Letters: Help! The New Forest is becoming a suburban park

Bonefishblues

Re: Letters: Help! The New Forest is becoming a suburban park

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:Ropes left around tree boughs can be a problem, but frankly, when I see a rope swing I am gratified that kids are still getting out there and making swings, building dens, and swimming in rivers. That is how I spent my leisure time in my 1960s childhood. I'm far more worried about the kids who spend too much time indoors.

+1 it used to be called adventure,now it's unfortunately termed as danger :?

I met a strange hairy man (curmudgeon? troll?) when playing in the woods in the gloaming
He is described in a book: 'Stig of the dump' :wink:

I believe the latest issue is now re-titled "Stig Goes on the Offenders Register" to better reflect modern times.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Story alert:-
When a wer oh lad there was a chap who wasn't a full shilling and who we were led to believe was the result of his experiences in WW2.
He used to stand at a junction of two roads in the village where I lived and was known as Billy Clapper.The term was attributed to him because he'd stand there all day clapping his hands first in front of him then behind in a rhythmical motion,he'd pass the time of day with anyone with a smile.
The story goes that one day Billy was 'on duty' when a furniture van stopped and the driver's mate asked Billy "do you know the way to Westhoughton"(a local town about five miles away).
Billy answered "no".
To which the chap in the van said " you're daft aren't you?".
Billy said "yes,but I'm not lost"
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:+1 it used to be called adventure,now it's unfortunately termed as danger :?

I met a strange hairy man (curmudgeon? troll?) when playing in the woods in the gloaming

I believe the latest issue is now re-titled "Stig Goes on the Offenders Register" to better reflect modern times.

It is a series, 'Stig becomes an influencer and gets millions of clicks' is published next month
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I met a strange hairy man (curmudgeon? troll?) when playing in the woods in the gloaming

It is a series, 'Stig becomes an influencer and gets millions of clicks' is published next month

Get you, down with the kidz :D