Wandering dog encounters - on and off the lead

skyhawk

Re: I have no idea where to post this - dogs on leads

Post by skyhawk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:When approaching a PwD person with dog from behind I move over to the left or right as appropriate and ring my bell in a friendly way so they may locate me without looking
Of course one goes slowly and is prepared to stop if necessary

Much of this applies to free-range children too :wink:

That is fine so do I but don't say you have never seen them suddenly use the full length of the lead, things happen
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Tangled Metal

Re: Wandering dog encounters - on and off the lead

Post by Tangled Metal »

Round here it's usually the dog owner saying their dog is alright but making no effort to restrain. We jump through hoops restraining our dog when cyclists or runners pass. We know she's safe around bikes and has no interest in humans running unless it's us, but nobody else does. So we've got to account for that.

Not every dog owner is fully considerate of the issues nor are they fully inconsiderate. There's many who do care just don't realise the issues for others. Not everyone rides bikes and some might not have a clue user dogs on extendable leads are a nightmare. A loose dog might avoid you by moving across your path to safety. A tethered dog doing that presents added hazards. That's why I don't agree with long leads of any type on a linear route like shared path or towpath. They do have a place though. I think a simple long length of rope is always better for control.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

skyhawk wrote:Or not whatever the case.

Having just returned to cycling my main fear is coming off, at 61 I am not old but not a teenager.

We are using the Swansea (will find more) coast path, nice cafe and sun, oh also Anglesea by the coast LOVELY places, so clean and tidy.

However already I have had a bust up with a tourist from Devon who without warning allowed her dog full run of the 30' lead, her reply was, bloody cyclists how dare you endanger my dog.

She was walking in the direction I was travelling so had no idea of cyclist coming from behind. Thankfully as with driving I missed it as anyone knows you are always ready for the other person to do something stupid, but it was close.

"We have no trouble on Devon cycle paths where I live, cyclists show more care and consideration"

From today camera on helmet, are there any rules on cycle paths, I have emailed the Council to ask but these days you never ever see dog wardens etc.

Some people who are startled or feel that one of their dependants (child, dog, etc) is at risk get aggressive, they shouldn’t do it automatically but they do. I think that when things go wrong or badly the most useful thing to do later is to reflect on how I could have managed the situation better. In this case making people aware has already been mentioned, and being friendly is almost always better than being argumentative. Please learn not to worry about who is right or wrong because what’s actually important is for you to be safely on your way and to do so without making enemies.

Dogs are dogs, most folk love them and typically all that Dogs want is a pat and some kind words. Yes Dogs can be a hazard to cyclists but there are much worse hazards to look out for, give yourself a treat: learn to love dogs - but obviously do it with care.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Carlton green wrote:
skyhawk wrote:Or not whatever the case.

Having just returned to cycling my main fear is coming off, at 61 I am not old but not a teenager.

We are using the Swansea (will find more) coast path, nice cafe and sun, oh also Anglesea by the coast LOVELY places, so clean and tidy.

However already I have had a bust up with a tourist from Devon who without warning allowed her dog full run of the 30' lead, her reply was, bloody cyclists how dare you endanger my dog.

She was walking in the direction I was travelling so had no idea of cyclist coming from behind. Thankfully as with driving I missed it as anyone knows you are always ready for the other person to do something stupid, but it was close.

"We have no trouble on Devon cycle paths where I live, cyclists show more care and consideration"

From today camera on helmet, are there any rules on cycle paths, I have emailed the Council to ask but these days you never ever see dog wardens etc.

Some people who are startled or feel that one of their dependants (child, dog, etc) is at risk get aggressive, they shouldn’t do it automatically but they do. I think that when things go wrong or badly the most useful thing to do later is to reflect on how I could have managed the situation better. In this case making people aware has already been mentioned, and being friendly is almost always better than being argumentative. Please learn not to worry about who is right or wrong because what’s actually important is for you to be safely on your way and to do so without making enemies.

Dogs are dogs, most folk love them and typically all that Dogs want is a pat and some kind words. Yes Dogs can be a hazard to cyclists but there are much worse hazards to look out for, give yourself a treat: learn to love dogs - but obviously do it with care.

+1

I personally think dogs are a complete waste of space but I have to admit that in this dog mad country, I'm in a minority. In the interests of a peaceful world I think this is good advice