Hatred against Cyclists

fastpedaller

Hatred against Cyclists

Post by fastpedaller »

Via Planet X I have been alerted to a 'documentary' next Tuesday Channel 5 at 9:15 pm entitled "Cyclist: Scourge Of The Streets"
Details of the content don't appear to be available, but the title indicates it's not going to show cyclists in a good light.
I'm still awaiting any response from South Yorkshire Police regarding the 'hate the cyclist journalist'. I suggest we send any complaints regarding the Channel 5 feature to all the Police Commissioners we are able to, if we consider it appropriate for us to take action.
FP
toontra

Re: Hatred against Cyclists

Post by toontra »

A pedestrian walked out right in front of me the other day on a busy north London street. He raised his arms to protect himself, pushing me into the back of a car and onto the ground. I was only going about 8mph so no lasting damage to him, me or bike. So far so bad.

What happened next was truly shocking. A crowd formed - other pedestrians, car drivers, taxi drivers, etc. They all started berating ME - shouting, swearing, calling cyclists every name under the sun. None of them had seen the incident and weren't actually interested who was to blame. They just wanted to vent their anger at a cyclist. At one point I was actually in fear of my safety. The situation was only diffused after about 20 minutes with the help of another cyclist who bothered to stop and stick up for me.

I now realise that there is a huge swell of public hatred towards cyclists. Why? I have absolutely no idea.
Last edited by toontra on 4 Jul 2019, 10:10am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

A fairly obvious thought is provoked. Has there ever been a Motorists : Scourge of the Streets equivalent documentary?
We are always seen and depicted from behind the windscreen.
A documentary might show how the streams of motor traffic impinge on cyclists and pedestrians. It could show how we have to adapt our behaviour in major ways to stay safe.
It would make clear the large number of deaths and maimings which are the cost of motorised traffic.
The air pollution health costs should be detailed.
Shots showing streets given over almost completely to accommodating traffic and parking could be filmed almost anywhere.
Urban dual carriageways cutting up towns and cities which are a major obstacle to walking or cycling could be pointed out.
Added later, reminded by the fox thread. The slaughter of wildlife by traffic is not given much mention. I often see squashed carcasses. Owls and other birds. Foxes. Badgers. This is easily missed at motor speed, but we see (and smell) this cost of motoring.

All these costs are known, and not kept secret, but I feel that a strong case could be made that motor traffic is the real scourge by focussing on them in the way this documentary looks like doing for cyclists.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fastpedaller wrote:Via Planet X I have been alerted to a 'documentary' next Tuesday Channel 5 at 9:15 pm entitled "Cyclist: Scourge Of The Streets"
Details of the content don't appear to be available, but the title indicates it's not going to show cyclists in a good light.
I'm still awaiting any response from South Yorkshire Police regarding the 'hate the cyclist journalist'. I suggest we send any complaints regarding the Channel 5 feature to all the Police Commissioners we are able to, if we consider it appropriate for us to take action.
FP

Just looked it up.
The title is:- "Cyclists:Scourge of the streets?"( the question mark makes all the difference :wink: ) With the description "Motorists and cyclists have their say on who causes the most harm on the roads"
So perhaps not what you think after all,hopefully.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

reohn2 wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:Via Planet X I have been alerted to a 'documentary' next Tuesday Channel 5 at 9:15 pm entitled "Cyclist: Scourge Of The Streets"
FP

Just looked it up.
The title is:- "Cyclists:Scourge of the streets?"( the question mark makes all the difference :wink: ) With the description "Motorists and cyclists have their say on who causes the most harm on the roads"

I am wary about calling it before anyone much has seen it, but judging from cycle promotion circles on twitter nobody involved thought to ask lots of Usual Suspects who are generally pretty accessible, very well Clued up and very willing to talk on the subject. Which I suspect is not a good sign.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I heard a TV trailer for it last night, it sounded like they intended to show both sides of the "argument" and the name was deliberate audience-bating.

However, it is a TV documentary so I don't expect much and don't plan to watch it.

It will be nice if they point out how many "cyclists" are also "drivers", and how many of both sides merrily get on with their lives without RLJing or KSIing anyone. It will be nice if they honestly present some reliable road safety statistics, and it'll be nice if they don't spend an hour replaying the same 20 minutes' worth of interviews, slightly rearranged.

