Cycling and the Law

BarcodeUK

Cycling and the Law

Post by BarcodeUK »

Like it or not the recent program on TV got people talking and one thing I noticed is that few people actually understand the law in relation to cycling. The highway code covers it mostly of course but many people don't know the distinction between the MUST (law) and the other advisory advise contained within.

So I thought CyclingUK are bound to have a really good guide open to all. Sad to report I was wrong. I have searched the public site and didn't find anything.

Please, can we have a simple guide to cycling law, cycling advice and the need for insurance etc. readily accessed both from the perspective of the cyclist and the motorist? I'm thinking of quick points like:

Law
You MUST obey traffic signals, if you do not then a fine can follow.
You MUST NOT ride on pavements
You MUST have working lights at night
etc.

Advice
Helmets
Using cycle lanes (many say if there is a cycle lane you must use it - wrong)
Footpaths
Cycling 2 abreast
etc.
Regards

Richard
Cugel

Re: Cycling and the Law

Post by Cugel »

BarcodeUK wrote:Like it or not the recent program on TV got people talking and one thing I noticed is that few people actually understand the law in relation to cycling. The highway code covers it mostly of course but many people don't know the distinction between the MUST (law) and the other advisory advise contained within.

So I thought CyclingUK are bound to have a really good guide open to all. Sad to report I was wrong. I have searched the public site and didn't find anything.

Please, can we have a simple guide to cycling law, cycling advice and the need for insurance etc. readily accessed both from the perspective of the cyclist and the motorist? I'm thinking of quick points like:

Law
You MUST obey traffic signals, if you do not then a fine can follow.
You MUST NOT ride on pavements
You MUST have working lights at night
etc.

Advice
Helmets
Using cycle lanes (many say if there is a cycle lane you must use it - wrong)
Footpaths
Cycling 2 abreast
etc.

Add to this that most of the advisory notes to cyclists are bad advice. Perhaps this bad advice should be winnowed from The Highway Code before it's then rewrit to have all of it's directions made into MUSTs? And then the MUSTs, writ as law, policed and enforced upon those who are subject to them, in particular the dangerous fools in cars and other motorised vehicles. Enforcement and punishments to be scaled according to the degree of potential harms, which means light fines for cyclists and heavy punishments for potential motorised murderers and maimers.

Cugel.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
gaz

Post by gaz »

BarcodeUK wrote:I have searched the public site and didn't find anything.

Odd, I found this quite easily: https://www.cyclinguk.org/campaigning/v ... ur-and-law (the linked briefing doc seems to provide the info you are looking for).

There’s plenty more where that came from too: https://www.cyclinguk.org/campaigns/briefings

Ultimately the HC applies to all road users and already explains MUST and SHOULD. Few people ever refer to it once they’ve passed their driving test, unless they’re trying to prove their point in an online debate :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have the same rule whether walking, cycling or motoring: be careful and courteous. It's kept me out of trouble for many decades. The behaviour of the other idiot is, of course, beyond my control.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote:I have the same rule whether walking, cycling or motoring: be careful and courteous. It's kept me out of trouble for many decades. The behaviour of the other idiot is, of course, beyond my control.

You can try to anticipate and forestall dangerous others, so it is not entirely beyond your control.
It is a pity that this can be seen as discourteous by some.
Taking the road is a good example.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I try to obey the law but it is difficult when near motrons, one may rely on their breaking certain laws
Ignoring STOP signs for example, most cannae read
Maybe there should always be three people in a car:
One who can read
One who can write
The third to keep an eye on those two intellectuals
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gaz

Post by gaz »

I like this one.
3FD9876B-1C67-4314-A029-E8324B476056.jpeg

Sorry, I don’t have the other side to share.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Ah, I recognise this, both sides can be found here :-

http://www.cyclox.org/wp-content/upload ... or-web.pdf

It took a long time to agree the wording to get all the endorsements from the organisations at the bottom, but we got there eventually.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »