Cycling Promotion by Example

Carlton green

Cycling Promotion by Example

Post by Carlton green »

I’m wondering what members feel that can do and do do in terms of cycling promotion by example.

In my own community I can be seen cycling to my local parks and shops, and once there my bike is parked for all to see as and advertisement of what you can do on a bike. I don’t use those local roads which have fast moving traffic on them (as needed I use quieter ‘back’ routes). However, having occasional seen other cyclists on those ‘fast’ roads I begin to question my judgements of danger and wonder whether I can reliably manage the hazards well enough. Locally I have benefited from people driving well whilst I cycle - hope that that’s not tempting fate - and when I drive my car I see other motorists behaving well towards cyclists - I understand that that is not the case everywhere.

So, in summary, I promote cycling by example and have it promoted to me by example too.

What have other people done and/or found ?
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Barks

Re: Cycling Promotion by Example

Post by Barks »

Simply cycle in accordance with the Highway Code and be be courteous and considerate to other road users; I do exactly the same when i’m driving my car, it’s no mystery. Such a shame that some others believe that the rules don’t apply to them,
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Both these things, really, and acknowledging the cyclists who behave similarly when I happen to be in the car, such as those who wave me past once they can see the road's clear around the bend I've been following them around.

It's not rocket science (as we've been learning this weekend!), just having an appreciation for others and displaying the courtesy towards them that you would want them to display to you.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Pedestrian, cyclist, motorist: with care and consideration for others. Pretty straightforward.

I'm reasonably well known in my small town and setting a decent example is important. So as well as modelling good behaviour just being seen on a bike doing ordinary stuff will, I hope, encourage les autres. I am looking to buy a small utility trailer for large shops and trips to the tip etc. Thus, too, will be seen: initially mocked but hopefully emulated in due course.
John
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Oldjohnw wrote:Pedestrian, cyclist, motorist: with care and consideration for others. Pretty straightforward.

I'm reasonably well known in my small town and setting a decent example is important. So as well as modelling good behaviour just being seen on a bike doing ordinary stuff will, I hope, encourage les autres. I am looking to buy a small utility trailer for large shops and trips to the tip etc. Thus, too, will be seen: initially mocked but hopefully emulated in due course.

Yes, that’s the type of thing, displaying lifestyle choices and behaviours that encourage others to cycle too.

With regard to a trailer I think that an excellent idea. At one time I used mine (two wheel horizontal bed type) quite a bit but changes in needs and lifestyle now mean that it now lies unused. If I shopped in bulk (ie one large weekly shop) from my local Supermarket then I’d be very tempted to use something like the bike hod, but for trips to the tip and most other things I think a flat bed is more versatile. My day to day bike has a large plastic box attached to the back rack. It will take two ‘bags for life’ carriers, so quite a useful volume for shopping and a demonstration to others that cycling with shopping can be easy and simple.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I take part in advertised group cycling day trips to local events and sights, sometimes as navigator, sometimes as backmarker. One recent one was to the Wisbech Rose Fair.

I smile and greet friendly people who I pass in the villages. Motorists I know beep and I wave. Not in town though: too many people cycling and walking and they eye you with suspicion if you speak to them!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:Both these things, really, and acknowledging the cyclists who behave similarly when I happen to be in the car, such as those who wave me past once they can see the road's clear around the bend I've been following them around.

If you cannot see the road is clear, you must not go. I was once forced into the hedge by an oncoming road user directing an incompetent motorist to overtake round a blind bend when I was there. I never knew if the director was incompetent or malicious.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Both these things, really, and acknowledging the cyclists who behave similarly when I happen to be in the car, such as those who wave me past once they can see the road's clear around the bend I've been following them around.

If you cannot see the road is clear, you must not go. I was once forced into the hedge by an oncoming road user directing an incompetent motorist to overtake round a blind bend when I was there. I never knew if the director was incompetent or malicious.

