Hatred against Cyclists

Oldjohnw

Re: Hatred against Cyclists

Post by Oldjohnw »

Motoring is becoming increasingly antisocial. The worm turns. Meanwhile, I'm not going to waste energy on hating motorists.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

When is the clickbait TV programme on? I might have fun doing an anti cyclists bingo game. Create boards for me and my partner with the common phrases. Whoever loses gets the dishes for a week.

Cyclists don't pay for the roads.
Cyclists aren't insured
Cyclists shouldn't be on the roads
Cyclists all jump red lights
They think they own the road
They should have a number plate so they can be identified
A rather distasteful comment about harming a cyclist that I self edited out but I reckon someone will make such a comment for the programme which might make it or get edited out.

I'm sure you guys (word used in a non gender specific way) can think of more.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Someone should write a TV play about cyclists vs motorists conflict type programme. Following the making of the programme and the key protagonists. Start with the heated part of the argument then flashback to what created the conflict as seen from each sides POV and that of the programme makers. It might be used to affect change in people's views.

The optimism in this one is strong! (star wars type comment).
reohn2

Re: When, exactly, did cycling become anti-social?

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:When did headlines and TV programs start to have this type of subject?

I'm not sure that has much to do with cycling. TV has become increasingly nasty, I stopped watching over a decade ago, people seem to like seeing others humiliated and attacked, there's a whole industry based on nothing but that.

Inthink you're right about elements of TV,such programs as the soaps,Jeremy Kyle are the dross spewed out by TV to eagerly waiting couch potatoes,and I can't help thinking the educational tool that TV could be is swept aside far too much for such dross.
That said,there's still some good documentaries and other programs to watch and educate,I won't pass judgement on the program in question until I've watched it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:Motoring is becoming increasingly antisocial.

Only for a small minority of the population,the rest seem to be hell bent on buying ever bigger vehicles :?

Meanwhile, I'm not going to waste energy on hating motorists.

Nor me,and I reassure myself that the loonies are still a very small minority,
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

flat tyre wrote:Well, I won't bother watching it. I'll go for a nice bike ride and come home, listen to some Bach and enjoy a glass of wine.

Excellent idea.

It would be lovely to make an occasion out of it; get as many peeps as possible to go out on their bikes that evening, then relax at home doing something more productive.

#Say-No-To-ClickbaitTV - do something more enjoyable instead!
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

mattheus wrote:Excellent idea.

It would be lovely to make an occasion out of it; get as many peeps as possible to go out on their bikes that evening, then relax at home doing something more productive.

Maybe we could start a campaign, with a catchy slogan along the lines of "Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go Out and Do Something Less Boring Instead?" :lol:
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

It's funny you should mention Why Don't You ...?

wasn't there a TV advert that stole the slogan a few weeks ago? I only saw it twice. I think they'd changed the wording slightly to support their product - which was something daft like a car or a smartphone?!
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Ooh, must have missed that one. Shame the best ads tend to be for the most pointless products.
--Ole Boot
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote:It's funny you should mention Why Don't You ...?

wasn't there a TV advert that stole the slogan a few weeks ago? I only saw it twice. I think they'd changed the wording slightly to support their product - which was something daft like a car or a smartphone?!

Ah! So you do watch TV then :wink:
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattheus wrote:It's funny you should mention Why Don't You ...?

It was on the radio too. It was something like "look up from your phone" instead of "switch off your TV".

I'll not be watching either, for various reasons. I hope someone will let us know what's in it.

I've told www.twitter.com/channel5_tv that not only will I not be watching, I won't watch any of their network for a month. I was enjoying a couple of imported dramas from Canada and USA, but it won't be a great loss because ITV4's Tour coverage could take all the time I want to spend watching TV in July and then some.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Pastychomper wrote:
mattheus wrote:Excellent idea.

Maybe we could start a campaign, with a catchy slogan along the lines of "Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go Out and Do Something Less Boring Instead?" :lol:

Showing your age there, mid 40s by any chance?
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I've written to Ch5 to desist from broadcasting on the basis that it breaches the OFCOM code in at least two sections, I've cc'd in the head of OFCOM and also Jeremy Wright the secretary of state for Media, Culture etc etc.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Tangled Metal wrote:Showing your age there, mid 40s by any chance?

:oops: Pretty good... 41 :)
--Ole Boot
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

The utility cyclist wrote:I've written to Ch5 to desist from broadcasting on the basis that it breaches the OFCOM code in at least two sections, I've cc'd in the head of OFCOM and also Jeremy Wright the secretary of state for Media, Culture etc etc.

What codes does it breach - I've looked and (without having seen the programme), I can't see any references to "headline, title or similar"?