Hatred against Cyclists

kwackers

Re: Hatred against Cyclists

Post by kwackers »

Vorpal wrote:
skyhawk wrote:Too many posts to read here but why do people believe that cyclists are perfect, I have as we have all seen them running red lights, jumping pavements to avoid lights, cycling on pavements SOD the pedestrians, running down the inside blind spots on lorries/busses

Come on

Why do people believe that cyclists have to be held to a standard of perfection in order to be treated with basic decency?

It suits some peoples world view to think that the reason they're treated so badly is because a motorist once saw a cyclist jump a red light.
If they think that they can blame other cyclists and live in hope that things will get better.

The truth is that people for the most part are mindless automatons who's consciousness is off with the fairies, pondering the meaning of the universe (or at least their next social post) whilst entrusting the operation of their two ton vehicle to their internal zombie.
Hence it also suits them because when they need to justify their unthinking behaviour they can spout off about some random cyclist they'd heard about / seen once. (Post decision rationalisation is an interesting subject, necessary so that your conscious is tricked into thinking it's in control).

Once you realise that then you understand that the chance of making it from A to B alive is entirely a throw of the dice and things aren't going to get better.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sounds like yet another London-centric "documentary" demonising all cyclists for an element of the capital's cyclists :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Personally I blame all the caravan towing emmets ;)
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:
skyhawk wrote:Too many posts to read here but why do people believe that cyclists are perfect, I have as we have all seen them running red lights, jumping pavements to avoid lights, cycling on pavements SOD the pedestrians, running down the inside blind spots on lorries/busses

Come on

Why do people believe that cyclists have to be held to a standard of perfection in order to be treated with basic decency?

Even worse, why do some people believe that all cyclists have to achieve that standard of perfection in order for us to be treated with basic decency when cycling?

And why do people believe we should waste time repeating our answers because they can't be bothered to read or search?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
AJSamuel

Post by AJSamuel »

See today's Guardian article for more details. There are some horrendous quotes. I wonder whether it crosses the threshold for a hate crime?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

skyhawk wrote:Personally I blame all the caravan towing emmets ;)

Must make me a doubley bad human being then as I've been towing a caravan* for thirty odd years

*not all the time,just when we go on holiday :wink: .
Last edited by reohn2 on 9 Jul 2019, 7:32am, edited 2 times in total.
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I suspect that most of us fall into al categories: walker, cyclist and motorist. I suspect, too, that most of us both offend and are offended against.
John
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Oldjohnw wrote:I suspect that most of us fall into al categories: walker, cyclist and motorist. I suspect, too, that most of us both offend and are offended against.

+1

I also suspect that many cycling 'offenders' are actually Audi driver, congestion charge avoiders, on bikes
AjJay

Post by AjJay »

I hope to record it and catch up with it later, although I have my misgivings about how cyclists in general will be portrayed.

As a slight aside....
I trust that we are all responsible, considerate, law-abiding cyclists; however, there is a sub-group that almost certainly are not.
I am referring to those that probably:
are not aware of this, or any other similar, cycling forum.
are not members of a cycling group.
do not take part in any cycling events.
have no involvement in promoting cycling.
have never looked inside the Highway Code.

I am of course, referring to the 'Oiks' on BSO's (bicycle shaped objects) that we see everywhere and who no doubt shoulder a responsibility for this hatred that is far beyond their number.

I'd like to say, "are you aware that your behaviour is causing a serious backlash against all cyclists and that we are all suffering as a result?"
I somehow don't think the response would be printable.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Stradageek wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I suspect that most of us fall into al categories: walker, cyclist and motorist. I suspect, too, that most of us both offend and are offended against.

+1

I also suspect that many cycling 'offenders' are actually Audi driver, congestion charge avoiders, on bikes

They might also drive Ford Fiestas.
John
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

reohn2 wrote:
skyhawk wrote:Personally I blame all the caravan towing emmets ;)

Must make me a doubley bad human being then as I've been towing a caravan* for thirty odd years

*not all the time,just when we go on holiday :wink: .

I know how you feel- I walk, cycle, tow a caravan and - lowest of the low in the eyes of 4-wheel charioteers and hells angels - drive a sportscar :twisted:
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Wanlock Dod wrote:

Come on

This is a short extract from the Beyond the kerb post linked earlier by the futility cyclist, and as predicted it seems remarkably appropriate here.
The game is basic stuff. Two parties, two decisions. If the guy with the bike obeys the lights and so does the HGV, no-one’s harmed; if he doesn’t, the guy with the bike might die. If the guy with the bike doesn’t obey the lights, and the guy with the HGV does, the guy with the bike might die; if they both jump the lights, the guy with the bike dies.

Basically, however badly people riding bikes behave their ability to maim and kill is rather limited. The same is not true of people driving motorised vehicles. Perhaps you could remind us just how many pedestrians are killed by people riding bikes and how many by people driving motorised vehicles. Stuff that annoys people isn’t the same as stuff that kills people.

Futility Cyclist, is that meant as a snide insult, I'm somewhat touchy given the unnecessary language previously on the thread but can you modify that thanks so that it is accurate.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I watched it,wish I hadn't :? :roll:
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Me too. Not sure why it merited the pre-broadcast headlines.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Me too. Not sure why it merited the pre-broadcast headlines.

It just serves to rack up the antagonism :? :twisted:
W H Auden