Grant Shapps, Transport Minister

mjr

Grant Shapps, Transport Minister

Post by mjr »

What do we know about Mr Shapps and his views or actions on cycling? https://www.welhatcycling.org.uk/2017/0 ... -response/ suggests he is a utility and charity/endurance cyclist. Maybe not so much of a tourist or racer?

Over time, maybe this topic can be used to record his record, as it were. At least the dooring one has gone.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
whoof

Re: Grant Shapps, Transport Minister

Post by whoof »

mjr wrote:What do we know about Mr Shapps

suggests he is a utility and charity/endurance cyclist. Maybe not so much of a tourist or racer?

Over time, maybe this topic can be used to record his record, as it were. At least the dooring one has gone.

I think the last part is the comparision. How will he be in comparison to Chris Grayling, Patrick McLoughlin, Justine Greenings and Philip Hammond.

The transport secretary rides a bike as does (or probably now did) the Prime Minister, who seems more a utiliarian cyclist than a racer. Will they raise the profile of cycling as a form of transport and provide the funds, infrastrucuture and policing to support this? It would be nice to think that they would but as they are both politians they will more than likely lean to the self perpetuating majority which is the car.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

He is an unscrupulous chancer like his boss.
See my quotes on the Writing to Grayling thread.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Well I just read his Wikipedia entry and to me it seems that Grant Shapps is in the government to look after Grant Shapps.
visionset

Post by visionset »

squeaker

Post by squeaker »

mike whittaker wrote:should answer your concerns...

http://www.britishinfrastructuregroup.u ... -cover.pdf

Oh what a giveaway :roll:
"42"
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

From the report:

"UK towns and cities have been taken over by traffic light controlled junctions, bus lanes, cycle superhighways, congestion charges and blanket speed restricted zones"

Can anyone tell me where these towns that have been taken over by cycle superhighways are, please? They sound great. I might move there.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:From the report:

"UK towns and cities have been taken over by traffic light controlled junctions, bus lanes, cycle superhighways, congestion charges and blanket speed restricted zones"

Can anyone tell me where these towns that have been taken over by cycle superhighways are, please? They sound great. I might move there.

I can tell where there not if that helps :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Absolutely staggering... :D
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Wanlock Dod wrote:Absolutely staggering... :D

His corona virus update?

I watched it and he did mention walking and cycling a lot...
I mean a *lot*, so much so I got the impression that he may think he means it.

Are we really going to turn the page and head towards cycling nirvana?

Of course convincing Joe P is another thing entirely, even if they're out and about on their bikes at the moment doesn't mean they'll want to ride them to work, particularly if it's cold or raining...

Mind you, if public transport is changing and no longer has the capacity then shifting everyone into cars is going to produce some of the worlds longest car parks so something has to give.

Also say's they're bringing their e-scooter trials forward to next month.
I guess that will require some quick changes to the HWC...

I'm feeling strange - it could be excitement.
Best not get too heady on it, the reality is bound to disappoint.

[youtube]UlteeyvX-3g[/youtube]
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

By coincidence, I noticed in yesterday's Daily T that it was the birthday of Ruth Kelly, a name which older readers may remember.
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Andrew Gilligan is unseen and unheard and I suspect behind some of these possible changes. The last report Gilligan did for the NiC (Running out of Road) was really good.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

atlas_shrugged wrote:Andrew Gilligan is unseen and unheard and I suspect behind some of these possible changes. The last report Gilligan did for the NiC (Running out of Road) was really good.

It does seem to be an area where there's more hope for progress with local rather national initiatives. See Boardman's efforts. And local emission zones.

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote:
atlas_shrugged wrote:Andrew Gilligan is unseen and unheard and I suspect behind some of these possible changes. The last report Gilligan did for the NiC (Running out of Road) was really good.

It does seem to be an area where there's more hope for progress with local rather national initiatives. See Boardman's efforts. And local emission zones.

Which leaves us with the postcode lottery at the mercy of the likes of that idiot in Lancs and being able to literally see the join between places like West Midlands with quiet lanes and cycleways and being dumped into the gutter of 60mph roads as you enter Warks :(

The time for localism and bidding must end. We need national funding, national standards and a national plan. Remind Highways England they are not Motorways England.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

We keep imagining - hoping against hope - that if we wait long enough, a tory (or indeed any political stripe!) government minister will emerge, who'll save the day and wave a magic wand around to cast spells that'll make cycling in the UK great! This only goes to show how poorly designed the human brain really is!!
One simple idea to get your head around, folks, is this: Shap is interested in cycling for two reasons: One - to get workers into work so money can be made and taxes paid. Two - to further his career.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)