Heathrow expansion - cycling provision on re-routed A4

toontra

Heathrow expansion - cycling provision on re-routed A4

Postby toontra » 5 Jul 2019, 11:03am

I've just spoken to someone as part of the consultation process to ask what happens to cyclists currently using the A4 between Hounslow and Slough (as I do). Apparently the A4 is being re-routed somewhere to the north (and parallel to) the M4.

I suspect there will be some alternative cycle routes suggested but I would prefer to stay on a main road as I do at present. There is a bus lane for most of its length and it's the quickest way to go east/west.

I asked if there will be cycle provision on the newly-build re-routed A4 but answer there was none. Am I right in thinking that all newly-built A roads must include a cycle lane, and if so whether it's likely to happen in this case - and if not what we can do about it.

mjr

Re: Heathrow expansion - cycling provision on re-routed A4

Postby mjr » 5 Jul 2019, 11:23am

toontra wrote:I asked if there will be cycle provision on the newly-build re-routed A4 but answer there was none. Am I right in thinking that all newly-built A roads must include a cycle lane, and if so whether it's likely to happen in this case - and if not what we can do about it.

That was my understanding of the Interim Advice Note (IAN) 195/16 https://cycletraffic-elearning.com/ update to the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, but Highways England so far seem quite capable of wriggling out of it by arguing that there is currently no cycle traffic across the fields (green or brown) that the new road will cross so they don't need to provide any cycle route.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.