14 bridge near science park) but unable to drill alternative access under the A14 for the Greenway route.

It is true that complaints to Councillors / MPs etc will do nothing. Until we get them to prioritise active travel then I guess that children / mothers/ and handcyclists are just going to be chucked under the mis-guided buses (see the recent accident involving a child cyclist and bus).
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

mjr wrote:I think "the type of attitude and approach that gets cycling and cyclists a bad name" is the one which just meekly accepts whatever punishment the motorists are willing to mete out, dismissing a tripling of the time and doubling of the distance between Histon and the regional college as "marginally longer", always saying "There are more important battles to fight" and everything is "not worth starting a crusade about".

What a hostile and confrontational reaction will achieve is make it memorable for those who have to deal with the complaints, hopefully making those involved with this injustice think twice before they do similar again. There is almost nothing to lose: the situation is not likely to get much worse than total closure for weeks on end, is it? Elsewhere, Highways England just fail to provide anything, such as Mildenhall-Elveden, the new Huntingdon bypass bypass (or is it bypass bypass bypass? I forget) or what they're now building Cambridge-Huntingdon. Whatever softly-softly approach you've been doing isn't working. I think confront is worth a try, instead of keeping on retreating.

Could not agree more.

Always accepting the garbage thrown at us and not understanding why it increases the danger to vulnerable road users not to mention hugely inconvenience them is detrimental to cycling as a whole. Fighting back against this continual and increasing danger is IMO the correct attitude/stance and is worthwhile for many people (clearly not others).

If one does not protest then it will always go on and on and on, never improve only get worse and if there is an injury or a death, or almost as bad, people give up cycling because it's even less safe than it already is then the "the type of attitude and approach that gets cycling a bad name" comments made just looks very much out of place and out of touch with regards to safety of human beings and active travel as a whole.
Last edited by The utility cyclist on 23 Jun 2019, 1:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

mjr wrote:I think "the type of attitude and approach that gets cycling and cyclists a bad name" is the one which just meekly accepts whatever punishment the motorists are willing to mete out, dismissing a tripling of the time and doubling of the distance between Histon and the regional college as "marginally longer", always saying "There are more important battles to fight" and everything is "not worth starting a crusade about".

I rode the diversion alternative route twice yesterday, once in each direction and I shall be riding it again later today. There is only 1/3 of a mile that you have to ride on the road and it is along the quiet old Cambridge road south of Histon to just north of junction 32 of the A14. It is perfectly safe riding mostly on the wide protected NCN51 which is totally separate from traffic running along side the GBW along Kings Hedges road. The diversion added 5 minutes to my journey and this wasn't even pedalling hard.
Last edited by Graham on 24 Jun 2019, 8:52am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: OK
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I should like to read other different opinions from people who know the area please
I cycle through town to work, it is slow and tedious, lots of junctions and lights
Small changes can make big differences
How many minutes does the change cost?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I should like to read other different opinions from people who know the area please
I cycle through town to work, it is slow and tedious, lots of junctions and lights
Small changes can make big differences
How many minutes does the change cost?

Whats wrong with my opinion? I know the area well and ride this route 5 days a week sometimes 6. I rode this route yesterday twice and this morning. I shall be riding it home later. Seriously it is not that big a deal. As I say it added 5 minutes to my journey yesterday. I would say 10 minutes worst case scenario if it were busy. It really is straightforward nothing to worry about.

HTH.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Your opinion is as good as anyones, mjr disagrees, maybe both are right, I would like more, other opinions (used to know Cambridge well)

My cycle to work is slow, takes 50 minutes already, another ten minutes each way would be 1h40 a week, seems a lot, if the folding bridge holds me up, Plus 12 minutes more %(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Your opinion is as good as anyones, mjr disagrees, maybe both are right, I would like more, other opinions (used to know Cambridge well)

My cycle to work is slow, takes 50 minutes already, another ten minutes each way would be 1h40 a week, seems a lot, if the folding bridge holds me up, Plus 12 minutes more %(

I am sorry but a simple thanks for replying trying to help you would be nice. It would appear MJR hasn't even ridden this diversion!!! He's submitted nothing to indicate he has. Where as I HAVE ridden it. I seem to be the only who has posted here that has. But if you want to believe MJR go right ahead as opposed to some one who has first hand experience. Strange that I am painted as a bad guy. The nastiness of the internet!

Seriously you will be fine. Btw my journey is 1hr 15 minutes. You could always go by car, but I suspect that would take even longer. You would then have the problem of parking.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I have ridden the Kings Hedges diversion. And I rode the alternative Milton diversion again yesterday for comparison.

If you can do either diversion within 5 minutes of the simple busway route, you must get lucky with the lights and sprint back up to speed fast. (Anc the Milton one is impossible to do that quick IMO.)

And I know that the busway cycleway is NCR 51 these days. And that only the Milton Road end of the new style cycleways on Green End Road has its red top surface on yet with the rest of the northbound side being patchy and the southbound partly fenced off.

Now, who knows the area and who's using old maps off the internet? :P
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Cranebridge news is now covering this issue:
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... e-16474414

Able bodied riders may like to consider how easy this route would be if for example they were in a handcycle or physically not able to stretch out an arm to press the nanny button that allows you to cross the road.

There is a very good reason that we see many children, mothers, and handcyclists using the mis-guided busway. It is actually quite good, whereas road cycling around Cambridge is highly dangerous for vulnerable cyclists. The main reason being that the cycle paths are not connected up and resources are not being spent to provide complete segregation at road junctions or to cross roads which is where most accidents with cyclists occur.

If they can tunnel under the whole of Cranebridge to spend billions building a metro then they can sure tunnel under the A14 to provide an alternative Greenway routes. It is not unreasonable to have a few underpasses here and there at a fraction of the cost of the metro.