Glastonbury - no single-use plastics? You must be joking!

Tangled Metal

Re: Glastonbury - no single-use plastics? You must be joking!

Post by Tangled Metal »

What is folk music? Blues has it's origins from slavery and those folks. It's that a type of folk music? What about some of the African music developed from traditional music forms, are they folk? Or is it white person's, stuck in the past music?

Personally I like it but don't know how it's defined. It seems to be less defined than day rock or blues or jazz (various styles of) to me.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Bonefishblues wrote:
kwackers wrote:The problem with folk is that they think everyone else's misdemeanours are the issue and not their own.
Bit like drivers really - but ecologically biased.

Other music genres are to blame too. I'm sick of folk being pilloried in that way.

:lol:
horizon

Post by horizon »

horizon wrote:Glastonbury's plastics and tents problem sickens me as do the people who attend and create it. Sorry, but they really do disgust me.

I'll take that back. I think the people who attend are delightful (except maybe for the little local difficulty with the "convoys" back in the late eighties). They are a bit blind to what they are doing but I think Glastonbury attracts a lot of very open-hearted types. (I blame the parents who might have been the type to tidy up after their children. :wink:)

So, here's hoping that they take on board their share of responsibility for dealing with plastic waste and especially their tents. Glastonbury is famous: it's British, iconic and watched by the world. For this reason it has to be the best, a shining example and the festival-goers need to make it that. Then I too can support it 100%.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Speaking for bands and artists who arent in the top tier, there would be much less live music around if it werent for festivals, its practically their only source of income these days. Much of the fees go on flights, tour buses and crew anyway. Dont knock festivals, they can be fun.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

We'll have none of that talk about fun round here thank you very much!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

al_yrpal wrote:Speaking for bands and artists who arent in the top tier, there would be much less live music around if it werent for festivals, its practically their only source of income these days. Much of the fees go on flights, tour buses and crew anyway. Dont knock festivals, they can be fun.

Al

ooh, we have a celeb amongst us! Which rubbish wannabes do you perform with Al??

;- ) x
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

My heart sank when I saw those pictures of the aftermath :( . 1300 people involved in litter-picking apparently.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Spinners wrote:My heart sank when I saw those pictures of the aftermath :( . 1300 people involved in litter-picking apparently.

On our local summer fete I reckon litter pickers vs revellers has a ratio nearer 1:1 so 1300 litter pickers for that many people is a win win!

If you really want your heart to sink it's when a whole family enjoy the fete with a nice picnic in the middle of the 'green' then up sticks and simply walk away leaving all their rubbish despite being just feet from one of the generous number of extra bins brought in.
I'm tempted to leave it and then when someone is looking for a "nice spot" it'll simply be one with a big enough hole in the litter for them to sit in.

In contrast I can forgive drunken revellers, buried in the middle of the thronging masses whose heads are elsewhere.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

kwackers wrote:
Spinners wrote:My heart sank when I saw those pictures of the aftermath :( . 1300 people involved in litter-picking apparently.

If you really want your heart to sink it's when a whole family enjoy the fete with a nice picnic in the middle of the 'green' then up sticks and simply walk away leaving all their rubbish despite being just feet from one of the generous number of extra bins brought in.

Another one is at McDonalds where Mr. Boy Racer goes through the drive-thru, parks in the car park, consumes meal/drink and then opens their door to place their rubbish on the floor before driving off :(
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

An article on the environmental hazards of dumping a tent: https://theconversation.com/the-environ ... val-120198
99.3% of tents were taken away by owners at the end of Glasto, other festivals don't do so well.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Bmblbzzz wrote:An article on the environmental hazards of dumping a tent: https://theconversation.com/the-environ ... val-120198
99.3% of tents were taken away by owners at the end of Glasto, other festivals don't do so well.

Thanks for that - it's great news, if not quite flabbergasting. :P

Emily Eavis wrote:
Just heard that 99.3% of all tents were taken home. That is absolutely incredible… HUGE thanks to the record numbers who loved the farm and left no trace! #Glastonbury2019
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

1300 litter pickers for 175000 revellers. That's 1:135 ratio. More efficient than your fete tidy up team or your fete was more of a tip at the end! :D
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Tangled Metal wrote:1300 litter pickers for 175000 revellers. That's 1:135 ratio. More efficient than your fete tidy up team or your fete was more of a tip at the end! :D

Funnily enough, not quite as efficient as our ferret racing evening (village life eh?) last Friday - and if you give people bags they will bag it up for themselves, too :D
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

horizon wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:An article on the environmental hazards of dumping a tent: https://theconversation.com/the-environ ... val-120198

Emily Eavis wrote:
Just heard that 99.3% of all tents were taken home. That is absolutely incredible… HUGE thanks to the record numbers who loved the farm and left no trace! #Glastonbury2019

By my calculations that means that between 500 and 1000 tents were abandoned and that's considered good?

Greenbelt festival, as I mentioned earlier 100.00% of tents taken home and 0 litter pickers required - there was no litter!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Stradageek wrote:
horizon wrote:

Emily Eavis wrote:

By my calculations that means that between 500 and 1000 tents were abandoned and that's considered good?

Greenbelt festival, as I mentioned earlier 100.00% of tents taken home and 0 litter pickers required - there was no litter!

That's considered a huge improvement I'd suggest, and if one focuses on the positive, then that's demonstrably more effective in changing behaviour. Perhaps one day it will be the equal of a festival such as Greenbelt.