Council limiting modes of transport to a cycling cafe

David9694

Re: Council limiting modes of transport to a cycling cafe

Post by David9694 »

Great news as regards the injunction, but where does this leave us as regards the rules on those terrible, terrible cyclists’ meets? do not the original planning conditions still apply?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

CyclingGuy wrote:Well it looks like common sense has finally prevailed and the council has withdrawn all their objections - which of course is nothing to do with the alleged complainer moving out of the house behind now.

Oh jeez - does anyone know where he has mover to??
CyclingGuy

Post by CyclingGuy »

David9694 wrote:Great news as regards the injunction, but where does this leave us as regards the rules on those terrible, terrible cyclists’ meets? do not the original planning conditions still apply?

The 'meets' were because the owner originally had cafe club rides starting from the cafe at 8am on a Saturday, as soon as he was informed that this was a breach of planning regulations he stopped them so as not to be in breach.

Cyclists can now 'meet' there while they're on a ride, or arrive as a group, they just can't start / stop a ride there which is how it's been since day 1 (the inadvertent breach excepted of course).
Read about my adventures on the British Cycle Quest at: http://www.quest.nwarwick.co.uk
CyclingGuy

Post by CyclingGuy »

mattheus wrote:
CyclingGuy wrote:Well it looks like common sense has finally prevailed and the council has withdrawn all their objections - which of course is nothing to do with the alleged complainer moving out of the house behind now.

Oh jeez - does anyone know where he has mover to??

Hopefully somewhere that requires a plane trip or boat journey to get to!
Read about my adventures on the British Cycle Quest at: http://www.quest.nwarwick.co.uk
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

There does seem to be multiple aspects to this case, but perhaps it would be most advantageous to our own cause as responsible cyclists seeking to promote and integrate cycling into the British psyche rather than have this 'them and us' attitude, to look at what we can influence.
People in groups, and one chap all by himself, at my local gym are capable of making a great deal of noise by 'just talking'.
It's no good and tantamount to head burying, to say "oh well they're just sensitive, "I" am not bothered with loud talking"
Lets police ourselves so our enemies don't have any easy ammunition. Learn to speak only loud enough to be heard by your listener, stop the moronic macho shouting across rooms and spaces. It's 2019, we're supposed to be a civilized world, I expect even the ancient Greeks had some sort of rules about shouting.
Behave in a way that if it was happening to you, wouldn't annoy you. Sure, this cafe used to be a pub and so might have been noisy at times, but remember, the neighbours probably complained even then if disturbed at 11.09PM.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

If it had gone to court the council would have been exposed as acting in an improper manner and discriminatory at the very least, it would have likely exposed them to all sorts of dodgy goings on and back slapping/brown envelopes I reckon.
It's a shame it didn't go the full distance having gone that far, to me it was obvious they would back down with the threat of being fully investigated and their BS exposed publicly, it would have put other councils on notice that actions such as here's won't be tolerated in a supposed tolerant and honest society!