It'll be nice if the bush blooming outside turns out to be a bacon tree, but we'll see.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
horizon

Post by horizon »

toontra wrote:
I now realise that there is a huge swell of public hatred towards cyclists. Why? I have absolutely no idea.

Interesting.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

toontra wrote:A pedestrian walked out right in front of me the other day on a busy north London street. He raised his arms to protect himself, pushing me into the back of a car and onto the ground. I was only going about 8mph so no lasting damage to him, me or bike. So far so bad.

What happened next was truly shocking. A crowd formed - other pedestrians, car drivers, taxi drivers, etc. They all started berating ME - shouting, swearing, calling cyclists every name under the sun. None of them had seen the incident and weren't actually interested who was to blame. They just wanted to vent their anger at a cyclist. At one point I was actually in fear of my safety. The situation was only diffused after about 20 minutes with the help of another cyclist who bothered to stop and stick up for me.

What an awful experience. Did you report it to police?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pjclinch wrote:I am wary about calling it before anyone much has seen it, but judging from cycle promotion circles on twitter nobody involved thought to ask lots of Usual Suspects who are generally pretty accessible, very well Clued up and very willing to talk on the subject. Which I suspect is not a good sign.

Pete.

I take your point,we'll have to wait and see.Like you I'll not pass judgement until I seen the program.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

reohn2 wrote:Just looked it up.

I am off to Ch5 HQ. I shall be pitching a new docco:

"
**** in Audis: Are they selfish ******s that **** everyone off?"

Some Audi Drivers and some normal people have their say on who are the biggest ******s.
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

As a cyclist and a motorist I would agree that this hatred against cyclists is real, it is happening, and I believe it is going to get worse.

I am not sure that we have a chance to appeal to the police, legal establishment, media, or politicians for any help with improving this.

Just as the uber-rich retreat behind barbed-wire and private security companies, cyclists also need their own infrastructure and protection. Perhaps a 100% looting tax has to be levied against all the taxes raised against the carbon industries. This money could then fund complete grade segregation especially at junctions and when crossing roads.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mike Sales wrote:A fairly obvious thought is provoked. Has there ever been a Motorists : Scourge of the Streets equivalent documentary?

Yes, but they've generally been Trojans for the motoring lobby to complain about private parking companies and congestion charges (I'm thinking of ITV's "Driving: The True Cost").

Is this yet another revised repeat of "War on the Streets" which I think has been shown at least three times on different networks (BBC, Pick and 5)? If so, well done to the production company for getting money for old rope but boo to the commissioners for keeping on stirring up hatred.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mjr wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:A fairly obvious thought is provoked. Has there ever been a Motorists : Scourge of the Streets equivalent documentary?

Yes, but they've generally been Trojans for the motoring lobby to complain about private parking companies and congestion charges (I'm thinking of ITV's "Driving: The True Cost").

Is this yet another revised repeat of "War on the Streets" which I think has been shown at least three times on different networks (BBC, Pick and 5)? If so, well done to the production company for getting money for old rope but boo to the commissioners for keeping on stirring up hatred.

Hardly an equivalent to the doc I suggest. I started watching one, but quickly realised it was just uncritical coverage of motorists whingeing.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mattheus wrote:I am off to Ch5 HQ. I shall be pitching a new docco:

"
**** in Audis: Are they selfish ******s that **** everyone off?"

Some Audi Drivers and some normal people have their say on who are the biggest ******s.

Attacking Audi drivers would certainly get more general agreement than pointing out the problems with mass motoring.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Hatred is a harsh word. Personally never felt hatred only scared due to ignorant and highly dangerous driving on the odd occasion. I can probably remember all of those occasions over 6 years of regular commuting by bike that's how rare my experiences of bad drivers is.

They don't hate us just some find us an irritant on the roads. Although I've seen cyclists who irritate the hell out of me through bad behaviour.

BTW there's no groups known as us and them. I'm a driver and cyclist and many other categories too. I don't really align myself to just one of those groups because I am not defined like that.

As to such a documentary as the op is painting, well don't watch it. It's probably on at the same time as a reality TV programme or soap so the real people that have an issue with cyclists and are dangerous probably won't watch it neither. Turn over and watch live island or the live island after show discussion or whatever else takes your fancy. I guarantee nobody will remember it in a day or two.

It sounds like the TV programming version of Internet clickbait. If you don't go for clickbait on the Internet don't go for it on TV! Simples! :D