Yes, I understand that. I'm not offended if the driver chooses not to act on my signal, but I know it to be clear for them to go, because I can see that it is.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The single most thing that promotes cycling is being polite and courteous to other road and trail users and to stick to the HC where practical and safest.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mjr wrote:

Yes, I understand that. I'm not offended if the driver chooses not to act on my signal, but I know it to be clear for them to go, because I can see that it is.

Only a policeperson in uniform may direct traffic, you cannot 'know' it is safe, I would not trust you or anyone to decide for me

If you are in the practice of trying to wave others out, trying to direct traffic, I earnestly hope the cops see you and give you a good talking to
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Cycling is like any other aspect of life, and try and treat others as you would like to be received yourself.

When on the bike, certainly for shorter hops, I wear normal clothes other than SPDs and mitts. I don't have any belief that helmets and hiviz provide any benefit anyway, but dressing up in PPE and hard hat doesn't project an image that cycling is safe and relaxing.

I started leading a series of fortnightly rides a few years ago which highlight and use traffic free routes in and around my town as much as I can. Once you get to know the place there is quite a decent hidden network that can be stitched together, and I want to pass that info on
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
mjr wrote:If you cannot see the road is clear, you must not go. I was once forced into the hedge by an oncoming road user directing an incompetent motorist to overtake round a blind bend when I was there. I never knew if the director was incompetent or malicious.

Only a policeperson in uniform may direct traffic, you cannot 'know' it is safe, I would not trust you or anyone to decide for me

If you are in the practice of trying to wave others out, trying to direct traffic, I earnestly hope the cops see you and give you a good talking to

Quite right too. PM me and I'll send you my details to pass on. Do be careful though, lest you fall foul yourself:
https://www.inbrief.co.uk/offences/wasting-police-time/

Pushing buttons again, I note - or attempting to, anyway :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Right again Bonefish, pressing the button when riding by is effective, pleases me when I am driving too

Might the police charge themselves with WPT, wasting police time?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

+1 for gazza_d's comments:
"Cycling is like any other aspect of life, and try and treat others as you would like to be received yourself.
When on the bike, certainly for shorter hops, I wear normal clothes other than SPDs and mitts. I don't have any belief that helmets and hiviz provide any benefit anyway, but dressing up in PPE and hard hat doesn't project an image that cycling is safe and relaxing."

And when driving I try to be extra-considerate to the cyclists I encounter on my local busy urban roads but often suffer the ire of impatient following motons who I may unintentionally discommode as a result (maybe if they're that busy and consider their progress to be so important that endangering the life of a cyclist isn't an issue we should supply them with blue lights & sirens......).
In frustration I've just ordered a couple of these: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/4641563 ... -car-decal to put in the back window of the cars I drive. Hopefully they'll then know what I'm about, or if they catch me on a bad day, why I'm getting out of my vehicle to have a word!
Whatever, it's no bad thing to let other drivers know you're a cyclist too. It may even influence their attitude and follow my example - those that even care!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

philsknees wrote:+1 for gazza_d's comments:
"Cycling is like any other aspect of life, and try and treat others as you would like to be received yourself.
When on the bike, certainly for shorter hops, I wear normal clothes other than SPDs and mitts. I don't have any belief that helmets and hiviz provide any benefit anyway, but dressing up in PPE and hard hat doesn't project an image that cycling is safe and relaxing."

And when driving I try to be extra-considerate to the cyclists I encounter on my local busy urban roads but often suffer the ire of impatient following motons who I may unintentionally discommode as a result (maybe if they're that busy and consider their progress to be so important that endangering the life of a cyclist isn't an issue we should supply them with blue lights & sirens......).
In frustration I've just ordered a couple of these: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/4641563 ... -car-decal to put in the back window of the cars I drive. Hopefully they'll then know what I'm about, or if they catch me on a bad day, why I'm getting out of my vehicle to have a word!
Whatever, it's no bad thing to let other drivers know you're a cyclist too. It may even influence their attitude and follow my example - those that even care!

I understand that these Motons as you so amusingly term them are driven (see what I did there) into a frenzy by the mere sight of a bicycle, so you may experience a Pavolvian response to your displaying that sticker.